Hmas Adelaide

Bruce the Postie

G'day All,

Just wondering if anyone was planning to watch the scuttling of the Adelaide off Terrigal/Avoca later this month.

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

yep ill try and get out there.. you?

we were actually out off terrigal when the adelaide drove up to the haven.. it was very impressive driving past at about 100m!.. :1yikes:

Yep there are gonna dump her off Avoca actually not Terrigal as all the adverts are saying, gonna be busy around avoca on that day, might have to find a hidy hole around the rocks. She will go down only 1.7 k's off the beach....

My god I must be getting old,I bought out the first of the naval

ships from san diego.

I for one would not like to see it go down,not many matelots would.

still they do make the best reefs.

another old girl bites the dust.

Spoke to a diver who runs a boat out of Terrigal,he was telling me that the highest point of the ship will only be about 10 or so metres from the surface.

Should be a great spectacle to watch ,providing we can get anywhere near it!

Cheers,

Yep she's about 140m long and about 20m high sitting in 30m, might get some waves out there in a big south ground swell...

The organisers reckon we could get up to 30,000 or more people at Avoca that day, no surfing, swimming or fishing on the beach or rocks, mmm, that could be interesting.

full details here http://www.hmasadelaide.com/

What i would like to know is where can I dump over 20 ton of old paint and anity fowling that only the navy can use on there boats ,this stuff should be removed befor the sinking ,there is also ment to be asbestos in between the shetes of steel shrounding the engine aera ,it was used for noise and heat insulaition ,so as it rots apart you will be swiming in water that has some very dangerous particals floating in it .So who is going to eat fish out of the Avoca area ,simple way to fix this mess is to creat a nother marrine park that takes in an area of 10 k of shore line so we cant catch these fish and eat them.

They closed sydney harbour due to dixions in the water and fish .the most commom way dixions ocure is from fresh water run of after a large bush fire or the use of high temperture inceraters THE FALL OUT ,

Edited by customcasting

What i would like to know is where can I dump over 20 ton of old paint and anity fowling that only the navy can use on there boats ,this stuff should be removed befor the sinking ,there is also ment to be asbestos in between the shetes of steel shrounding the engine aera ,it was used for noise and heat insulaition ,so as it rots apart you will be swiming in water that has some very dangerous particals floating in it .So who is going to eat fish out of the Avoca area ,simple way to fix this mess is to creat a nother marrine park that takes in an area of 10 k of shore line so we cant catch these fish and eat them.

They closed sydney harbour due to dixions in the water and fish .the most commom way dixions ocure is from fresh water run of after a large bush fire or the use of high temperture inceraters THE FALL OUT ,

Ship cleaning and preparation

How the Ship has been prepared…

A significant amount of work is required to prepare the Ex-HMAS ADELAIDE for the scuttling and for its future life as a dive site. Work includes the stripping and cleaning of the ship as well as the creation and implementation of a dive design .

McMahon Services Australia were awarded the contract to prepare the Ex-HMAS ADELAIDE in June 2009 for an amount of $5 million. The vast majority of the cost of the work is centred on the cleaning and preparation of the vessel to ensure it will have no impact on the surrounding environment. Since this time they have been working closely with the Land and Property Management Authority, the federal Department of Environment Water Heritage and The Arts and various stakeholder groups to complete the work at the Sydney port Corporation Berth No. 2 at White Bay/Glebe Island.

All work to prepare the ship for use as an artificial reef and dive site is undertaken strictly in accordance with the relevant guidelines and stringent standards required under the Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act 1981. This legislation is administered by the Department of Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) who undertake regular inspections of the ship. DEWHA have also engaged an independent inspector to provide a review of the process.

Prior to the NSW government accepting the ship in June 2009, initial preparation works were undertaken at the Royal Australian Navys Fleet Base East in Sydney (Garden Island Dockyard). This included flushing lines to clear fuel and oils and stripping items that could be reused as operational spares for the remaining Adelaide class ships in the Navy's fleet including the missile launch unit, weaponry, electronic components and engines. Memorabilia and other historical items were also removed for future use by the Navy, RSL clubs, museums and the like.

Final preparation of the ship has included the following activities:

•Removal of all fuels, oils and greases (hydrocarbons); removal of other hazardous materials including heavy metals, batteries, asbestos, PCBs, and paints containing heavy metals and other marine-hazardous material.

•Removal of part of the main mast so that it is at a minimum depth of 6m below lowest astronomical tide and hence does not pose a navigation hazard.

