Usa Or Australian Bream/bass Boats?

harry.dz

I've been wathcing this thread closely, and have typed a number of replies only to delete them after a re-read. A few vey good points have been made. Its obvious that the Yanks have economies of scale and a much bigger, more mature and more competative market. This kind of environment will always produce top class products. The current exchange rate is a big help when it comes to the Yank boats competing price-wise with the top end Australian boats, I wonder what will hapen if the Aus dollar goes to crap again though. The market for these kind of boats is definately growing fast over here, but is still minute when compared to the overall fishing boat market. The number of fishermen who want a serious alloy (or polyethylene :1naughty: ) tournament style boat is still very much a small minority, its funny how many fishermen I get in the shop who look at me strangely when I tell them I lurecast for bream, and release all my fish. I recently saw a prototype glass boat that will seriously compete with the Yank imports, although at this stage the boat may not even be sold in Australia, but instead just shipped straight to the States. I believe its going to be fitted with a 250HP Verado, and will have a hefty pricetag, possibly too hefty for the Australian market at this point in time. It will be an interesting few years on the boat scene though, especially if the tournament scene keeps going from strength to strength, and more money starts getting sunk into big-dollar glass rigs. Australian manufacturers are certainly more than capable of producing boats that can compete, its just whether the price point that they do it at is economically viable.

I'll stop rambling, just some of my thoughts,

Ben.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi fellas,

Did'nt get to reply last night but after reading peoples comments it appears that the preferences for some boaters is either "a great ride" or "fit-out quality". For instance no warped decks, price range etc......

However, for me its some what different and more complex.

Why you say ????

My preferences would have to be CUSTOMIZATION, Australian made product and high re-sale.

Imported boats will always worry me.

What happens when Importers selling US boats start to find out there is no future in it and stop trading.

What happens to the Aussie US boat owners regarding re-sale and warranty ??????

The "life time warranty" issue.

In the boating industry life time warranty really means 10yrs, correct me if I am mistaken ?????

Too me a boat has to be versatile.

Boating trends change so frequently. How can a US boat owner easily change the fit-out and still be under "life time warranty"?????

With Australian manufacturers it's too easy. :1clap:

Talking about alloy. If imported alloy boats think that they will take over the Aussie market there insulting our industry.

US alloy boats have been branded to some as being "top boats" BUT in actual fact there not ground breaking, just look good to the eye for some.

The Australian industry will not change for the minority. That domain will be taken care off from the Custom boat builders.

When you can order your boat to your exact requirements, your fancy fit-outs and the super hull shape.

There is so much more on offer from Australian boats.

Lets not forget the fibreglass builders coming out with some nice boats, like Haines Group, Attacks, Southern Star etc....

I have been a fanatical boater and game fisherman for years. I have explored all aspects of boating from Australia, US and Europe.

The US have more to offer in boating because of the millions they have to cater for.

US boats provided me with the idea/s for our '35 Express game boat'.

The boat is currently under construction in our factory. (Check out pictures).

At the time of construction Australian boats did not provide me with any ideas and to my disappointment still don't.

So we took it upon ourselves to come up with other influences on boating and customize our own ideas on what we wanted for our game boat.

Considering the recent posts regarding US boats being superior to Australian boats for some, I am going to bring it upon myself together with others and build a customized bream boat.

Keep you all posted :thumbup:

Hazza.

:074::074: sneaky work mate :1clap::1naughty:

Guess with all the talk there might just have to be an on the water Harry's bream boat vs Triton/american boat at one of the social days :thumbup::thumbup: to see which boat rides better and is finished better. It is good that u have raised some good points for aussie boats. I think customization is a great point u have raised :thumbup: On the other hand you have mentioned what will happen if the distributor goes out of business, I would say the same thing as when an aussie builder goes out of business or stops building as may be happening very soon with a popular aussie builder. I don't think anyone stated that american boats were here to take over the market, there is no doubt they won't do that as bass boats are only a small portion of the market, but it is better for all of us that the aussie builders are being forced to increase the quality of their product. Thanks for your imput Harry, I would be even more impressed if u took up Micks offer of a ride in one and put some comments on here about your impression of the ride compared to aussie built comparisons, good or bad.

bit of confusion here me thinks,

Harry's boat is his side project, he is not not a manufacturer. You need to build more than one boat, and sell them to be considered a manufacturer.

Building a custom boat to suit your own needs for your own use cant be regarded in the same way.

He stated he's building A boat, not many boats.

Bulding yourself a custom boat doesn't make you a manufacturer.

Just like im not a rod manufacturer even though i've made up some of my own rods.

Chris

Chris,

You can't blame us for a being a little suss, by my count he's building a game boat and "I am going to bring it upon myself together with others and build a customized bream boat." Harry turned up on a number of forums and his first post was about US vs Aus boats, he then went on to criticise US boats fairly strongly and Aus manufacturers - "At the time of construction Australian boats did not provide me with any ideas and to my disappointment still don't." "I strongly believe that there will be a Aussie manufacturer who will bring out

the ideal bream boat that will compare to the American bass boats.

