Usa Or Australian Bream/bass Boats?

harry.dz

The Skeeter Boats have been getting rave reviews, and they certainly look the part on the websites. I can't wait to see one in the flesh.  :1clap:

44539[/snapback]

swoffa, I just purchased a skeeter sx180, you heard right they are awesome, and the price is right as gotone said, sx180 comes in around $38000 fully rigged including 115 optimax,74lb minnkota,two sounders,beaut ezy tow trailer with mags and galv and paint finish,if your going to glenbawn this weekend there will be three skeeters there, look us up cheers trackka.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

trackka could you give us a report on how your US rig handles aussie conditions mate :thumbup: Has she seen bumpy water and what was your experience in it compared to aussie rigs u have been in?

There have been a few rumors on the vine aswell that a well known aussie company has been purchasing US Nitro boats with permission to rebadge under their name so for a few of the aussie boat supporters they may well be supporting USA without knowing. :1yikes:

My 2 cents worth.

Both Aussie and USA boats have thier merits. Most USA boats are made to cover vast distances in the shorest time possible on lakes and man made dams etc. The Yanks have been doing this a hell of a lot longer than we aussies have. Most Aussie builders now are offering much more advanced setups than what they were previously offering 12 months ago. It will take some time but soon the yanks will soon be importing our boats like they import our cars, our food, our produce and if they can't import them they will just buy out the company and its designs like they do with most of our stuff. We will get their eventually.

If I had to do it over again I know where I would be spending my money, and thats on an Aussie built boat, built by an Aussie, for Aussie conditions and built totally to my specs. Just look at Ross's boat. Its a peice of work that cuts it with the best and best of all its an aussie made rig. It is the best tournament boat I have seen, EVER! :1clap:

I would love to see an Aussie made glass or plate boat take on an equivelant USA made unit on the harbour, chop and all, in peak hour in the morning. Say a race from circular quay to manly. Bet the aussie boat wins :1clap:

Goncrats on the bub Rick.

Seriosly fellas "what bumpy ride", you gota be kiding. The half metre chop, if a boat can"t handle that with eze it should"nt be allowed to be sold in australia. :ranting2: Thing about it we"ve got concerns and ? about how it rides on "BUMPY WATER" . How often to we get water that smooth like in the gataloges that we see or on the internet sites that we downloud. :thumbdown: Pethetic if you ask me .There"s some boats so bloody low a duck could swim over the thing with out missing a beat. :074::badair: hazza

Guest bassifier

Wow... those yanks must have perfectly calm weather all the time eh?? (sarcasm :wacko: )

Seriously guys, where does this idea come from? why do so many people think that US bass boats cant handle rougher water :badair: Do you think that as soon as a US bass boat is placed on lake Ochinychobebebe that the clouds and wind automatically disappear :074::074:

I got news for you, it doesn’t! Their lakes dams and rivers are no different than ours.. Oh wait.. Most of their dams are 50-70% bigger :hitsfan: When wind hits that kind of area.... well do you think it would be pretty :1yikes:

hi guys been great reading this thread i have been around and owned boats for 30 years everything from a car topper to a quinnie fishabout.

but as i am going to fish the bream/bass tournaments once we get a new boat

i have been looking into these types of boats.

i have always been a tinne man :1clap: granted the ride in a glass boat is 50smoother .

as others i worry about marking and damaging boat around rocks and other objects also all these glass boats seem to need more hp on the back = more dollars for fuel.

i also believe they r heavier on a trailer so again more fuel used in car towing boat

also they have one purpose and that is bass/bream fishing not real comfy for my wife when she is drowning bait.

i am not knocking them just pointing out facts.

now on the aussie tinnies i have heard about decking warping in some boats

is this not coverd in warrenty they put in deck it should last not owners fault

they use#$%^&*( materials.

we r battlers as i am sure most of you r we will be putting our faith in the manfactuers hands when we hand over our life savings for our bit of paradise

but after reading all of these comment we r more confused then ever anne my :wife: has suggested if it is that big a problem that maybe we should keep our proline and forget all about it and i am starting to agree with her.

ps i think all the aussie and yank bas boats look good :1clap:

so i am def not biased

regards geoff and anne

Mine was covered by warranty & repaired at no cost. I assume any warped decks are. Don't assume that all Hornets have decks that have warped either! Like many problems Hornets are supposed to have its always " a friends boat" or " I heard of a guy" or " I read somewhere" . I think Hornet problems have been grossly exaggerated on a few sites.

I was perfectly happy with my Hornet & it did everything I wanted it to do. I have been driving boats for 35 years & I think I know a little about it :biggrin2:

I think warped decks will be a thing of the past, I have an 04 model stacer and it has alicore decks so I'm assuming all quinnies coming out of the same factory will now have alicore as well

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the topic.

I think the alicore decks you are mentioning are actually used only on the hatches and not the decks.

Talking about warped decks, I have had a timber deck on my tinnie for 10yrs, it has been water logged for the last few years and guess what it remains as is, the timber has not warped. :1clap:

Hazza

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the topic.

I think the alicore decks you are mentioning are actually used only on the hatches and not the decks.

Talking about warped decks, I have had a timber deck on my tinnie for 10yrs, it has been water logged for the last few years and guess what it remains as is, the timber has not warped. :1clap:

Hazza

45185[/snapback]

Hi Harry,

My Stacer has full alicore throughout the deck and hatches, thats one of the reason I went for it :clapping:. I'm not sure if any of the other Telwater boats have full alicore as yet but no doubt they will in the future.

