Changing Trebles On Lures

A few Raiders have been asking about how, why and when to change trebles on lures so I hope this is of interest.

The reasons you might consider changing the trebles on a lure include:

- to replace a damaged, broken, blunt or corroded hook

- to change the trebles to ones more suitable for your fishing... sometimes you might want stronger hooks, finer hooks or just hooks that are better quality

- to adjust the action and buoyancy of a lure... a floating lure can sometimes be made into a suspending or even sinking lure with heavier hooks or vice versa. And hook size and weight can change the way a lure swims.

When to change hooks is easy... Whenever you don't think the hooks on a lure are the right ones for the job you want it to do. Blunt hooks are never ok so if you can't sharpen them, change them.

The how is pretty easy too. Here's a quick step-by-step. Be really careful doing this Raiders... hooks can end up in flesh very easily if you don't use caution throughout this task... so if you're not confident, don't attempt it.

This is a Halco Scorpion that's going into my Mangrove Jack fishing box.

post-6175-126830987735_thumb.jpg

While the fine wire Mustad Triple Grip trebles it came with are good hooks for flatties and so on, they'll straighten if a decent Jack so much as breathes on them. Time to swap.

post-6175-126830992504_thumb.jpg

You'll need a couple of things to swap trebles. First, get yourself a pair of split ring pliers (they sometimes come in different sizes to suit light, medium or heavy duty rings). These pliers have a nifty 'beak' that makes opening rings a doddle and saves broken nails or worse.

post-6175-12683099365_thumb.jpg

post-6175-126830993821_thumb.jpg

You'll need some new trebles of course. They come in different sizes and also in different 'strengths'... 2X hooks are heavier wire than standard, 3X are heavier than 2X, etc.

post-6175-126830994391_thumb.jpg

You might also need to change split rings if the ones on your lure aren't up to the job. These are also available in a range of sizes and light or heavier wire.

post-6175-126830994111_thumb.jpg

For my Scorpion, I chose to use VMC 3x strong chemically sharpened trebles (the hook on the right in shot is a 6X for comparison... you can see the heavier wire). First thing to do is pick the right size. If you use hooks that are too small, you might reduce the effectiveness of the lure by reducing the 'hook coverage' (fish are more likely to miss the hooks). If they're too big, the 2 or more hooks might be able to cross over and tangle during a cast... In this case the #4 trebles in the middle were the right choice

post-6175-126830994681_thumb.jpg

Use your split ring pliers to open the rings on the lure. And while the ring is open, slip the eye of the hook into the gap... it may take a little working.

post-6175-126830995741_thumb.jpg

Now, with your pliers or by hand, work the hook around the split ring until it comes off... just like untangling paper-clips. Now your lure is ready for new hooks.

post-6175-126830995939_thumb.jpg

post-6175-126830996222_thumb.jpg

Lets start with the belly hook. It's important to check the orientation of the hook eye relative to the points. On most trebles, the eye is offset so that you can sit it on a ring so that the lure nestles in between 2 points. Do it the wrong way and a point will be bouncing off the lure like would be the case if I fitted it like this.

post-6175-126830996452_thumb.jpg

Rotate the hook until you can see that when attached to the eye it will sit like this.

post-6175-126830996703_thumb.jpg

Now, remembering the orientation of the hook, use your pliers to open the ring and slip the hook on, working it around as before but in the other direction.

post-6175-126830996951_thumb.jpg

I don't really worry about the orientation of tail hooks but once both hooks are on this lure it's almost finished.

post-6175-126830997249_thumb.jpg

Just a last quick check to make sure the hooks can't cross over and tangle.

post-6175-126830997532_thumb.jpg

And this lure's ready to take Jack fishing. I think the new hooks will last longer than the paintwork!!

Cheers, Slinky

I had not considered the orientation of the trebles I've connected or replaced.

Split ring pliers are essential - they make this job easy. Without them you will get a barb in the thumb for sure.

Thanks again Slinky

Edited by myocard

Hi Tony

I found a pair of tiny split ring Tweezers the other day similar to these

post-2231-126869560481_thumb.png

Mine are even better & have a hole in the handle, so they live on a lanyard round my neck so that if i need to change a hook on the water, I have them there, ready to use! You can only take so many pliers with you on a yak!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Tony

Mine are even better & have a hole in the handle, so they live on a lanyard round my neck so that if i need to change a hook on the water, I have them there, ready to use! You can only take so many pliers with you on a yak!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Great idea for bream lure rings... great find, Roberta. I'll be keeping a lookout for a pair of those!!

Cheers, Slinky

Great thread Slinky.

There are so many lures out there that need the trebles & split rings changed.

Most people don't bother until they lose a good fish.

Whether it be a need to upgrade for bigger fish or change because of rust & age they should be looked after. We pay alot of money for our lures & even the old classics can be given a new lease of life with these simple changes.

Well done on showing everyone how.

Cheers,

Grant.

Just got myself some split ring pliers, owner split rings and trebles for my smaller lures. The pliers are not the ideal size for bream size split rings but works good enough.

Really good tip on the orientation of the trebles, would've never thought about that!

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta they are very handy indeed were they the Smith Pincers? I have a set especially

for opening #00 or #0 Decoy split rings difficult task without them i'll tell you.

Cheers Rizzo :thumbup:

If you have a wife, friend, daughter who is into beading. They have a great range of split ring pliers.

I think better suited to the small 00 size rings.

These are readily available at craft shops and in my opinion are better quality and better value for money.

Downside is generally designed for small hands.

Also when i change trebles. Once I split the ring and just start passing the eye of the hook through the ring so I can remove it. I also follow directly behind it with the new treble. This way i am removing and adding the new treble at the same time. Beats repeating the process

cheers

b

You beat me to it, Bastik!!

The Beading tweezers are quite cheap (you can find them for about $5, from memory) but I am not sure if they are Stainless or not.

Hi Rizzo - I think mine were Shimano, so came at a price - about $15, which i thought was extortionate! However, they DO have the hole in them & I haven't lost them yet. :biggrin2: You could put them on one of those 'pully thingos' that clip onto your vest, so that you only pull it out when you need to (Hmmm, should I re-word that??)

The original pair of split ring pliers that I bought are WAY TOO BIG for any of my small lures. Only good for BIG lures!!! Haven't used them yet! :wacko:

Cheers

Roberta

You could put them on one of those 'pully thingos' that clip onto your vest, so that you only pull it out when you need to (Hmmm, should I re-word that??)

Cheers

Roberta

Called a "Pin-on-reel".

Greg