I Dunked My Shakespeare Catera 1000

arpie

Hi SLinky

:( I've done it again! THis time my little Shakespeare Catera 6625 (1000 size) spinning reel - it was very briefly dunked in salt water this morning when I was rushing to put the yak in the water so Keith could have the car! :(

I immediately gave it a good 'pour all over' with my clean drinking water, but very soon, it started going stiff.

Obviously, I have to get into it & have a go at 'doing the bearings' etc.

I remember you laid everything out on a white towelling cloth in the order of taking off. I have some reel grease & oil (but not the quality that you have) and Lanox & Inox plus Inox grease in a tube.

Actually, I have 2 of the same reels that need doing, as Cam dunked one a few weeks back - we washed it well & virtually soaked the insides of it with Lanox & Inox ..... but, if I am going to pull one apart, I may as well do both!!

I can email you a copy of the parts if you like? Just tried to see if it was online, & couldn't even find the Shakespeare site!

THey are lovely little reels & suit my fishing style, so would like to get them working well again! :wacko:

Cheerio & Thanks

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta.

I have an old Catera 4525 from way back that has been dunked, abused & is now JJ's reel.

I'm going to Slinky's this w/end ( hopefully!) to pull apart a whole heap of my reels & service them.

I'll take the Catera with me & we'll do a job on it & post it up for you. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Good one Grant!! Glad I am not the only one!! Make sure you take the video camera as well! Have it going for the whole time, as well as stills of each step!!! I wished I'd done that last year when Tony serviced another little reel of mine! The Catera 6625 are very nice little reels with 6 bearings (not bad for about $50!), and I have 3 (2 of which have been dunked recently!) So I still have the other one in pristine condition (hopefully) that I can pull apart to see where I went wrong this afternoon!!

WIth Slinky's able assistance on the phone, he talked me thru the whole thing, but somewhere along the line, i blamed the manufacturer for only 5 rollers in the 6 chambered Anti Reverse thingo .... and when i tested the anti reverse, it didn't ....... so back to the drawing board, but I will wait until tomorrow - I am almost cross eyed from concentration for most of the afternoon! Then I found the missing roller on the floor .......and a washer I hadn't even noticed had gorn! Humble apologies to Shakespeare!

Oh yeah - and I got off lawnmowing duties today, but must do the edges tomorrow! :(

Many thanks, once again, Slinky - I will open up the one 'good one' to see how it is loaded & take more pics when I get to the cylinder (my downfall this time! I forgot!) and if I can't get it together tomorrow, you could well have 3 reels arrive on your doorstep for Emergency Resusitation!!!

Cheerio - hope I can live up to your expectations!!! :wacko::tease:

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Good one Grant!! Glad I am not the only one!! Make sure you take the video camera as well! Have it going for the whole time, as well as stills of each step!!! I wished I'd done that last year when Tony serviced another little reel of mine! The Catera 6625 are very nice little reels with 6 bearings (not bad for about $50!), and I have 3 (2 of which have been dunked recently!) So I still have the other one in pristine condition (hopefully) that I can pull apart to see where I went wrong this afternoon!!

WIth Slinky's able assistance on the phone, he talked me thru the whole thing, but somewhere along the line, i blamed the manufacturer for only 5 rollers in the 6 chambered Anti Reverse thingo .... and when i tested the anti reverse, it didn't ....... so back to the drawing board, but I will wait until tomorrow - I am almost cross eyed from concentration for most of the afternoon! Then I found the missing roller on the floor .......and a washer I hadn't even noticed had gorn! Humble apologies to Shakespeare!

Oh yeah - and I got off lawnmowing duties today, but must do the edges tomorrow! :(

Many thanks, once again, Slinky - I will open up the one 'good one' to see how it is loaded & take more pics when I get to the cylinder (my downfall this time! I forgot!) and if I can't get it together tomorrow, you could well have 3 reels arrive on your doorstep for Emergency Resusitation!!!

Cheerio - hope I can live up to your expectations!!! :wacko::tease:

Roberta

You've done the important bit Roberta... gotten the water, salt and crud out of the bearings. As long as all the parts are there, the reel will go back together in good order. Better that than have it sit for a week or 2 and need a whole new set of bearings.

Cheers, TJ

I don't know about videoing the whole thing Roberta! :wacko:

I'll take the piccies & give you a call while we're at it.

You're not wrong about a good reel for the $$$. I got an 11kg jew on mine on 3kg line while breaming. :biggrin2:

Hopefully we are tired & stinky from our jew session on Sat night! :thumbup:

If we manage to get Slinky a nice jew I'll start calling him Stinkymalinky!!! :074::074:

Cheers,

Grant.

....I always have bits left over......or have to drill extra holes.....or buy extra bits...... :1yikes::1yikes:

And I was trying so hard to do it right this time! Normally I find the 'JEsus Clip' - that's the one when you open the side & something goes 'Kerchang' past your face & onto a deep shag pile carpet ..... never to be seen again! :(

....If we manage to get Slinky a nice jew I'll start calling him Stinkymalinky!!! .....

Hey Grant, that's quite a catchy name!! It might just stick!! :074::074: Nah - it's after holding numerous pike that you get stinky hands, for sure!

I love those little reels - I used to use 2500s but now, won't go past the littlies. Also, have been deliberately building up a stable of the same model, so the spools are interchangeable (I have 5 spools so far, with different lines on 3 & 2 with 4lb crystal.)

I may just swap my other fav rods to them too! :biggrin2:

There is method to my madness!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hope you get that Jewy for Tony!!

Will be back at my maintenance desk (aka dining room table) tonight after dinner - I forgot to recharge my camera battery & need to take the 2nd reel apart to see the error of my ways with the first one!!!

