Carpark Marlin And Something Much Bigger

Rabs

Just returned from fishing Port Stephens last week. Weather and the fishing was unbelievable.

Tuesday we fished The Carpark and tagged a striped (80kg) and a good solid black (120kg +)- all fish taken on live baits. We had sighted marlin all day and had them coming to the back of the boat all lit up while fighting the black.

Wednesday fished south of The Carpark and although not landing any fish we had our opportunities missing a solid blue.

Thursday things got interesting. Fished south again and had difficulty locating the bait as only 2 or 3 boats were out. We headed wide and south pulling lures coming across large columns of baits all stacked up. Just before the lures were pulled in the 80 went off and then the 50 on the short rigger - a solid blue was doing aerials between the 2 lures all lit up and ready to go but no hook-up. Jigs down and a full string of slimey's. Out with the baits with a short wait the 50 goes to work and a good striped is on. As this fish crossed the back of the boat, another larger striped is all lit up and ready but wouldn't take the bait. So we fight the striped and as it was close to the boat with trace and tag ready the fish panics and stips line, about 20 metres from the boat. The water erupts and with the marlin trying to jump free of the water. The water then turns blood red and the line goes slacks - SHARKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!. As we move in for a good look we could see the cuplrit hanging just below the marlin which is still alive, floating but missing it's tail - the fish had turned turtle with blood streaming from the torso. The shark quickly moved between us and the marlin - initially we called it a big Tiger but it had a pointy nose and large girth then he gave us good look and it was a Great White. The next 20 minutes the White circled us, I think to intimidate more than anything. We were hoping it would feed and we could get some awesome shots. These are truly magnificent and scary at the same time.

Anyway, that was 3 awesome days of fishing saw a heap of marlin and got to witness something many will never see - other then on Discovery Channel.

Enjoy some of the photos.

Rabs and Splinters.

post-4948-126923359234_thumb.jpg

post-4948-126923360304_thumb.jpg

post-4948-126923361667_thumb.jpg

post-4948-126923362928_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rabs

Ahh, mother nature at it's finest.

Having just witnessed one of the hottest marlin bites of all time at the Broken Bay comp I can honestly say that I am in awe of her.

And while on the shark theme, there was a 570kg tiger shark weighed in the comp which is the heaviest game fish ever weighed on the Broken Bay club scales. Another boat weighed a 402kg specimen. You have to feel sorry for them, I can picture their excitement on the way back to the weigh in and thinking it was in the bag only to discover that they had been belted by 170kgs!!!!!!

Our tally for the comp:- 15-8-3. All striped marlin. :icon_peace:

Is there anything greated than perfect weather , loads of fish, good mates :1gathering: and a few beers :beersmile: :beersmile:

Sorry for hijacking the post, I just couldn't help it.

Bastards, I hate youse all!

Oh ok, so I'm just jealous, well done to team "Reel Time". I knew you'd get into them & even better that your "LITTLE" nephew felt some magic too. You guys deserve it. And as usual great pics guys. Can't wait for tuna time!biggrin2.gif

I guess all that great fishing really took the pain out of that "rough" ride home in the 'ol esky eh! 074.gif

PS - You won't be needing any bait next time thou, your "Reel Time" custom pushers are gonna be ready for you very soon.

Mik, We did 50 and 60km/h back and forth from the The Carpark on Tuesday and Wednesday. Now if you attempted that in your old Tin Can you would be still rattling.

I hear you're going to call your new pusher the "Dixie Chicken" - you need new crew............ I hope Brett has spoken to you about Bermi on the June long week-end???

Hope all is well and yes we already knew you hate us all.

Matt

Edited by Rabs

Mik, We did 50 and 60km/h back and forth from the The Carpark on Tuesday and Wednesday. Now if you attempted that in your old Tin Can you would be still rattling.

I hear you're going to call your new pusher the "Dixie Chicken" - you need new crew............ I hope Brett has spoken to you about Bermi on the June long week-end???

Hope all is well and yes we already knew you hate us all.

Matt

Tiz true mate that one of the "BOOFHEADS" range will be called the "Dixie Fried Chicken" and I truly hope that name itself will be enough to attract a better quality deckie biggrin2.gif

I'm all but packed for Bermi already, jezz how sad is that!

My old tin can as you so affectionatley call it wouldn't have needed to do that many klms to find fish in the first place 074.gif

Seriously though & all sledging aside (for two seconds anyway) congrats to ya's. I was delighted when Splinters told me about the days you guys had experienced.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiz true mate that one of the "BOOFHEADS" range will be called the "Dixie Fried Chicken" and I truly hope that name itself will be enough to attract a better quality deckie biggrin2.gif

I'm all but packed for Bermi already, jezz how sad is that!

My old tin can as you so affectionatley call it wouldn't have needed to do that many klms to find fish in the first place 074.gif

Seriously though & all sledging aside (for two seconds anyway) congrats to ya's. I was delighted when Splinters told me about the days you guys had experienced.

Hey boof im back with new user name. Splinters has gone into retirement. Sick of sittin on fences. Awesome time at Pt but Bermie and the fin will be the real fun. Was chatting to the dixie about the 'fried chicken' and is well impressed. Thinks he has something up his sleeve though. Packed for Bermie as well.

• 2 weeks later...