Canada Bay Fishing Ban

Hi guys I just found this article in todays inner west courier thought I would share-

CANADA BAY FISHING BAN LOOKS LIKELY

Its time to pull in the reel: NSW Maritime has confirmed that banning fishing from public wharves in Canada Bay "looks promising".

At a meeting last week, Canada Bay Council voted unanimously to support Mayor Angelo Tsirekas's mayoral minute to request NSW Maritime ban recreational fishing from public wharves in all of Canada Bay.

The decision was in response to an increasing number of complaints from residents and commuters about rubbish and dead fish left behind by anglers.

NSW maritime recently met police, fishing groups, relivent councils and ferry operators, communications manager Neil Patchett said.

"We will work towards ensuring public wharves in the harbour are safe and clean," he said.

Drummoyne Bait and Tackle owner Vera Salevski said the ban could result in heavy loss of sales.

"we have about 500 customers a week and we could drop in sales if this happens," she said.

" its not very good considering when the boat ramp at Tamplin park was getting renovated we dropped in sales, so this will make it worse."

Concord fisherman of 20 years George Anastasiadis said fishermen who didn't clean up afterwards were ruining it for everyone else.

I'm up in arms about this," he said. "I have been fishing off wharves in the area since I could walk. They are public and safe and it's sad other children are not going to be able have this experience."

Mr Anastasiadis agreed with Drummoyne State MP Angela D'Amore, who has called for a platform to be built near wharves for fishing.

But Cr Tsireekas said that would just shift the problem. "Sydney Harbour is a big place and there is a lot of legal areas they can fish from," he said.

NSW Maritime have supported our case in saying that out of Sydney Harbour area, two of the worst wharves for fishing activity are Cabarita and Abbotsford."

Whats the big deal - there is no decent fish there anyway.

If you make a mess then expect to be banned - quite simple really.

If you're a proud fisher-person then tell people to take their rubbish with them.

I agree mate :thumbup:

If the council are successful in introducing the bans, then its only a matter of time before other councils follow suit.

If you're a proud fisher-person then tell people to take their rubbish with them.

I wouldn't want to approach some of the idiots who are causing this problem in the first place. Not worth getting stabbed, bashed and/or have fishing gear stolen.

Cheers.

All this all because some idiots cant look after the local area, if u say something they abuse u & throw bottles, sinkers at u & what ever else they"l do too u. we went to a wharf at balmain 3 or 4 weeks ago & there were 6 people there already & they completely pissed throwing there rubbish every where so we decided to go somewhere else so there was no trouble

thats my say cheers john

If the council are successful in introducing the bans, then its only a matter of time before other councils follow suit.

I wouldn't want to approach some of the idiots who are causing this problem in the first place. Not worth getting stabbed, bashed and/or have fishing gear stolen.

Cheers.

yep i agree

fine the bastards ..... confiscate there fishing gear and there licence ......

sorry BUT i have no patentence for these aholes who are spoiling it for everyone else .

these people will only move to another area and before long that would be closed off as well ...................

craig

Whats the big deal - there is no decent fish there anyway.

If you make a mess then expect to be banned - quite simple really.

Sorry Tan I have to dissagree, i have taught my younger sister and a number of young cousins to fish on these wharves and am sad that future generations wont have this ooportunity. I think the banning of these wharves will only shift the problem elsewhere and lead to justifying further bans around the harbour. if they ban fishing at half the wharves it will just double the number at the remaining places.

I hope these retards that leave their crap around get it into their head before its too late.

Sorry Tan I have to dissagree, i have taught my younger sister and a number of young cousins to fish on these wharves and am sad that future generations wont have this ooportunity. I think the banning of these wharves will only shift the problem elsewhere and lead to justifying further bans around the harbour. if they ban fishing at half the wharves it will just double the number at the remaining places.

I hope these retards that leave their crap around get it into their head before its too late.

I agree a god place to teach/learn to fish but there still arent any decent fish in that area. You cant eat them anyway. Good place to learn but not fish.

this is SOOOOOOOO counter productive!!!!

the problem is, they'll ban fishing off wharves and then have cops out enforcing the ban!!

