Stonker Of A Blue Swimmer Crab

Captin

Went out with my unofficial brothers Nick and Beasley yesterday morning for a crab session in Botany Bay. We were in the water by 5.30am and sensed it was going to be a good day, singing "i gotta feeling" most of the morning.

The bait was out and all we could do was wait. Well wasn't much of a waiting game,(thank god as im the most impatient bloke) as they were on immediately.

Over the next three hour we got 27 crabs, including this stonker which i believe is a record equalling for here.

post-11185-126886061521_thumb.jpg

post-11185-126886065192_thumb.jpg

He didn't give us too much greif pulling him up and we knew there was something special about him.

He measures 110mm from front to back and weighed in at 800 grams.

Good to see the bay still has its moments with everything thats been going on with the desal plant and now the construction of the third container terminal.

awsome catch there guys just wondering what style of traps were you using?

Just old fashioned withches hat style traps.

Geez, what a haul!

How many traps did you guys have out?

Because there was three of us we put 15 traps out.

The secret is the bait that attracted them!

Went out with my unofficial brothers Nick and Beasley yesterday morning for a crab session in Botany Bay. We were in the water by 5.30am and sensed it was going to be a good day, singing "i gotta feeling" most of the morning.

The bait was out and all we could do was wait. Well wasn't much of a waiting game,(thank god as im the most impatient bloke) as they were on immediately.

Over the next three hour we got 27 crabs, including this stonker which i believe is a record equalling for here.

post-11185-126886061521_thumb.jpg

post-11185-126886065192_thumb.jpg

He didn't give us too much greif pulling him up and we knew there was something special about him.

He measures 110mm from front to back and weighed in at 800 grams.

Good to see the bay still has its moments with everything thats been going on with the desal plant and now the construction of the third container terminal.

Captin,

What your secret bait did you use?

I have tried crabbing twice since last month on Hawkesbury river and all came back home empty-handed.

I was very disappointed.

Afraid of going the third time and do not like the other half, who never understand the pleasure of fishing,calls a waste of time.

Chrissy

GREAT WORK.

What bait did you use?

Chrissy

Captin,

What your secret bait did you use?

I have tried crabbing twice since last month on Hawkesbury river and all came back home empty-handed.

I was very disappointed.

Afraid of going the third time and do not like the other half, who never understand the pleasure of fishing,calls a waste of time.

Chrissy

I tie $50 notes to the bait loop. It tricks them every time.

Just kidding, can't give away all my tricks to the trade.

mate what a nice haul! what depth were they pulled from?

those little buggers are everywhere at the moment, every trip with my mate to fish the bay/upper georges we've been catching them on our rods when using fish slabs targeting flatties etc. if we haven't gotten a hit on the bait within a few minutes then they move in it gets so bad some days that we'll end up with a crab attached every 2nd cast!

naturally landing them on your rod is a different matter they like to let go of the bait a few meters out of landing net range, we'll land maybe 1 out of every 10, and all this is land based we even get them over 10cm sometimes, and the smalllest was 8cm our pb was a 12.6cm monster

I think its time to invest in a few traps hahahaha

mate what a nice haul! what depth were they pulled from?

those little buggers are everywhere at the moment, every trip with my mate to fish the bay/upper georges we've been catching them on our rods when using fish slabs targeting flatties etc. if we haven't gotten a hit on the bait within a few minutes then they move in it gets so bad some days that we'll end up with a crab attached every 2nd cast!

naturally landing them on your rod is a different matter they like to let go of the bait a few meters out of landing net range, we'll land maybe 1 out of every 10, and all this is land based we even get them over 10cm sometimes, and the smalllest was 8cm our pb was a 12.6cm monster

I think its time to invest in a few traps hahahaha

Invest in some traps and experiment with bait. My first time crabbing, i only landed one, now its a different story.

Just like fishing, move around, try different spots and different bait options.