•Making the ship safe as a dive site by removing all machinery, cabling, insulation, non-structural partitions, hatches/ doors, floatable material, access ladders and other items that could create a diver hazard, entanglement or risk, and all objects that could break loose during the scuttling process or over time and block access ways or compartments.

•Undertaking ship modifications to produce a safe and interesting dive site including cutting diver access holes into the sides of the hull; cutting holes in the floors and ceiling to allow extra vertical access between decks; cutting openings to allow light to penetrate; and sealing off areas where diver access should not be permitted for safety reasons.

•Cutting further holes for air to escape during scuttling and ballasting the ship so it sinks in an upright position.

Work that will now be completed includes:

•Making towing arrangements and towing the ship to waters of Avoca Beach.

•Placement of explosive charges to blow further holes in the ship below the waterline to flood the hull and sink the vessel.

•Whilst on site removing ladders and work equipment and making last minute preparations to scuttle the ship.

•Scuttling the ship.

•Post-scuttling inspection to confirm the safety and stability of the ship on the seabed and to retrieve debris.

•Installation of navigation buoys to mark the location of the ship

Hey Dangles

Well said

Mind you really didn't need saying.

Shame they aren't going to torpedo it like the one in West Aust a while back.

It would give Ray R one "blast" of a day.

He wouldn't need to fish that day just stand on his spot put his arms out and catch the fish as they rained down. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

His famed photo's could have been called "Raining fish" Part 2.

I'd love to go into the benifits of doing it with a tactical nuke but I will refrain at present.

Cheers Guys

Trapper Tom

Hey Dangles

Well said

Mind you really didn't need saying.

Shame they aren't going to torpedo it like the one in West Aust a while back.

It would give Ray R one "blast" of a day.

He wouldn't need to fish that day just stand on his spot put his arms out and catch the fish as they rained down. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

His famed photo's could have been called "Raining fish" Part 2.

I'd love to go into the benifits of doing it with a tactical nuke but I will refrain at present.

Cheers Guys

Trapper Tom

wouldve loved to have seen some fighter jet training on it. But im sure the explosion will still be good to watch. A mate that works for Maritime is working that day as rapid response on a jetski to patrol the exclusion zone. Front row seats for him

ill probably head up to take a gander :P pitty there is no fishing :(

From what i've heard,it is going to be a multi purpose istallation that will be able to be used by various sporting and educational groups,for a small donation to the coffers :074: .

Any way i hope the rumors are true,because im sure it has the potential to be a sensational fishery.

Cheers,

Hey Dangles.

Ya mates got a awesome job, did he have to pay them!!

Also I got a mate with a old (make withheld) fighter.

He's was thinking about a mock attack run over the same for a photo shoot.

He's wimped out in case theres the F16's around and they ask questions later.

He figured it would be too much pain for the benifit gained.

Would have been great to see though.

Trapper Tom

From what i've heard,it is going to be a multi purpose istallation that will be able to be used by various sporting and educational groups,for a small donation to the coffers :074: .

Any way i hope the rumors are true,because im sure it has the potential to be a sensational fishery.

Cheers,

Sorry Bruce but no fishing only diving for a small fee ofcourse to the powers that be, a couple of permanent moorings and 4 or so non permanents for the divers.

Wonder how they are gonna sink it, maybe I can cast some 4oz snapper leads at it... LOL

Sorry Bruce but no fishing only diving for a small fee ofcourse to the powers that be, a couple of permanent moorings and 4 or so non permanents for the divers.

Wonder how they are gonna sink it, maybe I can cast some 4oz snapper leads at it... LOL

you might need to have lend of one of my rods to get that far ray .

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Crunch

A Fishraider first here.

The first time Iv'e heard of a scuttling being scuttled.

Note if the case fails it will mean that the scuttling that was scuttled, will be scuttled itself.

If there's a succesful appeal then it will be the scuttling that was scuttled, which itself was scuttled was scuttled.

If there is an appeal to the High Court then it will be :tease::tease::tease:

I think I better get a life somehow. :1prop:

Still reackon the best solution is the tactical nuke

(No ones bitten on that line yet, see previous post).

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Must have been some nasties left somewhere on the boat, or not enough info about the impact of sand deviation and its affect on the beach, must have been something pretty important for them to do a rethink, better they get it right I guess as it would be hard to say WHOOPS! and then try and move 4000 tons of sunken warship...