Maybe not in fibreglass but alloy might be the way to go."- and talk up customization of Australian boats, then reveals he is building a game boat and is going to build a custom bream boat. My apologies for casting any aspersions on Harry, but it didn't seem like he was a non-commercial project boat builder... seems I was wrong...

Guest Jocool

Mick...I'm not looking at buying a boat as I am happy with mine. By the same token, I don't want to sound like I'm criticising a Trinton without going for a ride. But one thing that does warrant discussing I think is the shape of the hull on the alloy Triton!

I have seen pics, but never riden in one so forgive me if I am drawing a wrong conclusion. Looking at the transom of an alloy Triton, it looks virtually flat, as opposed a Hornet, or Stacer for that matter, which have either a gullwing effect or reversed chines. To my way of thinking, having a flat ass is going to make it relatively harsh riding and not able to cope a decent chop. Am I right or wrong in that assumption?? :wacko::wacko:

Glad to clear up the confusion from this morning :yahoo:

Thanking those who personally emailed me. :1clap:

To Rick T, "no sneaky work here mate". YOUR IDEA OFF HARRY'S BREAM BOAT -V- TRITON/AMERICA.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... let me think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CHALLENGE TINNIE -V- TINNIE

In the red corner we have Triton American boats (A MULTIMILLION $ CO.) with 1000's of employee's and exporters to all over the world.

In the blue corner we have two small Custom metal fabricators with one partly completed personal boat project and with another personal project to commence the ultimate bream boat.

.................................BRING IT ON.........................................

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great work Harry, I commend u on your enthusiasm on defending the aussie market. So mate give us a yell when your bream project is finished and we'll line em up at the next fishraider social. Unfortunately the last tinnie was sold this week so unless the owners are willing to bring a tin triton to the social day it could be a problem to meet your conditions of entry. ABA have a few fibreglass boats on order because at the special price of $30k they will sell more successfully than the tin versions because as you have stated there is too much competition with aussie tin boats. Is there a reason why you do not want a fibreglass boat to compare with, afterall the whole question of your thread is US vs Aussie bream/bass boats?? We can have the fishraider team have a ride in your aussie boat and in the triton and give a report on the site of which they prefered for ride and finish. Hopefully we could get a few more top quality Aussie bream/bass boats to also compare and if Micks negotiations are successful maybe another brand or two of american bass boats.

Joe, Pete Morgan has been fishing the ABT rounds in the red Triton tinnie, is it possible to get some info from someone who has been doing some extensive hours in Aussie conditions in a Triton tinnie Mick?

Sorry I forgot the bum is out fishing today so I guess he will get together some info and get back soon.

I tell you what it has been fun thus far. :1clap:

My initial post was US -v- Austr. existing Alloy b.boats.

My post and views changed down the track, when the post appeared of the Triton blue boat (alloy @ $25K). At this point there was mention that there were strong preferences for the Triton over Aussie boats.

I then challenged the idea from Rick.T of Harry's bream boat -v- Triton/America.

At this point, I posted a new post TINNIE -v- TINNIE BRING IT ON.....

Rick.T now your new post is requesting Harry -v- Triton Fibreglass.

Gee's fair dinkum mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ranting2:

I have a personal project that needs approx. $100,000 to complete.(35 Express)

HOWEVER, in saying that don't think it's a excuse the challenge remains as TINNIE -V- TINNIE - b/c I will bring out the ultimate Custom Alloy Bream boat.

But lets not stop there.

It appears to me you like suggesting competitions on behalf of Triton, in that case lets say Triton -v- existing Aussie boats

Fibreglass -v- Fibreglass, Triton boats -v- Haines or Triton -v- Attack or Triton -v- Full Boar etc... as a social day out.

Rick.T?????????????? Mate what is your line of work, if your not working for Triton I suggest you do!

:badair:

Hazza

LAB boats at Taren Point are about to release their bass/bream glass hull. Anyone who knows their ski hull know that they make incredible hulls. I had a look over it recently and its friggin awesome. This is the first Aussie boat that I think can surpass most of the Yank boats, can't wait for a ride...

Ben

P.S. LAB sells their boats direct, Yabbie won't be selling them...

As of next week I will be a housewife for 4 months Harry so I might just get in contact with Triton to see if they want a new rep :1clap::074: Who would think there would be a day when men are given full pay by their company to stay at home and take care of the new born. :thumbup:

Seriously it has been a good topic which has been fair in showing good and bad sides to both manufacturers but in the end it is only demonstrating one thing, aussies are more aware of the quality they can expect. Better boats for aussies whether they are aussie built or US built are on the way. We can keep going back and forward here but I reckon that is just what u r after, we all like different boats for different reasons and being an aussie boat owner myself I look forward to them bringing out better built boats to give me good quality options on my next purchase. When I do upgrade I will do so with an open mind and ride in as many of them as possible and will choose the best boat for me, I am not fussed what country it is manufactured in.

Had a look at the haines prostrike and tackle and tinnie show on sunday, after all the hype about this boat I was dissapointed with what I saw. It does not come close to the yank boats, glad I waited to see one before putting down a deposit, I,m going get prices on the yank boats. I saw the triton at the show it looked good, but I want to have a look at the nitro and the skeeter as well. I heard reports about the skeeter, sounds good too and the price sounds even better. gotone.