Jervis Bay Kingfishing And Sydney

evan rude

Hi raiders, I don't report much as i work overseas and only get to fish here at home about a month or two out of the year. So heres a little report of how iv been going the last couple of weeks.

I fished out of Jervis bay a week and a half ago targeting large king fish. It pretty much rained the whole time but at least the wind was down. Large squid and yakkas were quite easy to come by witch was a good start, anywhere with weed beds holding good numbers of quality sized squid, though couldnt get any slimies as the usual spots i try for them were over run with really small king fish and pretty much every bit of bait that went down was smashed by the little buggers.

I down rigged point perpendicular without a touch, also fished around drum and drumsticks drifting in the little bay there and off the point for a heap of kings from 55 to 70cm all on yakkas they werent touching the squid there, but every yakka was smashed. i was surprised to see the small kings taking such large yakkas. Also caught a few good pan size flathead in the bay there on some fresh squid strips.

On the calmest day we headed out to the banks with some extra large baits and found a spot in about 19m of water showing up heaps of baitfish and kingfish on the sounder, we decided to drift fish with strips of squid, live squid and yakka's the place was swarming with fish from 60 to 70cm smashing every bait that went down, we boated around 30 under and oversize king fish, most being released and one fish well over the meter mark witch was caught on 50 pound braid with 80 pound leader and took a large live squid witch was about 45 cm long. We got smoked by two others of this size, but If i get one fish of this caliber each time i come back I'm a happy man all year.

post-1344-126683711764_thumb.jpg

Ive been heading out to the sydney north head, and the sydney south FAD last few days, theres heaps of undersize dolphin fish and king fish taking small yakkas and stick baits, though no keepers but still fun on the light gear.

Ive also been fishing north head trolling small pink skirts and flicking around clear and white 6 inch stick baits. i found theres loads of bonito and small mack tuna in the evening around the water change line between the dirtier harbour water and the ocean water most times i was hooked up before being able to put the rod back in the rod holder when trolling around these areas.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by even rude

Top report Jason... :thumbup: Well done on the JB king , top effort in shallow water.. :yahoo:

Definately loads of bonito trolling the headlands around sydney at the moment , if you cant catch 10 in less than 10 minutes than you better make sure you took the plastic tubes off the hooks of your lures...

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile: