Central Tablelands

dean

Hi All,

After a long hot summer and the weather slowly cooling, I thought it was time to chase some trout in the mountains.

I spent 6 hours fishing my Favorite river on Saturday. The morning was cool and the fish were hungry. As the day warmed the fish slowly went off the bite.

The rivers are low and clear, I started with bright colored lures first and then changed to natural patterns as the sun hit the water. Megabass x55's and zipbaits did the damage, ended up with 19 fish for the day, all released. Lots of miss hits and dropped fish, also one redfin.

April's going to be a great month to hit the rivers, especially on cooler and overcast days.

Cheers Dean

post-6684-126976735721_thumb.jpg

post-6684-126976736705_thumb.jpg

post-6684-126976737645_thumb.jpg

post-6684-126976738495_thumb.jpg

post-6684-126976739446_thumb.jpg

post-6684-126976740171_thumb.jpg

post-6684-126976741542_thumb.jpg

post-6684-12697676858_thumb.jpg

What river was that mate? they reckon the Fish River at O'connell is going off at the moment.

Norto

Was the Fish norto. Even though the rivers low at the moment the rain over summer kept the trout in good condition and they are certainly hungry.

nice catch.

i am currently in BC, canada and am planning on spinning some rivers and streams over summer. What is your setup? not really sure what weight line etc I should be fishing for river trout as i haven't really done it before.

Do you think a light baitcaster setup would be an advantage compared to a spin setup for this style of fishing?

nice catch.

i am currently in BC, canada and am planning on spinning some rivers and streams over summer. What is your setup? not really sure what weight line etc I should be fishing for river trout as i haven't really done it before.

Do you think a light baitcaster setup would be an advantage compared to a spin setup for this style of fishing?

emetic, because of the smaller lures used I prefer spin gear. Depending on the size of river your fisihng a 1-3kg, 6-7ft spin stick with a 2000 size reel loaded with 4-6lb braid and 6-8lb fluro leader is all you need.

Good luck in Canada, would love to see some photos if you catch a few.

Yeah thought it might be mate I only live about 2k's from the fish and due to work have not been able to get there for a bloody long time. :mad3:

Only 2k's away, I'd be down there every second afternoon :074: Did you get any rain overnight? Are they catching many redfin in the O'connell area?

emetic, because of the smaller lures used I prefer spin gear. Depending on the size of river your fisihng a 1-3kg, 6-7ft spin stick with a 2000 size reel loaded with 4-6lb braid and 6-8lb fluro leader is all you need.

Good luck in Canada, would love to see some photos if you catch a few.

cheers dwag, will go on a hunt for a spin stick then!

will take some snaps when hopefully i get into a few, I'm moving to pemberton (near whistler) next week, the river fishing in the mountains up there is meant to be A grade.

Yeah your right DWAG I should be down there a fair bit but with shift work and kids sport no where near enough time. I actually put the boat in at Chifley more than I get to the fish ,tiger snakes tend to keep me away a bit I get enough of em around the house I don't need to run into em when I am fishing as well. Have not heard many reports about the redfin at the moment mate so could not tell you about them and we ended up with 62mm of rain since early Monday morn.

Great report & pics Dwag!

I caught my 1st ever Trout in the Fish River when I was 12 yrs old. Been there many times since.

We used to always camp & fish at Tarana. Now was always one of the best times to fish the area. Not too cold & the snakes aren't as active as they are in summer. The average size of the fish seems better as well.

Thanks for the update on an area that holds alot of fond memories for me. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Great report and catch mate!

When i go to NZ later this year im goin to give them a go and here i was thinking fly was the only productive way to catch them

Cheers Pete

Awesome to see the Fish in great shape! aussies browns ahve such special markings and they are sooooo much prettier than the ones we get here on the Nth Island always reckon aussie browns have better markings!

hey breambucket if your near Wellington when you come over drop me a PM depending on the season i can show you round most rivers close April 30th except for Hawkes Bay region.

Dawg hit the Manuwatu today between three of us we banked 50 rainbows to 5lb and dropped loads missed loads all on the fly H&C's or sedge patterns!

Awesome to see the Fish in great shape! aussies browns ahve such special markings and they are sooooo much prettier than the ones we get here on the Nth Island always reckon aussie browns have better markings!

hey breambucket if your near Wellington when you come over drop me a PM depending on the season i can show you round most rivers close April 30th except for Hawkes Bay region.

Dawg hit the Manuwatu today between three of us we banked 50 rainbows to 5lb and dropped loads missed loads all on the fly H&C's or sedge patterns!

Yeah love the colour of browns, no two fish are the same. Nth Island fish might not have the colour but they make up for that with there size, some of the fish i've seen are absolute monsters.

50 rainbows in a day is a top session. NZ is a trout fishers paradise, somewhere I would like to visit one day.