Looking For Light/thin & Strong Beach/rock Rod, Recommendations?

cmhcfish

Hi guys, long time reader, joined recently. I've done a bit of searching, just looking for some additional advice.

I've seen a lot of beach / rock rods in Australia that are traditionally quite thick in diameter (almost like a broomstick at the base). They are a little heavy though!

However lately looking at the overseas markets many of their surfcasters are using rods which look very thin, strong, light and quite comfortable to hold. The nearest thing I can find here in Australia is the Shimano Tiralejo/ Daiwa Saltiga series of rods - but they are a little out of my budget! (wanting to spend around $200)

Anyone have any other recommendations? I've looked at the Daiwa Emcast Telescopic/Seajigger Rods, they are under consideration but I want to explore further options too. I've looked at the Nitro too but would be stretching the budget...

I normally just chuck baits out (pillies/squid or sometimes livies) but looking to do a lot more lure fishing (high speed spinning metal lures).

Thanks in advance!

spend the extra $100 the nitro is well worth it :D i have a Magnum butt 7.6ft i use it off the rocks at avoca, and use it to flick plastics and fishn for kings wether it be shore based or on my boat i'd have to say its a great all rounder :D and with a lifetime warranty cant really go wrong :P i mean you can snap your rod in a car door and still claim it :D

The nitro's also have a 10ft 12ft and 13/14ft but yeah GREAT rods im actually starting to thing about getting another :D

and its basically $130 more than your budget but you will be happy you got one :D

A nitro surf rod you'll be doing well to get for $350 (that's the messiah, not sure about the surf assassin but I think they're about the same), more likely the $400 mark. That said, you'd be happy with the messiah I think. It's light, can handle 15kg line (which is huge for a 13 ft rod) and casts a wide range of weights (1-4 oz) which is handy if you're spinning. Personally I think they're better than the shimano and daiwa purely because they can cast a better range of weights, not just 2oz and above.

Value for money, there's no comparison in my opinion and the warranty is good too.

the 10ft penn spinfisher big game surf rod is a good beach/rock rod.iv used one alot of times matched to a daiwa emblem pro 6500[big surf casting reel] & it fit the bill nicely.its not overly heavy.the rod itself is graphite/compisite & rated to 10-15kgs.i cast heavier metals on it for hrs on end without fatigue.it also casts unweighted pillies for pelagics well along with un or lightly weighted cunjee baits for drummer & groper.priced at under $150 its great value for money & you get a tough workhorse of a rod that will withstand the rock/beach environment.i know a few lbg fishos that use that exact outfit to land longtail tuna.gt's & a host of other big beasties of the rocks.good surf jew rod too.im pretty sure theres a 11ft model too,in either spin or overhead.check em out.

hope this helps.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Edited by fisher doi

for baitfishing off the beach i use the daiwa heartland 12ft Heavy....very very light stik and thin diametre but plenty off grunt down low and should be around your budget...for spinning i use the seajigger 10ft as it casts very well.

hope this helps

cheers

tom

Thanks guys, I will take a look in a tackleshop to see if I can have a feel of the Nitro in my hands.

Have been recommended another rod called the "Xzoga Mastery" the 10 foot version. Looks interesting, light, strong, fast action, only problem would be finding it, might have to source from international, but I have read from the fishing WA website from lots of guys giving this brand a thumbs up. Decisions decisions....

http://www.xzoga.com/taka-mas.php

Here are the specs!

Model Length Type Sec. PE NO Line Wt. Lure Wt. Ptf Action BestDrag Rod Wt. Balancer Graphite

MA-S100H2 10' 0" S 2 PE 3.0 15-40 LB Max 150g FAST 12-14 LB 280g - 99%

If you can get yours hands on a Silstar Power Tip surf rod 12ft they are the best i find. They are light, long and can handle decent size fish with ease.

Im not sure if they still make Silstar Power Tip Rods does any1 know if they do??????

If you can get yours hands on a Silstar Power Tip surf rod 12ft they are the best i find. They are light, long and can handle decent size fish with ease.

