Best Bait For Crab Pots

dinga75

I don't know if the lake is any different - but mullet pieces outfish everything else. I grab whole sea mullet from the local fish shop - it's cheap. Cut it into thirds and bait the traps. Other fish pieces/frames/cat food/burley chunks don't do as well.

for me both for swimmer and muddies i would say flathead frams followed by blackfish frames

most fish frames work but once again match the hatch to the catch so use fish that are found in the system your working in as the crabs will idenitfiy it easy and relate it to their normal diets

When your short of bait and the blue swimmers are running you would even get plenty of crabs in a trap if you rammed a left over drum stick into the pelvis of a minature chiropractor's skeleton.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

When your short of bait and the blue swimmers are running you would even get plenty of crabs in a trap if you rammed a left over drum stick into the pelvis of a minature chiropractor's skeleton.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

:lol: - how'd you come up with this one?

A mate of mine was a professional sand crab trapper in QLD and has tried everything imaginable.

Mullet with the gut in is the best bait. He reckons he bought a heap of gutted mullet and was only half as good.

Cut the mullet in half, leaving half the gut in each end of the fish.

Mate, i have been crabbing all my life and the best bait for swimmers is any oily fish as it attracts crabs for miles as an added bonus i fill the foot part of an old stocking (dont use your misses good ones as she will hit the roof) with tuna oil soaked saw shavings (not dust) and tie it with the bait.

You can re use the shaving by drying them and soaking again do this the night before for the best results

If you cant get any shaving use shaving for a smoker box

good luck