The Peak... Has Become The 12 Mile

tan the fisherman

I am heading to the peak for the first time on Saturday morning and wanted to ask some questions to the Raiders that have been there before.

I have searched through the forums and have found some info.

Im hoping to troll a couple of new Rapala Magnums and a Bluewater Classic F18 that I got over xmas, either there or on the way there.

The captain (a friend of a friend) knows a heap but Im getting impatient :1prop::1prop: and want to know what to expect.

What depths are we talking about?

Whats the bottoms like - is it a reef?

Is it bottom bouncing or trolling or other?

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments Raiders!!

I CANT WAIT!!!

Edited by tan the fisherman

Enjoy it - you will have ball, make sure that you troll some smallish skirts as well as the divers - you will probably find some triped tuna as well - good fun.

Troll a big lure if you are feeling lucky and have everything crossed - you could hit something much more lively.

Cheers

Hey mate, take a few 200 gram knife jigs and catch some Yakkas. Send the Yakkas to the bottom and while your waiting for them to get smashed jig your head off!!!

Oh and send a yakka on a balloon that way you will cover all basis!

Youll catch something!

PM if you like mate, ive fished there a lot and know it well.

As BillyD stated, bring some 200gram jigs, drop them to the bottom and jig your head off, just check the sounds and work the depth the fish is holding, if they are hold 20m off the bottom jig past the mark and drop again, that way your not just jigging water and trust me your arm will burn from just jigging. Hopefully the kings are thick and the jackets are not around.

Cheers,

Sz1

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!

Now we are going to the 12 mile - any advice?

Thanks

It might be worth trolling those big minnow lures at the 12 mile. There have been reports of 10-15 kg yellowfin there. You can also jig for kings there, although it is not really the season for them on the deep reefs it is still worth a try, especially if you see strong shows on the sounder.

Definitely get another rod and troll some skirts around and if one goes off don’t be to scared to chase the fish with the pointy end of the boat while someone clears the line.

The Botany Bay Game Fish tourny is on this weekend so ther should be a few boats out and about trolling that area.

Good luck

if you have room on the boat bring as many rods as possible

dont have to have them all out just have them rigged up for all situations

nothing worse then having only 1 rod and a school hits the surface and you have a 300gm jigg on your only rod i like to always have 3 rods ready to go one with jigg one ready for live bait and another with a big sluggo

nothing worse then rerigging in the middle of a shit storm leads to bad knots and loss fish

happened to me last weekend still having nightmares

Hi There 12mile is about 110m as said above it is not the season for kingy jigging but there should still be some around. 200g-300g will get you to the bottom if the wind is up and the current is strong even 400g will be ok.

It is always worth chucking out a skirt when heading out there as you never know what might come along.

good luck and look forward to hearing your report.

Hey I was out at the peak today and the current was ripping through there same at the fad. When we were drifting were doin around 3 knots. I droped a 400gram knife jig and is wasnt stayin vertical it was around 30 degree angle. We lost a bait rig to jackets so I ripped up the jig and didn't drop it back down.

We saw a Couple of boats at the fad (near the peak).the current was ripping though there as well and you couldent stay near it. I tried a couple of different types of lures and didn't get and takers but I got a. Couple of followers on Soft plastics.

I haven't fished 12 mile recentaly so I can't say anything about it.

I would troll some rapla magnums or x-raps and some x-mas tree lures.

Good Luck hope u do better than I did.

Mitch

Edited by fisherboy

Gday Raiders,

First of all - THANKS to all the Raiders that gave me their advice on the Peak and the 12 mile.

Here's what happened.

Well we all met at Watsons Bay Wharf at 6.15am as instructed and boarded the vessel for a 6.30am departure. There was plenty of banter as we made our way out through the heads and a few boats hugging north head.

We had planned to go to the 12 mile mark as per my previous post however the radio was giving us bad weather warnings as far as wind was concerned so we hung within a km of the heads especially given the fact the the BBFC had called off their fishing tourney due to weather.

We pulled into a little bay on the south side to catch some yakkas - we only managed 2 yakkas, a mado and a couple of other useless species - all were thrown back except the yakkas.

We ventured further out as the wind had calmed done considerably. We managed 3 smallish bonnies drifting about 500m off south head - by this time it was 8ish am.

The fish just werent around so we jigged the colours for a few leather jackets believe it or not.

When we consistently caught 4 - 5 small ones we decided to move on as werent after them or the associated hassles. It was good though because a couple of newbies got to experience jigging first hand. Sargent Bakers, a decent sized Rock Cod and one just short Snapper - 28cm. All thrown back in.

Then we trolled my two new lures to Dee Why for nothing. A bit if bottom bouncing off Dee Why for only throw backs.

Bottom bouncing just off North Head for 3 flatties, a Rainbow Wrasse and a mowie that went close to 50 cm.

We caught plenty of undersized flatties and big Sargent Bakers which were all thrown back.

Back to Watsons Bay at about 1.30pm for a quick dip and a beer and we went back to Darrens place for lunch.

All in all, a great day out, the fish were few and far between however we converted one bloke - who now loves fishing - and we all had a ball out there.

The catch is pictured below

post-6058-1264319806_thumb.jpg

Edited by tan the fisherman

Boil the wrass up with a house brick and then eat the brick..hahaha

If ya clean the gut cavity thoroughtly you dont get the ammonia/ taste and they are pretty nice with some lemon and herb sauce and a plate of fries and salad.

Nice feed though Tan, well done.

:0

Edited by wannabefisho