Botany 25-3-2010

Penguin

Hi everyone,

My neighbour Jono and I went for a fish out of the bay today, we downrigged some Garfish

around most of the bays markers for not a single fish. Then we went outside of the bay

in a southerly direction, we had 2 Gars down on the riggers and a Halco lure up top.

There was 2 spots that we found that held the Kings, I managed to land a 76cm King, on

the starboard rigger, that was followed by five 60-64cm models :( . Young Jono got hit on the

port rigger by 4 larger specimens (70cm+), but Jono using an overhead reel on a short stick

for the 1st time dropped them all near the boat, he even managed to find a hard fighting

Barracouta that cut him off on the prop. That is one fish I never expected to see, but we

had a good look at him before he won his freedom. With our 12 Gars all gone we ventured

back into the bay. Fishing around the drums proved fruitless as we found hoards of small

Snapper. With the wind and chop now picking up we moved over to the oil wharf, we found

heaps of 27-32cm Trevs which we returned and hoped would go away but they didnt. Jono

catches himself a Shovel, I take a pic for him as its a new species for him and then

he released it. I had a good size King on for about a minute, then he turned and ran

for the wharf which was about 80-100mtrs away, I told Jono not to bother with the net,

as I was not going to be able to stop this fish now that he has the afterburners on.

When the King was aprox 20mtrs from the safety of the wharf I lock up my drag, and

straight away my 12lb mono pops. I get the line back minus the hook and about 2 inches of

my leader :( .At this point it was time to pack up and get to school in time to pick

up my boys.

PS - It was strange to not find or see any Bonnies or Macs today.

Jono with our only legal King

post-1664-126951013301_thumb.jpg

Jono and his 1st and hopefully last Shovel nose.

post-1664-126951016213_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

I fish the spots you guys do and have the better of luck, of any other place, was funny it sounded much the way I fish around the bay!! I fish the small reef jus south of the South head of Botany Bay it ALWAYS holds some good fish, I got busted off there by a approx 75cm Kinghy I had him to the surface when he made a last lundge at my anchor rope and snagged me!!!

Great fishing and good fun...keep it up!

Great work there penguin.

Just a question: How do you rig up your garfish for trolling?

When I had some live garfish, I had to place the hook on the arse. If I hooked them in the shoulders the weight of the hook would tip them upside down.

Jeff

Hello Penguin,

Yes, i do agree with you. There was no bonito or macs today. We trolled the Botany south head today for donut. There was alot of seaweed floating that made it hard to troll.

Came back to Moli point, there was a rock fisherman already. We just left him and went to the third run way. Packed up about 1 pm., get ready to pick up the kids.

Congrats on your catches,

Cheers

well done looks like a u had a great day good to see kings still thick around the headlands

Spongy: u can troll the garfish with out bridleing it up by using ganghooks or 2x hook rig with a squid skirt over the head helps to prevent it spinning

Hey Penguin,

Seems like you are favouring this new technique of trolling garfish. What sort of rod and reel combo were you running (the overhead you referred to when Jono was fishing) as i have never had any problems using a overhead jigstick in terms of losing hooked fish?

Well done on a good day out, the weather was beautiful this morning that's for sure!!!

Andrew

Great work there penguin.

Just a question: How do you rig up your garfish for trolling?

When I had some live garfish, I had to place the hook on the arse. If I hooked them in the shoulders the weight of the hook would tip them upside down.

Jeff

Spongy, I feed a 6/0 or 7/0 long shank hook through the dead Gars mouth then out the the

side of the gill, push the hook back into the gill cavity and around so that the hook

point protrudes out of the belly in a forward direction. Then wire shut the Gars mouth

and wire a size 2 or 3 bug sinker under the gars chin and through the eyes. The bug sinker

acts like a keel on a yacht and keeps the Gar upright when trolling. Also snip off 3/4s of

the Gars beak so he swims better.

cheers

Edited by penguin

Hey Penguin,

Seems like you are favouring this new technique of trolling garfish. What sort of rod and reel combo were you running (the overhead you referred to when Jono was fishing) as i have never had any problems using a overhead jigstick in terms of losing hooked fish?

Well done on a good day out, the weather was beautiful this morning that's for sure!!!

Andrew

Andrew the rod Jono used was a 5'10" Shimano Taipan Extreme roller tip, with an Omoto

KAM 500LD overhead reel. The short size of the rod (failing to lower rod tip into the water

when the fish ran back under the boat) and his 1st time using and overhead reel and not

being used to it cost us a few fish. But he had fun trying to land em.

The kids only 17 and still new to fishing so heaps for him

to learn yet.

cheers

Edited by penguin

Andrew the rod Jono used was a 5'10" Shimano Taipan Extreme roller tip, with an Omoto

KAM 500LD overhead reel. The short size of the rod (failing to lower rod tip into the water

when the fish ran back under the boat) and his 1st time using and overhead reel and not

being used to it cost us a few fish. But he had fun trying to land em.

The kids only 17 and still new to fishing so heaps for him

to learn yet.

cheers

Good on ya John. Great to see you getting the young bloke out and teaching him the ropes. Judging by your comments, you're a patient tutor, which is a huge plus for Jono. Keep up the great work as always mate. I hope karma rewards you with another crackin YFT this year

Cheers

Ian

Spongy, I feded a 6/0 or 7/0 long shank hook through the dead Gars mouth then out the the

side of the gill, push the hook back into the gill cavity and around so that the hook

point protrudes out of the belly in a forward direction. Then wire shut the Gars mouth

and wire a size 2 or 3 bug sinker under the gars chin and through the eyes. The bug sinker

acts like a keel on a yacht and keeps the Gar upright when trolling. Also snip off 3/4s of

the Gars beak so he swims better.

cheers

Thanks Penguin and McFishin. I'll give them a shot next time.

Hi Penguin ,

There were definitely no bonito , I was in the silver boat next to you when you caught the 76 cm fish it looked like it gave you a solid workout :thumbup: . I thought it was you with your blue shirt on will say Hi next time.

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

Hi Penguin ,

There were definitely no bonito , I was in the silver boat next to you when you caught the 76 cm fish it looked like it gave you a solid workout :thumbup: . I thought it was you with your blue shirt on will say Hi next time.

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

I remember sumone in that boat giving us a good look over as we trolled past, must

have been you. we'll say hi next time.

cheers