Captain Cook Squid

pyoubs

Hey guys,

would really like to try my hand at some squid to feed either a juicy kingy or myself.

I rarely have a great deal of time so would need to go somewhere close by (landbased). Im thinking captain cook bridge either sutherland side off the old boat ramp (but surely the jig would struggle in all the weed?) other option was the wharf on the opposite side. If anyone has had any luck these places i would greatly appreciate an inside word.

Cheers

Mate was fishing there a couple off weeks ago they were there oright... Dad n bro went on monday nite i went on tuesday nite... No luck on the squid... bream are there though and the current is unbelievably strong and theres alot off that thin green weed/algae thingo making it nearly impossible to squid...

I reckon u should giv the hacking a go instead... No too far away from there anyways...

Well it looks like i probably try some of those places at the hacking, iv attempted at wallys wharf once but that place was chock a block, even at 11 at night.

Mate i sight fished squid there, The bad thing is because its a river mouth you have to wait until the water is really clean bfore you'll get squid there.Overcast weather is good. :thumbup:

SL,

Do squid follow the clean/clear water?

Have a crack at the little bay just inside Bass and Flinders point in the Hacking.

You can get good access to the rock shelf on each side and at times it is teaming with squid.

as for the water the clearer the better.

Dave

Well it looks like i probably try some of those places at the hacking, iv attempted at wallys wharf once but that place was chock a block, even at 11 at night.

Mate you can get plenty of squid during the day, its not necessarily a night only proposition.

Rock up to any of the wharves at port hacking and cast in the areas with a mixed sandy/weedy bottom and you should get some.

Have a crack at the little bay just inside Bass and Flinders point in the Hacking.

You can get good access to the rock shelf on each side and at times it is teaming with squid.

as for the water the clearer the better.

Dave

May hav to disagree with the clearer the better... I find with the hacking... If its too clear they do not take ur jigs... I find around a week are heavy rain is good. Its not too clear but its clear enough....

Also the Monster squids dont mind the murky water so on many off the bigger squid are in the winter a day after rain wen its extremeely windy.

Guest Aussie007

IMO the water is to murky at the bridges if u can make it over to kurnell fish off of the rocks u shouldnt be in any direct danger of a wave hitting at night just pick a low swell night cast out using a yakka on a barb our yakka the other night got absolutely smashed by a squid it munched just behind the head i was to slow to react