Im not sure if they still make Silstar Power Tip Rods does any1 know if they do??????

They make silstar crystal blue but havent heard of powertip

I have picked up the Crystal Blue Powertips, good weight but I still am not a fan of the broomstick style bottom, might pick one up for jigging or boatwork though!

Crunch, regarding those 9 footers, I had a look at the maple website, never heard of them, but can't see a 9 foot rod there, maybe it's discontinued? We don't really seem to have those rods between 8 or 9 foot down here in Australia, cos I've heard of brands like Berkley having nice 9 foot rods being used in America for tossing lures...

That 9 foot Wilson, doesn't that have a roller tip? Would it fit a big spinning reel?

They make silstar crystal blue but havent heard of powertip

Hi hazza

The Silstar Crystal blue rods are the current rods that silstar produce the red and black Power tip silstar rods are no longer made i found out.

Thanks mate

• 2 months later...

Hey cmhcfish, did you end up getting a rod? What did you end up with?

I am thinking about the Nitro 12' Surf Assassin. Had a feel of one today and it felt great. Looking for some objective opinions on why I should get one or why I should rule it out and look at something else.

I intend to use it probably 80/20 sand/stones chasing all the regulars like bream, lizard, dart, tailor, salmon and fingers crossed for a jew here and there. Would be using bait and lures.

Currently I am using an Ugly Stik Platinum 12' 8-12kg with a baitrunner 4500B. While it is a nice outfit I find it damn heavy before too long and wanting to chuck it in my sand spike so my back can have a rest.

-Steveo

Wilson 4120!! nice rig ! 5120 good too but alittle heavy, ultimate jew rig yet great all rounder,they lock up high and are a great price,or can get a 4120 blank(pacific comp) and get custom made for under $200 with just real seat and guides,real light (work horse lol),, phill

Edited by jew chaser

Ended up with the Penn Big Game Surf, light, strong, composite, casts a mile and got it for just under $100. Matched it with a Stradic 8000 and it's great for tossing baits a long way, and is a great spinning rod too.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice combo there. For around $250 you can buy a Pioneer Dogtooth. Its really thin and light and the rating is around 30kg from what i remember. Correct me if I'm wrong. The rod has graphite composite, its thin, very very light and strong as.

Ended up with the Penn Big Game Surf, light, strong, composite, casts a mile and got it for just under $100. Matched it with a Stradic 8000 and it's great for tossing baits a long way, and is a great spinning rod too.

Got one of those a nice choice they are a good stick imo

Cheers Blood Knot

hey mate,

i was at BCF and they had a couple of the silstar power tips...

Hi guys, long time reader, joined recently. I've done a bit of searching, just looking for some additional advice.

I've seen a lot of beach / rock rods in Australia that are traditionally quite thick in diameter (almost like a broomstick at the base). They are a little heavy though!

However lately looking at the overseas markets many of their surfcasters are using rods which look very thin, strong, light and quite comfortable to hold. The nearest thing I can find here in Australia is the Shimano Tiralejo/ Daiwa Saltiga series of rods - but they are a little out of my budget! (wanting to spend around $200)

Anyone have any other recommendations? I've looked at the Daiwa Emcast Telescopic/Seajigger Rods, they are under consideration but I want to explore further options too. I've looked at the Nitro too but would be stretching the budget...

I normally just chuck baits out (pillies/squid or sometimes livies) but looking to do a lot more lure fishing (high speed spinning metal lures).

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mate

Your biggest challenge is your budget. For the kind of rod you are looking for $200 is not enough.

I have 2 nitro’s 12" and the 10" sniper, great rods that pack away to nothing.

Also worth a look and in my opinion a better all round beach/rock/spin rod is the daiwa sensor surf rod. Available in many sizes and classes. I have the 12" Heavy but the medium would be better for spinning

Bindings and guides are of better quality compared to the nitro.

http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=rods&rods=surfrock&product=sensorsurf

Hope this helps.