Bridle Rigging

hi fishing wise i tend to spin or use poppers however i occasionaly live bait.

im interested in trying circle hooks when I live bait and have read that with these you need to bridle rig them.

I have never bridle rigged anything so any info diagrams etc would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I only really do this with big baits because i normally just fish a J hook sideways through the nostrils for kings. But i'll give you a quick run down on what i do.

First you'll need a bait needle from a good tackle shop. It looks like a big needle but the eye opens or is an almost closed loop. You'll also need no. 16 rubber bands or dacron. I use dacron tied in a loop from 3 to 4 inches long depending on how big the bait is or how much gap you want between the hook and his nose. I have only about an inch for yakkas unless they are massive. Other guys may have up to a couple of inches for large slimies for marlin.

1. Thread the rubber band or dacron onto the eye of the bait needle

2. carefully remove the livie from the well with a little net or your hand and place him on a wet towel.(i recommend towel on the floor if you are learning and dont have many livies to lose over the side when they kick out of your hand).

3. Insert the needle pointy end first through the eye socket above the eye WITHOUT PIERCING THE EYE. (some guys go through the nostrils but i think they go better through the eye socket). Pull the needle all the way through but leave the band or dacron with an end hanging out each side of the fish.

4. Remove the needle from the band or dacron and leave the band or dacron with each end hanging out the sides of the bait.

5. Now you can either do a couple of hitches over the pointy end of the hook (past the barb) with each end of the loop, thinking about which way you go so as not to cause twisting problems and slide the band or dacron down to the gape of the hook and check it looks straight. Now the livie will be hanging by the bridle from the hook ready to go swimming.

OR

5a. Push one end of the loop through the other end of the loop to form a kind of loop knot and straighten it on his head. Now make another loop not prepared at the other end to slide over the point of the hook. put that over the hook and snug it down onto the gape.this method holds the bridle firmer to both the bait and to the hook with less twisting wraps as mentioned in point 5 above.

Im sure one of the game fishing guys will have better ideas and more experience but thats what i do.

i use bands through the eye sockets...

pass band through with bait needle,

hold 2 loops in fingers while yakka swings freely.

pass hook through both loops of band turn hook 180 deg.

pass hook back through gap between hook and yakka..

once you have done this a couple of times it is real easy and quick..

pm sent with more details...

hope this helps.....cheers....steve.......

Edited by roosterman

Just a slight clarification inregards to bridling your bait useing a band with a circle hook

Firstly attach your band to the gape of your hook and pull the loop of the band onto the eye of a short open bait needle you will find it can and will dangle comfortably in place without easily falling off

the eye of the needle

Then as it has allready been mentioned push your bait needle right through and out the other side of the leading edge of the eye socket and then here lies the subtle difference with the band still attached to the needle

stretch the band and drop it over the point of the hook using the needle then quickly discard the needle twist the band 2 or 3 times via the circle (depending on size of bait) then lock the band in place as you would normaly

no need to adjust or locate the hook, band, in any sort of set place as everything finds it's own happy balance in readiness to do it's job.

Cheers Warnie

• 2 weeks later...

Another technique that was shown to me by a fellow raider when we were downrigging for kings is to use a small cable tie. Pass it through the front of the eye sockets and simply pull it up tight below the barb on the hook so that the bend of the hook is sitting on the nose of the livey right between the eyes. I can't see why it wouldn't work off the stones too.

Cheers

Kel