Shimano Baitrunner 6500 Handle

Hi everybody,

I've got a Shimano baitrunner and the handle has become quite stiff, it barely spins at all and is quite frustrating to use. I have brought it in to get serviced which loosened it up a little bit but after 5 outings it pretty much the same again. My question is, does anyone know how to fix it? Or can it be replaced with a new handle altogether?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gday nosliw,

I'm assuming you mean the whole handle and not just the handle knob. It's most likely to be the bearings. Have you ever dunked the reel? How do you clean it after fishing trips?

If it is the handle knob you're talking about then it's still likely to be a problem with corrosion that needs sorting out and yes, Shimano do supply parts for their reels.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually mean the handle knob, the handle spins fine its just the knob that doesnt spin freely. The reels never been dunked but for a while I didn't take good care of my reels but thanks to you and this new section I'm now putting in that extra care.

Is it easy to get the handle off or is it best just to get shimano to do the whole thing?

Thanks.

I've had the same problem with a couple of mine. Shimano can fix it because they've done it for me as part of a service before but it does get stiff again. I've tried pulling it apart several times but looks like the bit you wish you could get out is a rivet like thing that i wasn't brave enough to mess with. I think i rang shimano but i cant remember what they said now but i would have remembered then.

Before i start with what i did to fix it you should know that am no authority on reel maintainance and there are possibly things in here that are a massive no no but it worked and the reels now still work.

You can get the little black cap out of the end of the knob with a hook, (6/0 or 8/0 Octopus works). I've tried running it under very hot water, flossing it and all sorts of things trying to get the grime unstuck. I think what was the most effective (but not perfect) in the end was using the Shimano oil they give you (and i think i also used a teflon lube called tri flo at times but it will dry out over time) I just kept applying the lubricants to the inside of the knob and tried to get it in the back of the rivet looking thing too and just keep moving and twisting the knob until it starts to feel like it loosens up a bit and begins to feel a little more normal. You only have to do it about 8 million times and it should start to get a little better. I just used to do it while i was watching tv on the couch.

Now that i've thought about it Salt-away or some type of solvent might have worked too. Just make sure you relubricate it.

The first thing i would do is ring shimano.

Sorry i can't remember more. Good luck