Yamaha 115 Re-prop

toxicfish

G'day all,

I'm after a bit of advice from the guru's out there-

I'm looking to reprop my Yamaha 115HP 4Stroker (08 model)- but 1st i'll post the info that i'll be asked before advice can be recieved ;-)

It's pushing a Whittley CR2080 (new name for the 550 model), it has a permatrim fitted (which rides as it should in the water, (it can be seen when on plane at full stick with trim)

At present it is fitted with a 17K black yamaha stainless prop

I achieve a WOT of 67kph at 6000rpm with about 50% trim; in flat conditions, trimming out further lets me hit the rev limited of 6100rpm at about 70% trim.

In tight turns, the motor/prop lets go, which i wish to resolve, even trimmed all the way in.

In a following sea, it does slip a bit.

And, what i do with the boat - Fish, Ski, Wakeboard, SCUBA and Cruising/overnighting.

So there ya have it folks, if anyone can offer some advice, that would be great as a starting point, I have been told 2 potential props:

1) Solas HR Titan 4 in a 17p (or a 15p if the Yammy cant handle a 17p 4 blader)

2) Solas New Saturn 17p

Any ideas/advice greatly welcomed - i really would like to reduce prop slip at holeshot and also during hard turns (for skiing/boarding etc)

Thanks in advance...

Scott.

Over to you Huey!

Toxicfish if you don't get an answer in the forums then ring Huey from Huett marine. (Site Sponsor)

He'll give you the best advice & a great price on whatever you choose.

Cheers,

Grant.

thanks mate,

secretly I was hoping Huey would reply to my topic (aswell as those more learned than me) so that others considering a reprop would also benefit from the info... Errr, especially yammy 115 owners :1prop:

Hi Scott, your revs are good with the 3 blade 17 inch and what the 4 blade prop will offer is better grip, acceration and load carrying. You will lose a few MPH up top and I doubt you would be able to turn the 17 inch so try a 15 inch first and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Huey.

In tight turns, the motor/prop lets go, which i wish to resolve, even trimmed all the way in.

This statement confuses me, i would have thought that if it is doing this when trimmed all the way in that the motor is too high on the transom/not far enough in the water? or possibly something to do with weight distribution in the boat if the motor is at the correct height?

What causes a prop to slip apart from being too high in the water?

When trimmed out you would expect the prop to let go quite early in the turn too?

Scott, it can be said that Yamaha, like Honda, make exceptionally well engineered motors. What can also be said, unfortunately, is that they do not put the same amount of research into their props. I have just had a similar issue with my new Honda 50, which when delivered had the same size prop as the older 40hp carby model I had, and, like you , I was experiencing slippage or no bite in certain circumstances - a bit like wheel spin. A chat to Steve from Solas in Brisbane convinced me to try their Saturn stainless - same diameter and pitch - 11 1/4 x 13 - but a different shaped blade to the factory prop. Job done and problem 95% solved. Just have to install a foil and that will become 100%. In saying that, Solas did offer me a money back guarantee if I was not happy.

Hope this helps.

Tuffy

Hi Scott ,

I run the same 115hp yamaha four stroke on a 5.6 metre aluminium centre console and am seeing the same top end speeds and similar revs , I also have fitted a permatrim as i carry heavy loads some days and have the 17 k prop. Now your boat is achieving the correct speeds and the correct revs it just sounds like you ned to trim your motor down all the way if you plan to do aggresive boat turns . Changing props to one of the others just to achieve 2 km/ hr faster is a big gamble as it may even go slower or be to big and your $ 1000 dollars plus will be wasted . Yamaha spent alot of money on t designing there props. If you do change over let us know the result But $ 1000 buys lots fuel.... :thumbup:

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

Hi Scott ,

I run the same 115hp yamaha four stroke on a 5.6 metre aluminium centre console and am seeing the same top end speeds and similar revs , I also have fitted a permatrim as i carry heavy loads some days and have the 17 k prop. Now your boat is achieving the correct speeds and the correct revs it just sounds like you ned to trim your motor down all the way if you plan to do aggresive boat turns . Changing props to one of the others just to achieve 2 km/ hr faster is a big gamble as it may even go slower or be to big and your $ 1000 dollars plus will be wasted . Yamaha spent alot of money on t designing there props. If you do change over let us know the result But $ 1000 buys lots fuel.... :thumbup:

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

thanks for the advice all, I can assure you I trim in all the way for aggressive turns, and the grip is still not there. It can be said that I could lower the motor by one hole, but then it will be sitting a bit low, causing drag and sinking the permatrim when on the plane..

I'm not after an increase in top speed, but rather better bite from the prop during turns, better acceleration instead of lots of slip etc, so I think I'll go with a 15pitch four blader and see what comes of it, I'll report my findings, but I do have to wait a month for payday to roll around ;-)

thanks for the advice all, I can assure you I trim in all the way for aggressive turns, and the grip is still not there. It can be said that I could lower the motor by one hole, but then it will be sitting a bit low, causing drag and sinking the permatrim when on the plane..

I'm not after an increase in top speed, but rather better bite from the prop during turns, better acceleration instead of lots of slip etc, so I think I'll go with a 15pitch four blader and see what comes of it, I'll report my findings, but I do have to wait a month for payday to roll around ;-)

Hi Scott ,

I would lower the motor one hole as the yamaha 17k prop on your motor should not be cavitating on tight turns with the trim fully down ... You will be lucky to lose 2 - 5 km/ hr off top speed , thats if you lose any at all. You may not have to buy this prop after all , in turn saving you money for other boating toys... :thumbup:

Cheers Dogtooth....... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

• 7 years later...

hello  toxicfish  did  you  end  up  getting  the  solas titan 4 15pitch ?. my boat  is  heavy  like  yours  solas  usa suggested  that  prop  for  me  just  wondering  how  many  rpm  difference  to  the  17k yamaha prop  it  must  have nearly  2x  the  blade  area  of  the 17k ?. ian 2

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, ian 2 said:

hello  toxicfish  did  you  end  up  getting  the  solas titan 4 15pitch ?. my boat  is  heavy  like  yours  solas  usa suggested  that  prop  for  me  just  wondering  how  many  rpm  difference  to  the  17k yamaha prop  it  must  have nearly  2x  the  blade  area  of  the 17k ?. ian 2

ian2 please post a  new thread with your questions in Boating.