I've been tied up with other chores during the day - yes, including doing the lawn edges! :wacko: Boy! That was a stinking hot job, too!!

Cheerio

Roberta

OK, after taking the 2nd reel apart & greasing it & putting it together again, the same thing had happened!!! The anti reverse wasn't working! :1badmood: Maybe I'd put too much grease in the grease clutch!? Slinky had come to the same conclusion, so I took it apart and carefully removed the one way clutch & cleaned the inner sleeve, then cleaned the plastic clutch with the 5 little S/S rods in it, then cleaned the outer casing (which was the actual one way clutch)...... and whilst cleaning this, discovered some very fine 'ridges' running down the centre in the outer sleeve!! I hadn't noticed them previously :wacko: and this shows just how important it is to be observant and meticulous in how you take the reel apart & place it on your white mat ..... in the exact way it came from the reel. If you clean it, make sure you rotate it at least twice (or any even number) before placing it down again!

I turned the outer casing 'over' and replaced it - VOILA!!! I got my anti reverse working again!! :thumbup::yahoo: I put the barrel all together again & screwed the faceplate back on, then the spindle back in, the spool holder & rotor nut & then the spool. oooops Somehow, I had 'misplaced' the little screw that holds the rotor nut in place, but that is not a major ...... and I found a very thin metal washer left over ....... Oh Well!! Slinky had rung to check how I was going & was really pleased that I had found the error of my ways & the reels were spinning again! Filled with grease, he said the bearings may make it a little 'firmer' when winding, but it's not too bad. He also said not to worry about the spare 'washer' as it was probably a 'spacer' which would not be included on the schematics diagram, as each reel differs ever so slightly from another, just in the machining of parts etc, & not to worry about it! Put it somewhere safe so i have it should I need to add it somewhere else, one day!!

I quickly disassembled the other reel & turned the outer sleeve of the one way clutch around & once again, had the anti reverse working, without cleaning the grease off everything! :yahoo: I compared the washers & screws & couldn't find a place for the thing on either reel, compared to the washers shown on the schematics drawing. I went to put the screw on that holds the rotor nut in place & found that if I screwed it up, the spool wouldn't rotate at all!! :wacko: So I removed it & have put it back into the tub with the bottles of Penn grease & Penn oil that I have been using - well, the grease I have used so far, not the oil!! Slinky had suggested that I pack all the bearings with grease, to increase their chances of surviving another dunking, as it could be more likely, fishing from a yak!

Oddly enough, the reel that Cam had dunked in the new year had less of the emulsified grease in it than the one I dunked just the other day!! We had sprayed it fully with Lanox when we got back & it really did seem to 'do the trick'. I had bought the reel 2nd hand for $20 & even tho it worked, it was always 'noisy' and I really thought it would be handy mainly for parts (plus the full spool of about 6lb crystal braid that is worth about $30 too! ;) )

So, now my next job is to attack the Bail arm & try not to lose bits from there!!! :wife:

Wish me luck!!

Many thanks Tony for all your help so far ....... you may still get them back with stuffed bail arms to repair!!!

CHeerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Slinky

I've stripped the drag washers all out & cleaned them in white spirit, but I don't have any of the 'specific' drag grease. Had a look at Barclays but couldn't spot any that was specific to drags - just Penn reel grease & oil from memory & I already had some of that (plus inox grease in a tube, which is food frade quality grease for no melt, high temp, & extreme pressure .) Should I rub that into the soft washers between the metal ones?

Thanks

Roberta

And the roller on the bail arm is stuck solid!! I have put some WD40 on it to try to break the bond. I now have some white spirit too, for cleaning everything (including the washers which now await their grease before going back.)

Edited by Roberta

Okie Dokie, I put one of the reels to the test on the weekend & it survived 2 days on the water in the yak (not in the water! :biggrin2: ) so was really pleased that it behaved as it should.

CHatted with Tony today & we decided I could try the Inox Grease in a tube (Premium food grade machiner grease that is No Melt, High temp & extreme pressure, highly resistant to water, salt, chemicals & drying!) So I have put it on the cloth washers in the drag & will test it out next time I am on the water!!!

Just have to try to get that 'seized' roller off the bail arm & then do my 3rd reel (same model!)

Cheerio and thanks again, Tony

Roberta

Ummmm, anyone know who the local Shakespeare Parts importer is? :wacko:

I finally got the metal line roller off the bail arm after soaking it with WD40 many times, but the plastic sleeve it sat on was still stuck solid to the metal bit. I assumed the plastic was the 'crisp' sort, not 'soft' & was a bit aggressive with it ..... tearing it as I tried to get it off with pliers (and forgot to put cloth around it, between the part & the pliers! :ranting2: )

Oh well, not too bad - it all went together again, even with the tear (eventually!) and is still 'sort of siezed', which is how it must have been for some months ........ but hopefully I will find the spare parts somewhere & replace both roller & plastic sleeve!! :tease::wacko:

CHeers

Roberta

Ummmm, anyone know who the local Shakespeare Parts importer is? :wacko:

I finally got the metal line roller off the bail arm after soaking it with WD40 many times, but the plastic sleeve it sat on was still stuck solid to the metal bit. I assumed the plastic was the 'crisp' sort, not 'soft' & was a bit aggressive with it ..... tearing it as I tried to get it off with pliers (and forgot to put cloth around it, between the part & the pliers! :ranting2: )

Oh well, not too bad - it all went together again, even with the tear (eventually!) and is still 'sort of siezed', which is how it must have been for some months ........ but hopefully I will find the spare parts somewhere & replace both roller & plastic sleeve!! :tease::wacko:

CHeers

Roberta

Hi Roberta... PM sent