Split Cane Trout Rod - Tips On Renovating

Cameron

Jethro & others,

Via other searches on the net, I have managed to get in touch with a very helpful fellow from Launceston who is supplying me with step by step instructions on  how to renovate split cane rods. I will put this up when I get a chance. It seems that this has struck a chord with a few of us who have old cane rods sitting in the shed or garage.

44019[/snapback]

I would be very interested to see that info when you get it Cameron.

G`day Fellas ,

Hey Jethro , A distant Auntie , Managed the Bondi Baths for yonks , and I used to head out there sometimes for the Hols .

I used to body surf a fair bit , And even tried the Boards too , but never got around to surfing as a hobby.

Floating sewerage was always a problem , and I supppose I too believed I was bullet proof like everybody else , but too many exotic diseases are floating around now for my liking .

Incidently at the southern end of The baths , there is a shallow hole approximately

14 ft wide and 5/6 feet deep , and it produces some good bream on occaisions .

I used to Mix half a loaf of Stale bread for Berley , and use the crusts for bait .

But looking at it , you wouldn`t give it a second glance .

I discovered it when hunting crabs for bait to use at North Bondi Later on that day.

Mick

Jethro & others,

Via other searches on the net, I have managed to get in touch with a very helpful fellow from Launceston who is supplying me with step by step instructions on  how to renovate split cane rods. I will put this up when I get a chance. It seems that this has struck a chord with a few of us who have old cane rods sitting in the shed or garage.

44019[/snapback]

G`da Fellas ,

Cameron , By Gee , I`m getting some marvellous flashbacks of fishing from those split cane days , that untill now , had been almost erased from my memory Banks.

I put a few up later on over the weekend.

Mick

what allen has to say !!

spilt cane lovely old style of rod but pointless to use in this day and age

heavy slow and cumbersome, Expensive brittle and prone to breakage.

the yanks and the japs have a market that produces and uses them but I cant see the point. Each to his own I suppose and if it pushes there buttons good on em but I think theres a lot of delusion and myth about its abilities and performance capabilities. high mod modern materials beat even the best moden split canes, hands down.

On the old spilt cane front, the cane is inevitably too dried out from sitting in a garage or shed for the last 40 yrs. This will leave you with a rod thats way to brittle to use and will snap even after a restoration.Im Currently restoring one now that was in a cupboard and rod bag and even that was dried out. So my suggestion is to get it restored and hang it on a wall.

Jethro,

This is off the topic a little, but hearing about your grandfather's exploits at Yellow Rock gave me the shudders. Yellow Rock would have to be the most dangerous fishing spot in Sydney, with over 100 fatalities recorded there over the years. I have not heard of any deaths there in recent days, but back in the days of the sewer outfall from the shore, it was bad news. I am glad that your grandfather survived it because otherwise there may not have been a Jethro!

I would also love to hear more.

I have a three paice blackfish rod given me by my father all silk bindings silver nickel guides and rattan over cork grip. I have researched on the net a fair bit about building a rod from scratch. There are numerous sites if you do a google search. In America they have weekend camps where you can go and use their equipment to build a rod from scratch and learn from masters. Have not been able to find anywhere in Oz that does it. I would love to build from scratch a cane rod tie on one of my flies and catch a big bass or trout........

below is a link to a simple yankee site that has some good pics on building.

Cheers

Trev

http://www.thomaspenrose.com/tonkin.htm

Jethro,

This is off the topic a little, but hearing about your grandfather's exploits at Yellow Rock gave me the shudders. Yellow Rock would have to be the most dangerous fishing spot in Sydney, with over 100 fatalities recorded there over the years. I have not heard of any deaths there in recent days, but back in the days of the sewer outfall from the shore, it was bad news. I am glad that your grandfather survived it because otherwise there may not have been a Jethro!

44344[/snapback]

Spot on Cameron. It was a vey dangerous spot to fish but the old boy was always very careful. He never fished it in any sort of swell.

The problem with yellow rock is that there are big caves under the platform. If you got washed in 9 times out of 10 you would end up in the caves. Not the best way to spend the weekend