Goin For Jewie In Brooklyn

baraa

hey guys,

fairly new on this forum, im enjoyin reading all the great reports and trips by some of the guys here.

Thinkin of heading to brooklyn this sat nite probably around 9pm and fish run up till change over around 2am...cant stay any longer than that.

Im gona try the little wharf just off the left side of the freeway (turning left on the 1st round about just as you come of the freeway exit from sydney).

Havent tried this spot yet, only been to kangaroo wharf around the corner and tried a few spots off brooklyn rd.

I normally fish the run out but due to the time i got no choice but to fish the run in.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Im taking snap frozen squid (good quality "from anitque shop") and i might try n get some livies (tailer/yakka) while im there.

what you guys reckon.?

probably not a great idea to fish there as we are on the other side of the full moon those first few hours you are there the current will be howling making the fishing very hard, the last hour or two is a different story.

good luck

.....fairly new on this forum, im enjoyin reading all the great reports and trips by some of the guys here.

.....Im gona try the little wharf just off the left side of the freeway (turning left on the 1st round about just as you come of the freeway exit from sydney).

I normally fish the run out but due to the time i got no choice but to fish the run in.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Im taking snap frozen squid (good quality "from anitque shop") and i might try n get some livies (tailer/yakka) while im there.

what you guys reckon.?

Hi barrawii

Welcome to Fishraider :1welcomeani:

You're certainly on the right track with the bait situation for starters. Local arrow squid are the number one bait for Hawkesbury jewfish. Even if you catch big jewfish that prefer a certain species of baitfish at the time, arrow squid would have a higher average hook up rate overall... Whole arrow squid or long or short strip baits will attract just about any species of bi catch that you can think of including freshwater mullet, bass and estuary perch as will saltwater nippers in freshwater for that matter.

Even though arrow squid are hardier and a lot tougher than green eye calamari squid, the general run of squid in Pittwater, more often than not in good numbers in arrow squid territory at Patonga, the problem is that eels, catfish and pickers will pull arrow squid baits apart just as easily as they'll pull green eye squid apart.

Now back to Mooney Mooney and the fishable area along the grass at the western side of the road brige where I take it you are planning on fishing from the beginning of the run in tide on Saturday evening- This particular area is not a jewfish area by any means, it's middling grounds of even depth all the way out to the second pylon and beyond if you take a direct line from the boat ramp towards the second pylon, the depth is steady into the sides of the pylons. Whilst the area around the boat ramp is a haven for small fish during the day time the area can work well in general for bread and butter fish around sundown, however the area is a natural haven for heavy concentrations of catfish that are usually very active in that area at night.

If I was fishing landbased from the start of the run in tide on Saturday evening, the logical place for me to be would be just on the Brooklyn side of the rail bridge. I had met a chap who lives down there who used to open the gate for his visitors etc but these days I think you might have to park in the car park at the bottom of Brooklyn road and walk down the track that follows the railway line to the side of the rail bridge.

When you get down there at low tide you will clearly see some square rocks at the waterline about twenty five metres away from the worker's platform on the first pylon that overhangs the water. Those square rocks are the remnants of the foundations of an old rock platform that was once used as a jetty. If you set up at either side of that platform and fish beach rods and heavy sinkers to suit the current, use big baits as you will need to bring a fish in occasionally otherwise you may need to use a lot of ready made up rigs because of the nature of the bottom. Apart from that, this particular spot and along the new rock wall back as far as the red marker at the end of the cottages would have to be one of the best run in tide spots in the area.

I hope this helps as the Mooney Mooney side just west of the road bridge used to be known as the devil's playground at night and it was always good to see four or five boats anchored out from the north side pylons and none anchored back from the centre pylon and the pylon next to it on the Sydney side.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi barrawii

Welcome to Fishraider :1welcomeani:

You're certainly on the right track with the bait situation for starters. Local arrow squid are the number one bait for Hawkesbury jewfish. Even if you catch big jewfish that prefer a certain species of baitfish at the time, arrow squid would have a higher average hook up rate overall... Whole arrow squid or long or short strip baits will attract just about any species of bi catch that you can think of including freshwater mullet, bass and estuary perch as will saltwater nippers in freshwater for that matter.

Even though arrow squid are hardier and a lot tougher than green eye calamari squid, the general run of squid in Pittwater, more often than not in good numbers in arrow squid territory at Patonga, the problem is that eels, catfish and pickers will pull arrow squid baits apart just as easily as they'll pull green eye squid apart.

