Cooking Skate/stingray & Carp (much Maligned Fish)

arpie

Hi all

Just watched a repeat episode of Cook & the Chef where they cooked up Stingray flaps (also known as Skate) and carp! Both meals looked very appetising! May give the skate a go one day when I catch a decent one! Sometimes I see a stingray on the beach that has been caught & tossed up the beach - which is a shame - I tend to put them back ....... but if big enough, may well try the recipe below!! Only takes seconds to cook. They used an eagle ray, not a banjo or other ray.

Apparantly Carp is an absolute favourite for a lot of Europeans around Xmas time - they put their order in months in advance to make sure they have one for their Xmas Dinner (much as we do with our hams!) From memory, they tend to cover them in pasty & bake them, but this recipe is good old dusted in flour & pan fried, with some flavoursome additions.

Anyone interested in looking at the recipes, check the episode out here

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1657444.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Leo

My sister cooked skate up years ago to a French recipe with a cheese sauce & I recall it tasting rather nice, with texture somewhat like chicken fillet! This was a pretty big skate wing flap tho! :1yikes: Nothing like the little ones I catch off the beach or rocks! I did hook a massive ray once, off the rocks at Burgess Beach - the water was so clear I could see it powering out to sea, so deliberately cut the line, rather than being spooled! :(

Never tried carp before (notice how similar it is spelled to 'crap'?) tho! They emphasise it needs to be iced immediately upon capture for the best results ...... same as most fish, I guess. Treat 'em right & they give you a feed.

Cheerio

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

Funny - after switching to Hard bodies and softies my ray catching days are all but extinct....reckon I've caught one in the last 5 years after it hoovered a 2' Gulp shrimp up at Grays Pt.....there are certainly thousands of the things in Conjola and Nambucca though.

Heaps of banjos and stingrays hooked off the beaches up here. I hooked a monster stingray on One Mile Beach once & was praying it was a jewie - it wasn't & it stripped the gears on my reel, too! I'd followed it up & down the beach & finally saw it flapping in the shallows, so just cut the line! :1badmood: Should have brought it in & cooked it!! :wacko:

Roberta

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Just watched a repeat episode of Cook & the Chef where they cooked up Stingray flaps (also known as Skate) and carp! Both meals looked very appetising! May give the skate a go one day when I catch a decent one! Sometimes I see a stingray on the beach that has been caught & tossed up the beach - which is a shame - I tend to put them back ....... but if big enough, may well try the recipe below!! Only takes seconds to cook. They used an eagle ray, not a banjo or other ray.

Apparantly Carp is an absolute favourite for a lot of Europeans around Xmas time - they put their order in months in advance to make sure they have one for their Xmas Dinner (much as we do with our hams!) From memory, they tend to cover them in pasty & bake them, but this recipe is good old dusted in flour & pan fried, with some flavoursome additions.

Anyone interested in looking at the recipes, check the episode out here

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1657444.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

My Mum just love Ray skates.

I met a guy in Tumat 10 years ago and he had two carp in a fish net for two days in clean water, he says that flushes all the mud out of them, he BBQed one that afternoon and invited us over, gotta say it was great eating.

• 2 months later...

Back home growing up in Catholic old Ireland meant that Friday was always Fish and Chips for dinner and Ray was always my favourite. My Aussie girlfriend tried it a couple of years ago when we were in Dublin and she totally loved it.

The really funny thing is bones from the wing are soft, edible and taste OK.

I don't know what the eating qualites of the Australian varities are like but I wouldn't be throwing a Banjo or Eagle back!!!

Hi Marfoir and Roberta.

HAHA. Pam used the exact words the first time I used the expression.

If I did try that I would be shell shocked.

Regards Rick.

PS, I will have to start using those emo-cons

for better expressions.

• 8 months later...

Hi there Roberta, i have eaten both, and i have to say that i enjoyed both of them , the Carp was cooked by a work mate that owned an Indian restaurant, he chopped it into cutlets, shallow fried it then placed it in a curry sauce and simmered it for some time, if i found the same thing at an indian restaurant today i would order it before i ordered anything else, as for the skate, i really love deep sea thornback ray, it has a very rough skin , as for the other rays that we come across eg eagle rays etc i do take the odd one from time to time, kill it first before i cut the wings off, and keep the rest of the body for crab bait that way i dont waste anything, the wings i skin by dipping in boiling water for a few seconds then scrape the skin with a knife , then cool down in cold water . cut into half inch slices deep into steggles chicken coating mix found at woolworths super market and shallow fry in canolla oil till golden brown, a squeeze of lemon and...... try it you will see what i mean.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...