Sydney Fishing

fishhntr

hey guys

i am a young keen fisho and have not misssed a weekend of fishing since jaunuary

but i am still having trouble finding anydecent land based fish or spots ive been from foster down to nowra hunting for some where to find

that satisfying fish but just not haappening

any pointers advice or even locations would be great hopefully i get that bonito ive always wanted

hey guys

i am a young keen fisho and have not misssed a weekend of fishing since jaunuary

but i am still having trouble finding anydecent land based fish or spots ive been from foster down to nowra hunting for some where to find

that satisfying fish but just not haappening

any pointers advice or even locations would be great hopefully i get that bonito ive always wanted

Mate have you been going to all these places by yourself every weekend and still haven't got a bonnie?

Just Wondering Pal.

What Is your current technique for catching Bonnies and what gear are you using and have your techniques worked in the past???

I have never caught a Bonnie but have seen them caught simply by people floating Pillies and spinning from the rocks...

Hope I can help in some way...

Regards,

Nathan

Just Wondering Pal.

What Is your current technique for catching Bonnies and what gear are you using and have your techniques worked in the past???

I have never caught a Bonnie but have seen them caught simply by people floating Pillies and spinning from the rocks...

Hope I can help in some way...

Regards,

Nathan

hey mate um i have thrown everythign at em every lure i own , sp's, baits everything

i have recdentley been told to try the squid looking lures with a popper head soo this weekend off to try that

hey mate um i have thrown everythign at em every lure i own , sp's, baits everything

i have recdentley been told to try the squid looking lures with a popper head soo this weekend off to try that

How heavy is the leader your throwing at them???

and have you had much success with lures in the past??? with other species.

I have found that the lighter the leader the better your strike rate will get.

You can use lures such as chrome slices not sure which one would work better but have observed people using these methods....

Those squid looking lures are very popular and have you tried floating pillies aswell????

Regards,

Nathan

well mate good luck with it if your having luck with plastic on other species then its only a matter of time.

when I have seen people chasing bonnies all they do most of them is put the rod straight down and retrieve with speed and if they are there you should manage to get one.

Regards,

Nathan

Mate bonito arn't the hardest fish to catch. They are pretty stupid most of the time and you getting one will usually depend on if there are any around.

In saying that it seems you may be using the wrong lures for them. Most spinning from the rocks is done by using high speed lures or bibbed lurues.

I personally like twisty 25-35 grams, busted 45's, 45 gram raiders in the metals and Xraps, Xraps and Xraps for the bibbed lures.

Spin the metals fast and run the xraps slower and twitchy.

Also with the line and leader you don't need to go overboard at all. 6-10kg line maximum for bonnies with 20-30lb leader.

However with the small candy bonnies up to about 1kg we go down to 3kg line and 12lb leader and have some fun on them.

Now go get your bonnies and after you hook your first king, see your first tuna or marlin you'll rarely bother with bonnies unless you get bored, need bait or have been on a rock for a few days and need to something for the curry.

As for location, well its not that important, they are getting bonnies from Foster to Batemans bay in big numbers and some good sized ones mixed in as well.

mate, get your self a "mack bait lure" in blue stripes 4" not any bigger you may also get them on the Redhead colour as well , Avoca Beach / Rock ledge usually produces a fair few bonnies where abouts are you located? as i will be heading up to avoca beach this weekend most probably if you want come down as well and check out some of the techniques, and try some out if the bonnies arnt in plague proportion it takes a lil while to get some but hold on when you do :).

i use 3 methods as follows (i have landed rather large bonnies using all these methods):

Pilly Under a float

Spinning Mack Baits and/or metals

Or Float Popper spinning squid skirts setup like below:

FLOAT

|

|

SINKER

SWIVEL

|

|

|

|

About 1.5-2m Trace

|

|

|

|

PLASTIC SQUID SKIRT

BEAD

Decent sized hook (i use gamakatsu Octopus hooks in a size 4-5)

mate, get your self a "mack bait lure" in blue stripes 4" not any bigger you may also get them on the Redhead colour as well , Avoca Beach / Rock ledge usually produces a fair few bonnies where abouts are you located? as i will be heading up to avoca beach this weekend most probably if you want come down as well and check out some of the techniques, and try some out if the bonnies arnt in plague proportion it takes a lil while to get some but hold on when you do :).

i use 3 methods as follows (i have landed rather large bonnies using all these methods):

Pilly Under a float

Spinning Mack Baits and/or metals

Or Float Popper spinning squid skirts setup like below:

FLOAT

|

|

SINKER

SWIVEL

|

|

|

|

About 1.5-2m Trace

|

|

|

|

PLASTIC SQUID SKIRT

BEAD

Decent sized hook (i use gamakatsu Octopus hooks in a size 4-5)

thank i will get myself one of those and definentley trying out that rig

id love to take you up on the offer but i already have a campsite booked to take the missus fishing for the weekend down the south coast hopefully she doesnt pull out a bonnie before i do

thanks for the pointers

Mate, since you going to South, on the way down/back just stop at either Coal Terminal Break Wall or Bass Point. Just stand there for few minutes and observe how other people catching and learn from them.

Prepare yourself a rig that already loaded (such as a float - sinker - swivel - trace - a skirt - bead - a hook,the bead there to stop the hook pulls through the skirt)and just in case you do not have the skirt just ask one of the guys they will happily to get you one.

Please use FC 30 lb trace about two metres long and i am sure you be on it.

Good luck and have a good trip.

Cheers,

Mate, since you going to South, on the way down/back just stop at either Coal Terminal Break Wall or Bass Point. Just stand there for few minutes and observe how other people catching and learn from them.

Prepare yourself a rig that already loaded (such as a float - sinker - swivel - trace - a skirt - bead - a hook,the bead there to stop the hook pulls through the skirt)and just in case you do not have the skirt just ask one of the guys they will happily to get you one.

Please use FC 30 lb trace about two metres long and i am sure you be on it.

Good luck and have a good trip.

Cheers,

thanks mate

bass pt is already on the agenda soo hopefully i can get myself set up right learn the techniques and catch my self a few bonnies

thanks mate

bass pt is already on the agenda soo hopefully i can get myself set up right learn the techniques and catch my self a few bonnies

so how did bass point go mate, couple of weeks ago i seen people pulling bonnies out by the buckets

one of these chicks i seen went to pick the bucket up but couldnt because it was filled with 10 or more

bonnies so this big fellow picked it up and all ready had another bucket in his other hand with the same amount

and this bloke was only 1 of many other people with the same amount.

so how did bass point go mate, couple of weeks ago i seen people pulling bonnies out by the buckets

one of these chicks i seen went to pick the bucket up but couldnt because it was filled with 10 or more

bonnies so this big fellow picked it up and all ready had another bucket in his other hand with the same amount

and this bloke was only 1 of many other people with the same amount.

awww mate went soo well had such a great time fishing for bonnies omn light gear is a blast

thanks for all the info from every1