Nsw Boat Licence

defyet

Hey,

Im looking at getting my boat licence (NSW) and i have been looking around on the net but im a little confused as to the requirements as im reading all these different things everywhere so can someoen confirm that this is correct.

I need to undertake the online Boat Safety Course + a Logbook with someone that has a valid licence for more then 3 years then sit the test at the NSW Maritime.

OR

Complete a Theory + Practical Test at a Boat Training place and then sit the test at the NSW Maritime?

Is this right?

Cheers,

Scott

Hey,

Im looking at getting my boat licence (NSW) and i have been looking around on the net but im a little confused as to the requirements as im reading all these different things everywhere so can someoen confirm that this is correct.

I need to undertake the online Boat Safety Course + a Logbook with someone that has a valid licence for more then 3 years then sit the test at the NSW Maritime.

OR

Complete a Theory + Practical Test at a Boat Training place and then sit the test at the NSW Maritime?

Is this right?

Cheers,

Scott

You've got it basically right.

Option 1 - logbook option. You can do these requirements in any order. Online course / logbook / pass the test. You just need all three together before you can get the licence. You can sit the tests at an RTA office anytime, costs $22 a go though. The RTA are not interested in the certificate of completion of the online course or the logbook. Once you have passed the test you take these to a NSW Maritime office.

Option 2 - I believe this includes the test as well. All you need to do is take the course completion certificate to NSW Maritime

Hey,

OR

Is this right?

Cheers,

Scott

This should clear things up, straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/boatingsafety.html

Cheers

Snooze

Option 2 - I believe this includes the test as well. All you need to do is take the course completion certificate to NSW Maritime

Thats the one i was unsure about, so if i did go to a boat training day i dont need to sit the test at the rta/nsw maritime, you basically just do the theory and practical with them?

Edited by defyet

Thats the one i was unsure about, so if i did go to a boat training day i dont need to sit the test at the rta/nsw maritime, you basically just do the theory and practical with them?

Not so.

I spoke to a few of the coast guards up here that run the training days.

You will get your boating safety ticket & in some courses some hours on your log book but you will still have to go to Maritime or the RTA to sit for your license.

I had plenty of hrs up so opted for the $11.00 online safety course & then did the test.

One tip is to do the online test heaps if times. The test questions you sit for are taken from the online tests.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Grant.

Depends on who you do it with. Check the links on the maritime nsw website. ABC is one that does the lot in one day. test included.

And definitely do the online test plenty of times. And pay attention to the things that you might not even be interested in - towing skiers and parasailers for example.

Thanks for the tips!

My old man has a boat licence so maybe ill just get him to fill the logbook out when i get a boat and we go out. He let he's licence expire 2 years ago, he had the licence for over 20 years and at that time there was no test involved but he never had a boat and had only let it expire 2 years ago Haha, but luckily you can renew it within 5 years of expiring without doing the test again so ill get him to renew it, always good too have someone else with a licence when you go out.

Just got to watch out i studied the online one and went down liverpool to do the test and i was told that the questions are from the book only no the online test's.....lucky for me i guessed right on the ones i hadnt studied for. :biggrin2:

Thanks for the tips!

My old man has a boat licence so maybe ill just get him to fill the logbook out when i get a boat and we go out. He let he's licence expire 2 years ago, he had the licence for over 20 years and at that time there was no test involved but he never had a boat and had only let it expire 2 years ago Haha, but luckily you can renew it within 5 years of expiring without doing the test again so ill get him to renew it, always good too have someone else with a licence when you go out.

are you sure that is the case? i thought once your licence expired you had to comply with the current regulations. if i am wrong i would be glad to be enlightened as i have a friend who moved address but forgot to notify waterways and as such his licence expired two years ago... i am sure he would be glad to hear your news if that is in fact the case.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by bisso

are you sure that is the case? i thought once your licence expired you had to comply with the current regulations. if i am wrong i would be glad to be enlightened as i have a friend who moved address but forgot to notify waterways and as such his licence expired two years ago... i am sure he would be glad to hear your news if that is in fact the case.

Cheers

Mick

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/licence.html - Scroll down to the picture of the boat at the bottom of the page, to the left of it says "If your licence is not renewed within five years of its expiry date you will need to complete the entire licence process."

