harry.dz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There really is nothing to compare!

What build of Aussie boat gives you a life time warranty on your decks and hulls??(every quinny that i have looked at has had warped decks)

I have a very close relationship to the people who bring these boats in maybe it is best for me not to comment but i will ask that everyone that i have taken for a ride to give comment to this topic i will wait for it to get juicy then answer all questions ..

The only problem with this topic is that we are going to get answers from people that have never been for a ride in an american Bass style boat be it Glass or aluminium i could probably count on both hands the number of people that have been for a ride.

Harry if you have questions regarding the range of Triton boats please feal free to call me i will give all the info i can..

My contact numbers are 0401432466 or 47 210455

If you would like a ride come to the nepean river at penrith tomorrow Sunday 17th April for a free test ride and see first hand just how good the boats really are

Cheers Mick :1fishing1:

Mick,

Thanks for your comments and invitation.

So you reckon Aussie boats cannot compare !!!

As a salesperson your opinion obviously sounds biased however you have

invited others to comment, which is fair enough.

You mention "life time warranty" on decks and hulls?

So therefore, I buy the boat 3yrs later I sell the boat. The person who purchased the boat will they still be covered under life time warranty (to the deck and hull) ????

Or for instance the sexy glitter gel coat fades on the hull over time will this be covered under warranty, who fixes these problems ????

In addition, I am keen to find out if these US boats have been trialled, tested or been proven in the Aussie climate ?

Fifteen, twenty years ago there was a severe problem of badly manufactured American boats which could not uphold to our Aussie standards.

How do US boats which have been predominantly designed for inclosed waters perform over time in our ever changing harbours & bays.

:badair:

Hazza

Can't comment on US Bass boats (never been in one), but their presence on these shores has got to be a good thing. As the owner of a Hornet, there a plenty of little things that could be done so much better. For example: recessed hinges on the casting decks, casting decks that don't warp, better quality carpet, better quality seats as standard, better quality consoles as standard, in-floor ice boxes, good quality on-board chargers as a standard option, properly located intakes for livewells to prevent them sucking air, timed livewells as a standard option etc etc.

Strewth

Guest bassifier

Swoffa, Nitro are already here.

I'm waiting on the Allisons :1clap:

Actually no, I'm waiting on a top class Aussie manufacturer :1clap::1clap:

Allisons are very nice.

I am sat in Chicago at the moment reading a basspro marine catalogue. 1 thing i have noticed, more being packaging with Galvanised trailers. There are certainly some sweet rides!

G'day Harry

I have been lucky enough to spend a fair bit of time on the water in a few of the triton's and I have to say that nothing compares at the moment in australia. Can't comment on other american bass boats as I haven't been in them. I own a hornet and have had the opportunity to ride in some of the best boats NSW/QLD manufacturers have to offer and they didn't even come close to quality of finish, design and ride. Mick has done close to 100 hours in Australian conditions including entering the ABT events and recreational fishing with myself and although he is a salesman he wouldn't make the claims if he didn't have experience to do so. ABA actually sell both american and australian so his opinion is honest. We have fished aussie dams (which can actually be very rough) and aussie waterways such as sydney harbour and hawkesbury which usually involves some very bumpy water (especially around harbour bridge and broken bay/west head) and it handled the conditions much better than my hornet and mates full plate cairns custom craft high side bream boat. This doesn't mean a bream/bass boat is suitable for outside use though. Easy way to form your own opinion is to go for a ride, we can debate all the points we like about america vs australia but when u go for a ride the only debate is how I can get the $$ together to buy one (If bream/bass boats are your thing). I haven't seen the Allison but would like to, I had an Allison cuddy cabin and it was an absolutely sensational boat :thumbup: It is a fact that many of the american boats are being brought in and quickly sold, and are much higher quality than aussie, just means the locals need to pick up the pace a bit. Would love to hear from quinnie how hornet sales are going, i can bet they are way down then two years ago when I purchased mine.

I have never been for a run in any of the Yank bass boats but there are some top notch Aussie boat builders out there.

I saw Mick's Triton for the first time at the Hawkesbury ABT and it looks awesome on the water. Not sure if I would be game enough to take it in the racks though

As Swoffa mentioned Ross' Elegant is also a sweet looking ride (I own one as well but a different model). I also had a look at Attack Boats and TABS when I was looking and they are all great gear.

I think it comes down to who has got or can build the best package to suit your needs.

G'day Harry

It is a fact that many of the american boats are being brought in and quickly sold, and are much higher quality than aussie, just means the locals need to pick up the pace a bit.  Would love to hear from quinnie how hornet sales are going, i can bet they are way down then two years ago when I purchased mine.

42901[/snapback]

Rick i was going to write a big long spool but i wont.

But im sure the aussie boat companies will soon be bringing out boats simular to or if not better than the american boats.

Rick i was going to write a big long spool but i wont.

But im sure the aussie boat companies will soon be bringing out boats simular to or if not better than the american boats.

42912[/snapback]

Please don't hold back on my account, especially if u have had experience with both to make a comparison as harry has asked about. Everyone has different opinions which is why everyone has different boats. As long as a person doesnt join the conversation to bag aussie or american boats without experience with them I am all for an open discussion. I have experience in driving and travelling in both including boats from quinnie, stacer, cairns custom craft, elegant and attack and my opinion only is that the aussie market has alot of refinements to make with hull design and decking/seating to match the triton boats I have been in. I am not trying to force my opinion, ABA have had a free water test day for anyone who is genuinly interested and wanted a true comparison to form their own opinions.

Good points made by all. :thumbup:

I strongly believe that there will be a Aussie manufacturer who will bring out

the ideal bream boat that will compare to the American bass boats.

Maybe not in fibreglass but alloy might be the way to go.

Quote me if I am mistaken, but, is'nt the Allison cuddy cabin an Australian built boat manufactured in QLD ? Using Aust.products.?

As mentioned these days boats are heading towards how glittery and fast they could go instead of practicality.

I agree we need fast boats for comp's and flashing interiors for our ego's, but what is the use if people are hesitant to fish them hard in hostile waters in case you scratch them.

Do you want to go fishing OR do you want to power boat race ?

:badair:

Hazza

Ha ha ok good points made by all buts lets compare features to features.

One more thing lets remember that these so called yanky bass boats(TRITON BOATS) have been judged by there peers in the aussie market winning a nomination for the best imported boat of the year .

With the final judging yet to come, now this is carried out by a panel of experienced judges

So really what would you like to compare??? A TRITON TR 165 90 MERC EPTLO FOR $ 29,990.00 OR A QUINTREX HORNET FOR THE SAME MONEY...

Harry as far as warranty issues go with our boats any thing that can be fixed here is done so by certified Triton trained mechanics. Mercury will honour the warranty that comes with the motors.

And if you boat would require shipping back to the states we will gladley give you ours until yours is returned.

If your tinnie here has a fault you will have to put it on a truck and send it back as many have they wont give you a loan boat...

If you would like to compare features list what you get for your dollars and then i will give you a list of what a Triton comes with...

And for the under $10 k market take a look at our poly crafts they should fill the gap nicely.....

Perhaps we should have a $ for $ comparo.  Let's start at entry level of abut $10,000.  Oh, sorry, it's gotta be an Aussie.  Go up one to a 435 with a 40.  Bugger, Aussie again.  What are we comparing here guys, Holden utes, to Cadilacs???

43042[/snapback]

Your absolutely correct aussie, under 20k has to be aussie made no arguments there. I am one of those that quinnie was the best option as I only had 20k to spend. Doesn't have to be a cadilac price to start comparing though. Above 25k and we can start comparing american to aussie which is what harry initially asked. Not 100% certain as I haven't looked at quinnies for a while but I reckon 25k will get u a new fully tournament fitted out 445, all inclusions like livewell timers etc. ABA just sold the blue triton tinnie for 25k fully tournament fitted. I know which one I would prefer to own as the triton not just looks nicer, it has sealed decking, moulded seating and many other inclusions. have a look at the pics from triton post

post-114-1113862876_thumb.jpg

post-114-1113862915_thumb.jpg

A fully tournament fitted 475 quinnie would probably sell new around the 30k mark. ABA have just ordered a few 16.5ft fibreglass tritons at 30k each. Basically look the same as the red boat in the triton add but a little bit shorter. This is just a comparison with quinnies, but I know Mango has his attack (nicest aussie fibreglass boat I have seen) for sale second hand at around 33k mark, Ross's full plate elegant fully fitted cost over 30k and I am sure Mike Metcalfs will be mid 40's (just a guess on that one) so really comparing american to aussie is not a holden ute to cadilac comparison in price ranges.

Good points made by all. 

I strongly believe that there will be a Aussie manufacturer who will bring out

the ideal bream boat that will compare to the American bass boats.

Maybe not in fibreglass but alloy might be the way to go.

Quote me if I am mistaken, but, is'nt the Allison cuddy cabin an Australian built boat manufactured in QLD ? Using Aust.products.?

As mentioned these days boats are heading towards how glittery and fast they could go instead of practicality.

I agree we need fast boats for comp's and flashing interiors for our ego's, but what is the use if people are hesitant to fish them hard in hostile waters in case you scratch them.

Do you want to go fishing OR do you want to power boat race ?

Hazza

Don't get me wrong Harry, I will also be happy to see an aussie company make a boat as good as the tritons I have been in, but in answering your initial question at the moment I don't beleive they do and if u had taken micks offer for a run I am sure u would agree.

As I stated in my previous post the fibreglass triton has handled some decent swell and chop much better than any of the aussie boats (including full plate bream boats) I have been in, I didn't comment at all about being the fastest so please don't think these boats are designed just for speed, again I challenge u to take a ride in one and then tell me differently.

Mick fished racks on the first day of the hawkesbury, Mango fishes racks in his fancy fibreglass attack. If u buying one to help u be in the top of tournament fishing then u will have to take it in nasty country and it will do damage just like to any other type of boat, if u are buying a boat to enjoy rec fishing or social comp then u more than likely take care of it more, I very rarely fish the racks in my hornet because I don't want gouges in it and it is only a 20k investment. Instead I look elswhere for my fish and still do ok.

Thanks Harry, u r absolutely correct, my mistake I didn't realise they are different manufacturers but just basically a comment on how well made my allison was. :thumbup:

Anyway u guys have sucked me in enough, I challenge the people that think the boats are just to look pretty and go fast to have a run in one then make up their own mind. In my opinion aussie don't compare and I have had experience with both types and am australian boat owner :thumbup:

If nothing else, my hope is that the imported boats will wake up Aussie manufacturers and finally make them see the light. Anglers have been wanting better finished boats for a long time, and while we've seen the prices come down from where they were when tournament fishing first started, I believe they still have a long way to go. Especially when you see that the only Quintrex advertised tournament ready boat is around $38, 850. around $13,000 more than the std 475 model :wacko:

Why a company hasn't, at worst, purchased one of these US boats and taken a long hard look as to what goes into making them so good has me stumped. I'll continue to by home grown, but I won't stop asking for better value and better equipped boats.

Please don't hold back on my account, especially if u have had experience with both to make a comparison as harry has asked about.  Everyone has different opinions which is why everyone has different boats.  As long as a person doesnt join the conversation to bag aussie or american boats without experience with them I am all for an open discussion.  I have experience in driving and travelling in both including boats from quinnie, stacer, cairns custom craft, elegant and attack and my opinion only is that the aussie market has alot of refinements to make with hull design and decking/seating to match the triton boats I have been in.  I am not trying to force my opinion, ABA have had a free water test day for anyone who is genuinly interested and wanted a true comparison to form their own opinions.

42938[/snapback]

I think my comment was more directed to your smart comment at the end regarding how much hornet sales must have droped over the past few yrs and how the american boats are selling so well.

Rick what are the sales stats like for the american boats? Say for this year?

Id love to know.

You say you have tried a Stacer, could you tell me which one and what the difference was good and bad point?

Looking forward to your return post.

Snag i was with Rick when he look at the stacers, now dont take what rick said personal you are allowed to love your boat but lets not try to compare it to a triton

or any of the other american bass boats.

This is not a s#%t fight lets keep it civil.

As i understand it you have very limited knowledge Boating wise. Best not for you to challenge Rick who has had Boats from the age of 16 and is now 30.

