Pressure Over Lake Macquarie Fish Kills

Gremlin

</h1>

<h1>Pressure over lake fish kills

BY DAMON CRONSHAW 11 Nov, 2008 04:00 AM LAKE Macquarie fishing groups have demanded that Eraring power station pay compensation for killing fish and that the NSW Government introduce spawning closures in the lake.The Herald reported on Saturday that two environmental studies, which Eraring financed, showed the power station killed tens of thousands of Lake Macquarie's fish every year.

The fish become caught in the power station's inlet canal, which sucks in billions of litres of water from the lake to cool machinery.

Lake Macquarie Responsible Fishing Association executive officer Bill Hasson called for the NSW Government to introduce spawning closures in parts of Lake Macquarie to compensate for the loss of fish.

"It is imperative that we have some sensible spawning closures that enable the biomass to build up," Mr Hasson said yesterday.

Lake Macquarie Concerned Anglers president Lionel Jones said Eraring should pay compensation for the fish killed.

"If Eraring has commissioned a survey into this, it means it's been aware of the problem and hasn't told anyone for years," Mr Jones said.

"People had speculated on it but this is the first real scientific evidence we've seen."

Mr Jones said Eraring should pay for an environmental study for a fish restocking program in the lake.

Responsible Fishing Association president Alan Keft said Vales Point power station was killing fish in southern Lake Macquarie.

"We want to ensure that Eraring and Vales Point address this issue," Mr Keft said.

NSW Opposition primary industries spokesman Andrew Fraser said the power companies and the Government must address the problem to protect the lake's recreational values.

Eraring said it was negotiating with the Department of Environment and Climate Change about offsetting the effects of its operation.

Wow I must admit I'd never really thought about this but that is a lot of fish and prawns etc being wiped out each and every year! looking at the scale of the issue something must be done about it like trying to minimize the number of fish sucked in somehow and restocking etc if that many fish get wiped out annually!

I would love to see the evidence...

I have fished there and in the inlet canals for bream and there are heaps there!

They bite so I don't think they feel threatened of being sucked in. The current is stronger down at the Enterance than in the canals!

I would be very suprised!

G

I knew a guy who worked at Vales Point power station and behind the turbines that suck the water in are big ponds where the water sits and then is sucked up into the station. He said that these ponds within the grounds are full of fish, he used to see heaps of them in there and they cannot get back out, this was about 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Leo