Now that i read it again it says if its not renewed within 5 yeas you must do the entire licence process, i wonder though if its less then 5 years if have to you do part of the licence process or just renew it? I'll ring them up now and find out! :)

I just got off the phone to them and you can renew it within 5 years without sitting the test, you have to pay the renewal fee + $30 reinstatement fee.

The woman did say dont waste your money on those boating college's or one day courses because they are a waste of money and im better off doing the safety course - log book - licence test option which would only end up costing $40 or so, rather then $400 or whatever those all in one day courses charge to get the licence.

Edited by defyet

Having just completed the one day course with ABC Newcastle, worth it for me as a novice, I turned up to Maritime NSW office in Newcastle on Monday and gave them the paperwork from ABC and now have a boating licence, nothing further to do. Very simple and straight forward.

Having just completed the one day course with ABC Newcastle, worth it for me as a novice, I turned up to Maritime NSW office in Newcastle on Monday and gave them the paperwork from ABC and now have a boating licence, nothing further to do. Very simple and straight forward.

Is there any multiple choice (licence test) like the testing at the rta or nsw maritime? Or do they just speak about boating and you do the practical? How much was the course?

Is there any multiple choice (licence test) like the testing at the rta or nsw maritime? Or do they just speak about boating and you do the practical? How much was the course?

I did a 1 day course with ABC... yes you have to complete the multiple choice test but you have the advantage of the guy instructing you doing the checking. As well we did on the water traing & as a novice I leared a lot in that short session. The guys from ABC also took us in the boat to the Maritime office & helped us with all the papaerowrk. To me it was money well invested.

Paul

Guest Aussie007

ive only had my licence for about 10 years one time i let it expire and thought i wouldnt get back on the water i called up the waterways a few days before the 2 years was up i was lucky to catch it in time im glad to hear its now been lifted to 5 years and back than it was just a paper test with a book the receptionist at the liverpool waterways at the time gave me a book with all the correct answers circled with a lead pencil than rubbed off but was clearly visible i thought it was a trick i went and answered my own questions and got one or two wrong from memory as i was doing the boat licence and PWC licence at the same time when i handed over the testing book and paper the lady checked it and just looked at me like i was stupid LOL im not sure if the system is the same these days? my mate recently got hes boat licence he only mentioned a little bit said something about going out on a boat with an instructor than done the test and had hes licence that day altho he never drove the boat

Hi, I also got my license through ABC, I think it cost about $200. Having never driven a boat before, or really having any boating experience what's so ever, I was glad I ending up spending the extra dollars to get it that way. The instructor was very helpful and informative, and I learnt alot more then what I would just by reading a book. If I wanted to I could have got someone to sign my log book and get away with it really cheap but it would have been like given a 10 yr old car keys and expecting they would know what to do. At least when you learn to drive a car you have already spent thousands of hours with someone else driving, but I had probably only spent about 10 or 20 hours in a boat.

If you are coinfident that you know how to handle a boat it's probably a waste, but if you don't have mush experience i suggest you go about it the right way.

Hi Scott,

That is correct, you need to complete a boating safety course (BSC) which is the theory component, complete a practical componenet which can be done via the logbook system and then you can sit the test.

If you call the Blacktown office of NSW Maritime on 9831 7200 they will be able to send you the current handbook which needs to be studied and they can also book you into a Maritime run BSC ($12) and at the conclusion of the BSC you are able to sit the licence test.

Hey,

OR

Is this right?

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott,

That is correct, you need to complete a boating safety course (BSC) which is the theory component, complete a practical componenet which can be done via the logbook system and then you can sit the test.

If you call the Blacktown office of NSW Maritime on 9831 7200 they will be able to send you the current handbook which needs to be studied and they can also book you into a Maritime run BSC ($12) and at the conclusion of the BSC you are able to sit the licence test.

Thanks for that, I actually called the hotline the other day and i received my handbook and logbook in the mail yesterday, i have already watched the online presentation and printed off my certificate! I'm off to buy a boat on the weekend and taking it for a test drive with the owner so that will be Trip 1 for the log book, the other 2 ill get my old man to do when i get the boat. :thumbup:

So far i have done the online boating quiz about 30 times and i have passed everytime, so im hoping the test is the same questions as it spits out on the quiz, if so it seems pretty simple. :074: