Protecting Cork Grips

Hi Raiders,

I've always been a proponent of leaving the cork grips of my rods natural and never had any problem with it breaking down. I still don't have any problem there but protection from the elements and blood/guts/slime has got to be a good thing, right?

I've tried products before and never been happy because they've either unacceptably (to me at least) changed the look of the cork or worse, changed the feel... often leaving it sticky or slippery. I've even tried another brand of what was called "Lanolin Grease" but it wasn't like this stuff...

before

post-6175-1264142229_thumb.jpg

apply Lanox lanolin grease liberally... rubbing it in well with a soft cloth, then wipe off the exccess

post-6175-1264142243_thumb.jpg

after

post-6175-1264142252_thumb.jpg

No appreciable change in the look or feel of the cork yet now it has a protective coat that has penetrated the cork.

I thought I'd give it a whirl mainly because of the brand name... I love Lanox & Innox and this stuff rocks.

All my cork gripped rods are going to get this treatment now.

Cheers, Slinky

I found it at a boat dealership on the Gold Coast... give Craig at Huett Marine or Pete at Go Fish a call and see whether they stock it. I imagine it comes from the same distributor as Innox so either might be able to order it in. It's the first time I've seen it so it might either be a new product or perhaps one that just doesn't have good distribution.

Cheers, Slinky

Alright, I'll take a look around, Would you happen to have any others you would recommend that could be found at most hardwore stores or the likes ?

My cork handles for some reason have some sections that are 'breaking' apart.

I know some other raiders have some products they like... I've never found anything else I'm happy with from a look & feel point of view though. The right product is whatever you're happy with so have a look at any other responses we get in the thread.

Cheers, Slinky

Lanox is great stuff - I have had aerosol cans of it for years now & often use it in preference to Innox on my reels!! Didn't know they sold it like that tho!!! I recently found a tube of Innox grease which I grabbed. Must keep my eyes peeled for the Lanox too!

GOod find, Slinky!!

Roberta

Hi Slinky, I Clean the Cork with Metho and a rag first, then I brush on some Two in One Wattle Stain and Varnish the one I use is in Teak gives a great look and not to dark. I started to use it on my first cork rod about 17 years ago and it still looks like the day it was done. :thumbup: Cheers RAY

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I use clear varnish on all my handles And i use my rods atleast twice a week and there perfect. They dont fall apart and they clean real easy, Just the spray varnish is fine, Atleast 3 coats. Its good to have someone help you. While you spray they turn. Did it by myself once not a good idea runs everywhere. But i wouldnt go back. I wouldnt mind trying this Lanolin Grease looks good.

Cheers

Benny