Best Spinning Reel?

damobows

Hi people,

The b'day is coming up and I am in the enviable position of being able to get a spinning reel of my choice - I mainly need it for small inshore kings,sambos,tailor etc (and maybe for some estuary work) spooled with 10-15 lb braid.

I'll be flicking plastics and some live baiting was wondering what you guys thought? Looking at the new certate and stella (Does anyone know when they come out?) would love to get some suggestions on size and model and brand?

Has anyone got a Morethan Branzino?

Thank heaps

Damo

Edited by damobows

My cousin has a Certate Hyper Custom 3500 I believe.

Handles the inshore Sydney fish, small and extremely powerful, if I had the $ to spend I'd be getting one ASAP as it seems a real workhorse of a reel in a tight little package.

Though the new 2010 Stella/Certates are around the corner too....

new certate!

2500 if you're using an 8 strand braid

3000 for 4 strand braid

then you can tell us how it is! =P

it sure looks amazing

you can get it online from japan already

same with the new stella

new certate is about half the price though

I have a 3500 Certate, 4000 Stella and 3000 Branzino. They are all much the same.

When you have that good King, Salmon or Bonnie on and ripping drag, you don't really notice which reel you have!!

Go with the one you like the look of. :biggrin2:

Edited by Cephalopod

I have a 3500 Certate, 4000 Stella and 3000 Branzino. They are all much the same.

When you have that good King, Salmon or Bonnie on and ripping drag, you don't really notice which reel you have!!

Go with the one you like the look of. :biggrin2:

Totally agree, really depends on what colour the rod is when you get to this level of tackle.....

Most of my older rods from a custom rod builder were all black gold so Branzino's looked the part.

Of late the rod choice has been Fisherman rods and most that know these rods know they are usually rolled in some pretty out there colours and looks. So I now have Stella's Expleditions, Mavericks, Extreams to standard Saltigas just so they match the colour of the popping rod they are mounted on :biggrin2:

Totally agree, really depends on what colour the rod is when you get to this level of tackle.....

Most of my older rods from a custom rod builder were all black gold so Branzino's looked the part.

Of late the rod choice has been Fisherman rods and most that know these rods know they are usually rolled in some pretty out there colours and looks. So I now have Stella's Expleditions, Mavericks, Extreams to standard Saltigas just so they match the colour of the popping rod they are mounted on :biggrin2:

Ah.. a man after my own heart!! It is all about the aesthetics for me too!!

A red Certate "Custom Body" looks pretty stupid on a Millerod! :biggrin2:

I use a stella 3000 most of the time or certate 2500 rcustom and find that usually enough stop most of the fish i hook in the harbour or the bay.. If I'm going after something bigger i use my 4000 hyper custom certate, so pretty lol I feel you dont need anything bigger than this when your in and around sydney, anything more and i feel it over kill...

V Systems are really good reels and Okuma's service from experience is excellent, but they're not in the same league as Stellas, Certates and Branzinos. The Okumas are excellent reels for the money (I've had 2 spin reels and still have the baitcaster) but the engineering is not up to the same standard as the top-shelf Daiwa and Shimano reels. I'd put them in the same set for consideration with reels like Catalinas, Saragosas and Saltists.

If you can go top shelf, Ceph and GregL probably have the most hands-on experience with the different options.

Cheers, Slinky