Harbour Blackfish

rickster

As with others, if anyone would like to give the harbour blackfish a go, i'd be more than happy to help show this fine art.

Best times are yet to come, normally March/April through to June/July.

Will be landbased, could be anywhere from Vaucluse to start of Parra River.

Your rod or i have a spare, something around 10ft and light, centrepin or threadline, i can supply the rig/float etc.

If no more rain can ALMOST promise a few for the dinner table.PM if interested, looking for in about 1 months time.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick

Im a pretty average nigga fishamen i seem to catch a fair few fish in the georges river at certain times of the year but when i try for them of the ocean rocks around the illawarra area i have no luck. I only seem to catch those peskie werrie fish i think they are called and some drummer but never any nigs.

Do you have any tips on catching them of ocean rocks ie: types of areas i should be fishing, water depths and times of day to target them

Any information would be appriecated

Hi Victor,

i fish the rock almost exclusively in summer unless the weather is shit. We see a lot of guys out there that we know will struggle to catch blackies and 90% of the time it's because of their rig/presentation. Best way to learn is carefully watch the experienced guys and how they fish. is your bait presentation the same as theirs,(not too big and covering the hook) are you fishing the same depth, are you berleying(most important). Float needs to be weighted as fine as you can get, but showing enough that you can still see it. don't use anything heavier than about 3kg trace. you may lose a few but isn't that better than not hooking any at all? i still use the mustard green sneck hooks, size 8, no bigger. unfortunately the peak season for the rocks has finished, mate and i actually gave it a good go yesterday morn for 3 fish and conditions were perfect.

seems the best these days is from around september until november. and remember, correct clothing/footwear.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Rick

We generally use a rod around 12ft. Remember the longer the rod, the further you can cast, the better you can strike, plus it gives you better control when actually playing the fish.

Anything less makes it harder work.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I read you offer of taking someone out fishing for blackies & I would like to take you up on your offer. I have only just got back into fishing for them last year mainly around Lambeth Park at Picnic Point. It's a fine art fishing for them & I would like to learn more. I have all my own gear so that isn't a worry. I have had some success at Lambeth Park, but there are times when your fishing besides another guy & he's getting downs & hookup & your not & you ask your self why & what am I doing wrong. Hopefuly you maybe able to show me.

Waiting on your reply

Regards

Paul (Scrubby)

Thanks for the advice fellas i think i fish in spots that are too deep of the rocks i fish of a lot of the LBG ledges ill try for them in shallow water

Hi Victor,

Don't worry about spots that you think may be too deep. i've fished some very deep spots and i know LA has too. As long as there is weed/cabbage growing at your feet that can get washed in then you'll find fish. As a bit of a guide, if you can fish about 12-14ft deep(even if it's 25ft deep) and there's growth on the rocks around you, you're likely to be in a good spot. If you fish in water that's a bit shallow, you're asking to catch cockies or get busted by pigs. We've seen fish schooling off the rocks just a few feet below the surface, there not always sitting inches from the bottom.

Rick

victor,

rickster is right they ca nbe found at all depths depending on mood of the fish and conditions rickster would be familiar with the day i trudged round to althouse dead falt fish just a few feet from the surface as far as you could see and very agressive! try fishing a running bobby float as opposed to a fixed one about the size of a large quail egg in very deep water we fish for them that way at the gulf at Wattamolla.

• 1 month later...

As with others, if anyone would like to give the harbour blackfish a go, i'd be more than happy to help show this fine art.

Best times are yet to come, normally March/April through to June/July.

Will be landbased, could be anywhere from Vaucluse to start of Parra River.

Your rod or i have a spare, something around 10ft and light, centrepin or threadline, i can supply the rig/float etc.

If no more rain can ALMOST promise a few for the dinner table.PM if interested, looking for in about 1 months time.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick.

I never had a chance to catch Blackfish, as I fish mostly from a boat (deep sea, trolling and bottom bashing), and a bit of beach fishing.

I have most of the tackle, including a 12 feet rod.

As the time is right now, as per your information above, and the weather is really nice, I would like to take the opportunity to fish with an expert and learn a few tricks.

PM Sent as well

Vladimir

I am also interested. I am in the process of getting my first 13ft rod, so while we go for blackfish, maybe I can get some tips on how to use the big monster. I would much appreciate any help you can provide...and maybe a fish or two. Sent you a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my first blackfish.:yahoo::thumbup:

On Saturday Rick took me to one of his secret spots for blackfishing, I had never tried it before, as I always heard that it is very difficult to master the fine art of blackfishing.

But Rick was able to show an old dog new tricks, and I managed to land a few fish.

Thanks Rick for a very interesting day, and for sharing your knowledge, I think that there is a chance that I will became addicted to blackfishing. ( Last night I saw my wife googling for Rehab clinics that treat this terrible condition). :biggrin2:

The only complaint i had about Saturday is that Rick made me wear a hessian bag over my head for great part of the trip there and back. Is it an initiation ritual ??? :wacko:

Jokes apart, It was a great day and I look forward to the next ludderick session.

Thanks rick.

Blackfish-1.jpg

Vladimir

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest leisureman

Hi,

It is nice to know there are some out there sharing the art. I was out the other day, tried striking up, down, left, right & still couldn't get a hookup. Did think i had got there a bit late. Have been trying to find a few spots around Sydney as i normally travel up the coast to chase them. Would love the opportunity to fish beside someone else who loves chasing them and share tips and advice to improve hookup rates.Have all own gear and some green weed in stock at the moment. Often throw in a line between quotes during the day when work not flatout. Cheers Raiders!