Banning Electric Fishing Reels

Heres some info on the elecric reel ban that i beleive is totally hiporcritical, Basically power assisted reels will be banned unless you have a disability... I agree electric reels are not traditional but neither are digital sounders, or high tech whaling boats, or 99% of commercial fishing practices... Is krudd gonna offer a buy back like j howard did with the rifles? everyone bring this up at your next club meeting and send off emails in distgust...

Advisory Council on Recreational Fishing

Outcomes from Meeting 47 – Tuesday 25 August 2009

Cronulla Fisheries Centre

Attendance

Bruce Schumacher (Chair), Kevin McKinnon, Neil Ryan, Charlie Howe, Sanchia Glaskin, Max Castle, John Clarke, Ann Garard, John Humphries, Adrian Wayne, Ron Croker, Claudette Rechtorik, Jan McLeod, John Drew

10. Electric reels

Electric fishing reels are generally used when targeting deep water fish species such as

gemfish, blue-eye trevalla (blue-eye cod), hapuku, banded rock cod (bar cod) and bass groper.

Electrical reels appear to be increasing in availability and popularity. The current bag and size limits were developed based on traditional harvest methods of deck/hand winches. The bag and size limits are currently 5 deep sea fish in total, only 2 gemfish, and a boat trip limit of 10 gemfish. With such limits in place, deep water species can also be prone to high grading. They also are unlikely to survive any catch and release practices.

I&I NSW is becoming increasingly concerned about the current escalating investment and use of electric reels for fishing in NSW and potential impacts on deep sea fisheries resources. The majority of council members considered the use of electric reels was not a, traditional, acceptable form of recreational fishing and therefore, the use of powered/electric reels should be restricted.

Note: Electric reels are often necessary to allow people with disabilities to fish successfully. It is considered that the use of electric reels by people with disabilities is acceptable. Electric reels are also commonly used by charter boat operators but are already heavily restricted by the boat limit of 10 gemfish.

Motion: The council supports the banning of electric reels, subject to a permit system for

acceptable use (e.g. to assist disabled fishers). The council recommends that the ban be

implemented during the next review of bag and size limits and that the Minister consider issuing an investment warning in the near future to advise the recreational fishing sector of this position.

Moved: Charlie Howe. Seconded: John Drew. Carried. (Against: John Humphries, Ann

Garard, Neil Ryan).

Here's a link to the entire meeting. Makes for some interesting reading as well...

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...21/ACoRF-47.pdf

I may not be everyones best fan here but i agree with banning electric reels. To me fishing is a bit of the hunter gatherer trait in me and i know many are going to say why not fish with vine or something like that. I disagree as with rods you still need to overcome many factors to get them in the boat. With electirc reels all you do is send it down, then after a determined wait press a button for it to come up. Pathetic. I have never caught a marlin but seen many that have. This is what i call "fishing". Man vs beast.

They should have looked more closely at this style of fishing before letting electric reels be sold on the open market. As usual put something up for sale, accept the taxs paid & then tell you you can't use a legal bought item. Mind you I think the ban is good just they should refund the money to anyone who returns one .

Regards Jeff

I don't see a problem with electric reels if someone for example wants to go to

all the expense and effort to travel 40ks out to sea, and cube for a tuna or two

and someone on that boat drops a rig attached to an electric reel 400-500 mtrs to

the bottom and try and get a feed of Blue eye or Gemfish. This surely helps to

justify all the effort and fuel costs to the :wife: and rest of the family when the

Tuna aren't biting.

If the govt wants to ban em they should pay fair and just compensation to those

that already own one.

cheers

I don't see a problem with electric reels if someone for example wants to go to

all the expense and effort to travel 40ks out to sea, and cube for a tuna or two

and someone on that boat drops a rig attached to an electric reel 400-500 mtrs to

the bottom and try and get a feed of Blue eye or Gemfish. This surely helps to

justify all the effort and fuel costs to the :wife: and rest of the family when the

Tuna aren't biting.

If the govt wants to ban em they should pay fair and just compensation to those

that already own one.

cheers

+1 :1fishing1:

+ 2 John I'm sure there would volumes of positives to come..I can't see why not have an electrical if it's going to make reeling in a fish easier for those who elect to use them and the thing is you've still got to catch them.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thats ridiculous! All above who have said its not fishing etc think about it!! Your catching 20kg++ fish over 500m deep, the object of this style of fishing is to put fillets on tables not enjoy a sporting fight. I dont think more people head out because electric reels are available either. Australia is becoming so over regulated its not funny!

Banning a particular type of reel is a bit daft; if there is a concern on the numbers of deep water fish that recreational anglers catch then they need to review the bag limits. Or maybe reducing the TAC that the commercial sector has would be a better answer; at the end of the day the number of deep water fish caught by recreational anglers really doesn't compare to what the pro's can catch.

Cheers

Rob