Would there be any problem with chop when drifting flats with 3ft hammering over the edges of the boat - we take shitloads of water over the edge here - and with these sitting so low when fishing will they cop more? Ive been looking at the bay models on the site - they look mighty fine as well.

cheers

Hope quinnie follow suit Mick if they already haven't :thumbup: . When they replaced my decks the first time they only did all the hatches that were badly warped. Then the decks went the same way and I had to remove the lot and have it all redone. I had no probs with the warranty section just the boat was off the water for a couple of months.

post-114-1114838992_thumb.jpg

Would there be any problem with chop when drifting flats with 3ft hammering over the edges of the boat - we take shitloads of water over the edge here - and with these sitting so low when fishing will they cop more? Ive been looking at the bay models on the site - they look mighty fine as well. 

cheers

45225[/snapback]

Here's a few pics of a new Triton ABA got in today, it is aimed at the tournament fisho that also wants a family/general fishing/watersports boat. Sort of an allrounder.

indash and top mount sounders to be fitted

post-114-1114839217_thumb.jpg

100+ltr rear live well.

post-114-1114839253_thumb.jpg

boss's boy scratchin' his rear while checkin it out.

post-114-1114839283_thumb.jpg

Just got back from glenbawn tonight. I can tell you that the skeeter was fantastic, persons that reckon they can't handle rough water are wrong. I went up the dam yesterday morning and there was 38 boats in front of me and it was rough, as well as wind, there was wash coming all different ways and I was sitting on 45 mph and not once did I have get of the throttle, it just ate it up. Still only getting 5100rpms trying another prop this week, hope to get 5900rpms which should push close to 50mph.Fuel economy was very impressive, 3 days fishing running to the back of the dam and some test runs I used 60 litres of fuel, the 115hp merc optimax was also impressive.Keep you posted when I try the other prop.cheers trackka

Big engines, high speeds concerns me......................

Recently talking with a good friend of mine, a Naval architect that has extensive boating experience & is a top Mariner.

Conversation arose regarding line drawings for building a bream boat.

Speed came up. Most of the new bream boats out on the market are all equiped with delivering high speeds. Some of the boats are capable of reaching 100 k/m's on water.

This concerns me and my fellow friend this is a accident waiting to happen. :ranting2:

For instance the P platers driving today, the accidents caused from inexperienced, young drivers in powerfull cars.

In comparison to this what happens to young boat drivers moving up from a small tinnie with reaching approx. 20 to 28 knots then purchasing boats reaching 50 knots and over.

How can they afford some may say, well you can say like the same reason they can afford the powerful cars, leased, financed e.t.c......

When is SAFETY going to be a priority and when are restrictions going to be opposed by a governing body. For instance a young boat driver should s/he be allowed to drive a boat over a particular speed limit with no prior or little boat driving experience.

Place anyone inside a flashy boat with a large motor at the back, yeah great looks fantastic you feel good in it, that's a great sale for the boating industry.

It's then left to the owner to gain his/hers own experience at dealing with high speed boating. Responsibility is then a issue, how responsible will the person be in driving a boat that is capable of high speeds.

It's then only a matter of time that high speed collisions or accidents could start occuring. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

This will send the boating industry into turmoil.

Too some what I have opinionated may be a load of shit but I am not the only person who has this opinion.

Your thoughts?????????????????????????

:badair:

Hazza.

Guest Jocool
Place anyone inside a flashy boat with a large motor at the back, yeah great looks fantastic you feel good in it, that's a great sale for the boating industry.

It's then left to the owner to gain his/hers own experience at dealing with high speed boating. Responsibility is then a issue, how responsible will the person be in driving a boat that is capable of high speeds.

Hazza.

45612[/snapback]

Thats all well and good Harry, and I agree with you to a certain degree. BUT....The same thing is happening on our roads. Anyone can jump into a 600 HP twin turbo Skyline, and no-one can stop them! :badair: Not a great situation to have when mixed in with some testosorome, and the need by younger guys to show that they can use all that 600 HP which is at their disposal.

So in essence, the responsibility lies with the owner/driver to use that power wisely!

In some situations, that power is used to good effect. But when it is ABUSED is when we have problems. I think it all comes back to common sense! Just because your boat/car is capable of 200 KMH doesnt mean that you can have going at 200 KPH all the time!

Guest Jocool
As mick has mentioned rumor has it waterway's are apparently about to drop a bombshell with speed restrictions in the harbor and Hawkesbury

45629[/snapback]

Do you guys think that a reduction in speeds are warranted? My boat is capable of a good turn of speed, but I generally drive to the conditions!...Just don't ask for Pedro's or Dave's opinion on that!... :074:

I don't see speed being a huge problem in the Harbour. I would be more worried by the wakes of big cruisers! :wacko:

Rick, that is one sweet looking baby, what model is that?

45746[/snapback]

See Mick's post mate, it is rated as a 177 multi species boat.

I agree with Joe that the speed/boating rules should be regulated by waterways authorities and I also agree with Harry in that there should be regulations that will be applied to the whole boating community. Hopefully the new rules "bombshell" should cover irresponsible driving. An idiot is an idiot no matter what boat they are driving.

Last night I was flicking through a magazine when I came across a article from "Bushy" titled "Precision soft Plastics". In this article he write about all the fun him and his buddy have when fishing offshore for Kings & Snappers.

I definently know what his talking about catching Kings until your arms got sore and seeing Reds that you did'nt believe existed in Sydney.

Chasing frenzies that where not your typical harbour stuff. I am talking about mayhem.

This style of fishing was fished from boats ranging from 4 to 4.5m top ender style boats.

Hazza

Edited by Ken A