Now back to Mooney Mooney and the fishable area along the grass at the western side of the road brige where I take it you are planning on fishing from the beginning of the run in tide on Saturday evening- This particular area is not a jewfish area by any means, it's middling grounds of even depth all the way out to the second pylon and beyond if you take a direct line from the boat ramp towards the second pylon, the depth is steady into the sides of the pylons. Whilst the area around the boat ramp is a haven for small fish during the day time the area can work well in general for bread and butter fish around sundown, however the area is a natural haven for heavy concentrations of catfish that are usually very active in that area at night.

If I was fishing landbased from the start of the run in tide on Saturday evening, the logical place for me to be would be just on the Brooklyn side of the rail bridge. I had met a chap who lives down there who used to open the gate for his visitors etc but these days I think you might have to park in the car park at the bottom of Brooklyn road and walk down the track that follows the railway line to the side of the rail bridge.

When you get down there at low tide you will clearly see some square rocks at the waterline about twenty five metres away from the worker's platform on the first pylon that overhangs the water. Those square rocks are the remnants of the foundations of an old rock platform that was once used as a jetty. If you set up at either side of that platform and fish beach rods and heavy sinkers to suit the current, use big baits as you will need to bring a fish in occasionally otherwise you may need to use a lot of ready made up rigs because of the nature of the bottom. Apart from that, this particular spot and along the new rock wall back as far as the red marker at the end of the cottages would have to be one of the best run in tide spots in the area.

I hope this helps as the Mooney Mooney side just west of the road bridge used to be known as the devil's playground at night and it was always good to see four or five boats anchored out from the north side pylons and none anchored back from the centre pylon and the pylon next to it on the Sydney side.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

THanks to all for the tips,

Special thanks to jewgaffer. that is some great info you posted.

Im gona take your advise and avoid that jeti. Ive fished on the other side of the bridge, at kangaroo wharf before, its ok but too many sopies, biggest jewie i landed was just under 60cm...Im hoping to land the 7-10kg.

About the railway bridge, i know exactly where your talkin about..been there 2-3times so far. Using squid, beach rods, and heavy sinkers. ive heard to best to try and cast next to the first pylon where the current splits that way your bait will sit calmly. Ive fished off the square rocks you mentioned and the workers platform, never tried the other side of the railway bridge. Only thing that turned me off about that area was that i kept catching big eels one after another which got annoying after a while. However both times i went fishing there was the run out.

Would you say that the run in would make the difference as to constantly hooking up big eels and catfish???

Anyway Im on my own tonite and having second thoughts about driving all the way to brooklyn. I think i'll leave that for another trip...

Im gona head down to chiswick (local) instead and see how i go.

thanks again mate and have a good weekend.

Howd you go mate?

Hey guys...well..i went up to my spot at chiswick around 11pm which was packed out - both rock areas including the wharf.

I thought theres no way there'll be place to fish at this time at any local wharf.

So i ended up driving to brooklyn...i shoulda went to the railway bridge spot but it was already getting late, i was on my own and wasnt sure if the gates wouldve been closed of...wasnt too keen on walking the track and the last time fished there i caught so many eels and catfish that it left a scar on me.

So i ended fishing at kangaroo wharf, just off the brooklyn bridge.

I had a 1Litre milk bottle filled with squid ink for burley...first time im trying this...punched a few holes on the bottle and set it out for burley.

I set squid strip on 1 rod and live tailor on the other rod.

It wasnt till about 2.30 when i gota a small run on the squid rod...at that instant i was taking the hook off a livie tailer i had just caught..just as i took the hook off, the rod went off...by the time i got to the rod, the fish was long gone...I probably shoulda waited for another run, but being impatient as i am i reeled it in and had nothing, squid was untouched which says that it was most likely a jewie...i was pretty disappointed at myself but im suspecting that it was only a soapie, just from the way it ran.

Then at about 3.30 got another run, hooked it up, reeled it in...a sting ray...this finally gave me the courage to pack up and leave.

Left about 4am empty handed.

Wasnt expecting a big catch from the beginning of the night anyway.

I really need some new spots...

Perhaps il take jewgaffer's advise and give railway bridge another chance on the run up.

Sorry to bore everyone with a dry report.

Better luck next time.

Oh well mate get out there and try again is all you can do :)

i would rather have that run than nothing. ive spend about 4 night fishes going for and havent even had a run yet .. one night was an all nighter too

but im gonna have another try without a dout :) goodluck on your next trip mate