HELLLLOOOOOOO?!?!!? Have cops out NOW enforcing the "pick up your crap before you leave" rule and we wouldn't have this problem in the first place!!!!

i've called fisheries and police AT LEAST 50 times over the last 10 years for either people keeping illegal fish (10cm snapper is an example that comes to mind!) or over fishing or people coming onto a wharf and having a BBQ then expecting others to clean up after them and NOT ONCE....that's right.... NOT ONCE has anyone turned up!

where are our licencing dollars going?!?!?

i bet you the cops will show up to enforce the ban though cause it means $$$$ to them in fines!!!

I've fished harbour wharves for years for blackfish. We don't make or leave a mess. But i don't blame councils for banning fishing on wharves when you see some of the mess that ignorant, lazy axxxholes leave. We went to Valentia Street Wharf for a bit of a fish last saturday and was disgusted with what we saw. Not on the wharf itself but in the parking circle theres a wooden rail that goes around at the waters edge. On the top rail were about 20 pilchard heads that were obviously cut off so the remainder could be used as bait, plus the empty pilly wrapper. Too lazy to even throw the heads in the water, or put the bag in the garbage bin that was no more than 20metres away.

yep i agree

fine the bastards ..... confiscate there fishing gear and there licence ......

sorry BUT i have no patentence for these aholes who are spoiling it for everyone else .

these people will only move to another area and before long that would be closed off as well ...................

craig

Problem is, half the time these guys aren;t even licenced!

But I agree that they should be patrolling/responding to calls, and fining people for littering, rather than fining the majority who do the right thing for fishing off the wharves (if or more so when the bans are sucessful)

Sad really, but very common, and not just around the harbour, but most places i've fished to find shit left behind :ranting2:

really in the long run there's no use in whinging because there's really nobody listening

every time i have ever gone fishing and seen idiots its normally the same kind of people. but really

the justice for use good fisho's is there probley keeping there catch and taking them home and eating it, just down the road at rhoads is a land remediation ground that had affected the whole of the sydney harbour, cant eat the fish from the bridge back to parra because there very high in iron. has anybody ever court any mutant fish latly around canada bay rhodes gladsville. this is the cause

Hi Guys,

I live in the canada bay area and used to go to cabarita park/wharf to fish for a couple of hours every so often. There seems to be the same type of idiot each time i go. One guy once walked past a bin and threw his foam coffee cup straight into the water. They are unlicenced, keep undersized fish (buckets of them) and make a mess. There was a sign on cabarita wharf saying "no fishing from the wharf", but the idiots keep pulling it down, I suspect to say they didnt know if authorities arive.

I dont know what the answer is, but i would start by having a fisheries officer regularly attend these wharves. if they are worried about their budget or funding, I guarantee, the revenue raised from unlicenced fishos and illegal fishing would cover the extra couple of shifts.

I just want to be able to take my kids to fish in these areas in a safe enviroment, and have them catch something, not say "we used to catch heaps here until the idiots cleaned out the fish stock by catching undersized fish".

• 1 month later...

I think that there should be a "tip-off" hot line. Just as in Canada, if you are at a local area and find people (filthy people fishing-don't deserve the name fisherman), who are committing these acts, call the number and usually goes to a Ranger's pager with location. He/She responds and cleans out the garbage. :wife:

• 2 weeks later...

To those of you who condone this ban, i really feel sorry for you. First and foremost you are being mislead, if you honestly believe that they are closing these wharves due to those who leave their rubbish behind, then you really should go back to first grade because thats about as great as your intelligence is. If rubbish was the issue, they would get the correct authorities out there to issue fines. They even have surveillance cameras at most wharfs, if they REALLY wanted to discipline people, then they would know when and how to. This is just another GREEN initiative which will start here and spread throughout the harbour.

People throw rubbish on the streets, in parks, at the beach, SHOULD WE CLOSE THEM TOO?

Dont be so nieve guys!

To those of you who condone this ban, i really feel sorry for you. First and foremost you are being mislead, if you honestly believe that they are closing these wharves due to those who leave their rubbish behind, then you really should go back to first grade because thats about as great as your intelligence is. If rubbish was the issue, they would get the correct authorities out there to issue fines. They even have surveillance cameras at most wharfs, if they REALLY wanted to discipline people, then they would know when and how to. This is just another GREEN initiative which will start here and spread throughout the harbour.

