Hmas Adelaide

Bruce the Postie

Bannana

Me thinks Ray is right.

The nasties will obviously be more than taken care of, that can always be identified and managed, but in such shallow water,

the affects on sand movements up and down the beaches can never be really known, irrelevant of any so called models.

Reckon this baby is now one "Dead Dog".

Happy Days for the Central Coast.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Must have been some nasties left somewhere on the boat, or not enough info about the impact of sand deviation and its affect on the beach, must have been something pretty important for them to do a rethink, better they get it right I guess as it would be hard to say WHOOPS! and then try and move 4000 tons of sunken warship...

hers a little bit more about the nasties .

Minister for Lands Tony Kelly appears to be dead-wrong about the presence of PCBs on the ex-HMAS Adelaide.

Minister Kelly may have misled the public at least twice last night (Tuesday March 23) when he stated on two Sydney televisions stations that all PCBs had been removed from the Adelaide.

Today the No Ship Action Group sent “explosive” information to the Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) showing the highly likely presence of PCBs in insulated cables in the ship.

Yesterday the Environmental Defender’s Office, acting for the No Ship Action Group, lodged an appeal with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal against Mr Garrett’s decision to issue a sea dumping permit.

NSAG’s explosive information comes from a photograph taken during a tour of the ship with Labor Member for The Entrance, Grant McBride, last week (Wednesday March 17).

In the week since the tour the images have been pored over and the attached image, when magnified, clearly shows cables labeled with their date of manufacture as 1977. Documentation provided to the Environmental Defenders Office states that cables of this era contained PCBs in a liquid format.

Dr Mariann Lloyd-Smith, CoChair of International POPs Elimination Network, commented on the attached picture.

“I believe this image of a viscous yellow substance weeping from the ends of protruding electrical cables is further evidence that the stripping and cleanup of this ship has not been fully carried out,” she said.

Mr Kelly’s department and the contractor adopted the Canadian standards for the ship’s clean-up.

“The Canadian guidelines state that: the “Open ends of electrical cables that show any evidence of fluid weeping (except for water) must be removed in their entirety,” Dr Lloyd-Smith said.

“This image clearly shows they have not been removed.

“PCBs are one of the most toxic substances known to man and every effort must be made to ensure they do not pollute our oceans, our fish and environments.”

Dr Lloyd-Smith was a member of the National Advisory Body which developed Australia’s PCB Management Plan, and is a Senior Advisor, National Toxics Network Inc. The International POPs Elimination Network worked globally on the implementation of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, which banned PCBs internationally in 2001.

NSAG have taken other images showing cable trapped in bulkheads ceilings and floors on the ship.

Ironically, one objective of the ship tour was to convince NSAG that PCBs had been completely removed from the vessel, a NSAG spokesman said.

“A fully independent review of this ship is needed immediately and certainly before it is scuttled,” Dr Lloyd-Smith said.

In these last desperate hours the No Ship Action Group joined forces with the Wilderness Society and took to Sydney Harbour in protest at 8.30pm last night (23.3.10). The group sent our Government a clear message: Our oceans are not a dump for Government waste.

The protest group were in a boat which stayed outside the ex-HMAS Adelaide’s 30 metre exclusion zone and used a high-powered projector to display messages on the side of the seven-storey warship docked near the Anzac Bridge at Glebe.

The projected messages drew interest from local bystanders and included: TOXIC TIME BOMB and A MINUTE TO SINK, A LIFETIME TO REGRET, Our Oceans are not a Dump and Avoca Takes No Ship from Anyone.

A high resolution photo of the wires suspected of containing PCBs is attached and low resolution photos of the projector ship action in Sydney Harbour are also attached. High resolution versions of these are available

Yep there are gonna dump her off Avoca actually not Terrigal as all the adverts are saying, gonna be busy around avoca on that day, might have to find a hidy hole around the rocks. She will go down only 1.7 k's off the beach....

Make sure you take your camera Ray so you can share some of your famous shots! I'd love to see it in real life but some RayR photos would be the next best thing! :thumbup:

Send it down our way, Between the oil refinery the sewage outfall,ICI chemisals & desalination plant

I think it would be the first fishing positive we have had in years.You want to see the effects on

sand movement check out the container port expansion there is a bit of sand being moved there at the

moment Ahh Botany bay the birth place of the modern nation.

Here Here crunch, sink the bloody ship, give access to everyone :1fishing1: not just divers. :1badmood: It's like these people that climb trees & hold up every thing else for their own personal demands. Cut the tree down & let the nuts fall out then charge them with public nuisance.

Regards Jeff

i just finished watching the "no adelaide group" video on you tube, it sounds like there worried about there "famous" surfing image competing with the new dive image.

theres no mention of a fishing image but im pretty sure the avoca rock fishing platform is one of the biggest and most crowded on the nsw coast. :04::1boat::hitsfan:

If you're after pollution at Avoca, I'd be more concerned about the sewage outfall around the corner from the infamous Avoca ledge.... Literally, Around the corner...

You know when you walk as far as you possibly can, past the cave, along the second (always empty) ledge, and it comes to a point that you can't get around... Well, it's around that point...

If you're after pollution at Avoca, I'd be more concerned about the sewage outfall around the corner from the infamous Avoca ledge.... Literally, Around the corner...

You know when you walk as far as you possibly can, past the cave, along the second (always empty) ledge, and it comes to a point that you can't get around... Well, it's around that point...

winnie bay

I think you should take a walk south from avoca and you will find the out fall pipe ,its not around some point you can't get around , when you walk south you can get all the way to the rat trap , its not the only out fall on the central coast

I think you should take a walk south from avoca and you will find the out fall pipe ,its not around some point you can't get around , when you walk south you can get all the way to the rat trap , its not the only out fall on the central coast

I'm well aware, but people that don't know the area wouldn't, so I didn't get too specific.