Rick mentioned quite a few other boats including his own as being a prolem boat,if you are happy with your Stacer thats fine buts lets not make this civil post a shit fight as i am interested to hear what people have to say...

What Rick actually said was Quintrex sales must have dropped because of there own faults like warped decks ,crackingboats, creasing boats,boats out of square the list goes on and on, he was trying to say that you do not have to put up with that they are not the only ones out there.

I am not an aussie boat hater there are quite a few good ones around but in reality they just dont compare...

Edited by mick r

yeah as I said I'm not gonna get sucked in anymore, it is an excellent comparison thread so far and I know where u r trying to lead me mate. I don't have sale figures for all american boats, I only know what Tritons have been sold at ABA and what has deposits on it and that is not something that both ABA and the new owners may want aired. I am an unhappy aussie boat owner but I do like rigs such as the new model stacer pro elite and elegants so don't think I am bagging your boat personally. They are stepping up the mark in aussie boats and that is a good thing, but they are only doing that because of the popularity of tournament rigs and competition from boats such as Triton :thumbup: If you have imput for the thread please give it, I have answered all the questions I can from my experience with both types of boats.

Im sold on warranty issues alone..... :1prop: now what do I need to beg borrow and steal to get one of these puppies,

Mick - I do like the look at the TR165 especially at that price, they certainly make you think twice at anything we have at that price.

Cheers

On a simillar note, why is it that the American boats in that class are manufactured better than the Australian counterparts... It is not as if Aussie boat manufacturers are "behind" American technology? Take as a perfect example Riviera, there boats are leaps and bounds ahead of an American equivalent, put a SeaRay next to a Riv (in the same class) and they are chalk and cheese! We have the ability to make world class boats with world class finishes? But just not in this smaller category of Bass/Bream boats? Is it because there has been a longer standing, bigger market in the states than here? Is it because at this end of the boat market we have put up with sub-standard finishes and quality? I have a Stacer and been in a few of the other manufacturers (Aussie) small bass/bream boats and what was just thought as "Standard Quality" now looks dodgy when placed next to some of the newer imported American boats. Maybe we have just accepted the quality because we have never seen any better...

I think the tide is about to turn.

LW

yeah as I said I'm not gonna get sucked in anymore, it is an excellent comparison thread so far and I know where u r trying to lead me mate.  I don't have sale figures for all american boats, I only know what Tritons have been sold at ABA and what has deposits on it and that is not something that both ABA and the new owners may want aired.  I am an unhappy aussie boat owner but I do like rigs such as the new model stacer pro elite and elegants so don't think I am bagging your boat personally.  They are stepping up the mark in aussie boats and that is a good thing, but they are only doing that because of the popularity of tournament rigs and competition from boats such as Triton :thumbup:  If you have imput for the thread please give it, I have answered all the questions I can from my experience with both types of boats.

43504[/snapback]

Thankyou for your reply Rick,

You have answered all my questions.

Hope that we didnt get off the wrong foot mate, i know we are all passionate about our boats, and i think i get your point of veiw Rick.

While we're all flogging the Aussie manufacturers, perhaps we should look at the market in Aus, compared to US. On lake Oroville in the states, on any week-end you may see 500 to 1000 boats. That's one lake on one day. In Aus, there may be 1000 boats fishing on a week-end on all our Bass Lakes combined, but I doubt it. Manufacturers need to get a return on tooling costs and R & D before commit to manufacture.

With the Free Trade Agreement now in place with the US, have the prices of commercially imported boats dropped? We have a small market growing for Triton, Skeeter and Tracker now, will we see even more US coming in, Bullet, Bass Cat, Cajun, there are heaps of them in the states. The good thing is it may make the Aussie manufacturers consider building this style of boat, but I doubt they'll be profitable.

As for the only "Tournament Ready" aussie boat being worth $38K. I'd suggest you go to more tournaments and look at the "majority" of boats entering. $38k is definately in the upper echelon of bass/bream boats.

With regard to damage from racks for the salty guys, Mike Metcalfe's boat has polyethylene rubbing strips on the chines to protect the gelcoat. Pretty good idea and worth considering for the rackers.