People throw rubbish on the streets, in parks, at the beach, SHOULD WE CLOSE THEM TOO?

Dont be so nieve guys!

Sorry, I don't agree.

It has way more to do with paying commuters slipping on fish guts and making a huge public liability claim. Also, I assume that the loss making Sydney ferries would prefer to not have to pay someone to clean up their wharves. Then there is the night time anglers who piss on til all hours and make too much noise.

Have to agree with Puppydawg. If there isn't anybody policing these issues now, who will police the bans?

Even if they ban fishing of the wharves the filthy pigs who leave their rubbish will go to the adjoining reserves and do the same will Mayor Tsirekas ban fishing in the Parks also.If someone gets hurt in the park due to fishing waste is it not he same thing.His Argument is flawed and People will still fish at night and the authorities will do nothing so keep fishing boys.If everyone defied the ban the courts will get fed up with all the cases the problem is we are not united as fishermen.Does anyone have any information on the latest development with this issue?

Regards Steve

I think that there should be a "tip-off" hot line. Just as in Canada, if you are at a local area and find people (filthy people fishing-don't deserve the name fisherman), who are committing these acts, call the number and usually goes to a Ranger's pager with location. He/She responds and cleans out the garbage. :wife:

This is the way to go unfortunatly though this wouldn't enter the heads of anyone in power here as they are green orientated and against fishing anyway.No one is smart enough in goverment to suggest this and it would be an added expense they would say we can't afford but I agree a Ranger is the way to go If we had the law enforcement that could respond to problems like this these fiends could be dealt with accordingly but its not hard to be tidy and I get a certain feeling of satisfaction taking my plastic and rubbish with me I wish others where the same.I recall whilst fishing the outer tubes once witnessing some guys respool an over head and 1st stripping all thier line and leaving it along with the rest of thier crap after they left this is a place I've had penquins run between my feet monofilament fishing line discarded in the environment is a big killer and I hate it people who leave rubbish behind are morons and should be treated as such...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I live in Canada Bay Council and I believe closing the wharfs to fishing in my area is the way to go. Like most people have already suggested those who fish from the wharfs generally leave a mess. But they are also the type of people who don’t have a fishing licence and take under size fish. Unfortunately on the wharfs at night there have been instances of anti social behaviour. Last year on Cabarita wharf two men were stabbed and one was bashed. For locals like me these places are no go zones at night. I’d like to see wharfs closed and only open to those travelling on the ferry. For one I won’t have to stand because of the filth covering the seats. Nor will I have to share a wharfs with rubbish and people who resemble rubbish. Hopefully a gate is erected and is only open during the hours that the ferries operate.

Mate why ban the majority because of a few halfwits. If we took your suggestion you would have to enclose bus stops, train stations, shopping malls etc all of which have similar problems. The trouble with the fishing fraternity is that they tend to cop whatever is thrown at them without too much noise. Instead of stopping people fishing get the council rangers, police, transport security, fisheries inspectors etc earn their money and go catch some of these lowlifes and throw the book at them. If enough of them are fined and fined heavily, they may get the point,

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Closing off wharves isn't the answer, just like other places that are now no go zones, we have become the biggest nanny state with so many laws, restrictions, bi-laws etc etc that it's become impossible to keep up with and that you can't even scratch your butt without maybe getting a fine. Last time I checked we were a FREE country and a democracy, wowsers, minority groups & righteous people whining to much and having to much say in what the rest of the state can and can't do. :ranting2:

Edited by Fezza

I catch the ferry. Those who don't live in an area where there is an option of using the ferries don't understand the problems faced by those of us who use the ferry. The feeling of most people in the local area is to close the wharfs to fishing because of the filth and the low life’s that gather on wharfs. To those that don't live in Canada Bay and travel miles to fish here. Tuff luck you'll just have to go somewhere else. We've had enough. Anyway last time I checked this wasn’t a free country. Everyone has rights. But you also have responsibilities. Unfortunately the few that have done the wrong thing have ruined fishing for the majority.