1991 140Hp Yamaha 2 Stroke

jdwez

Can anyone give me some advice?

For the 1st time I have developed an issue with the motor, a 1991 140hp Yamaha 2 stroke.

Always run like a swiss watch with no problems at all.

1st work the motor has done since the service last week, returning from Long Reef, when I pushed the control down

to power back to Sydney harbour the thing died after vibrating the whole boat ( Haines Hunter Centre Console ).

It chugged along Ok at low revs ( 2000 ) but any sort of pressure and it would stall.

After about 15mins of this it came good and I was able to motor in at any speed I chose. So I thought it may have been some moisture in the fuel.

I stopped in the harbour to pick up a crab trap and when I went to power off it happened all over again, this time

I was almost back to the ramp until I was able to give it full throttle without it stalling on me.

Has any one wittnessed this from an engine of simailar age?

Should I bite the bullet and re-power the boat with a new motor?

Any advice welcome...

Take it straight back ,and get them to find out why it is doing this . This could be a serious safety risk , if you need full throttle in a hurry and it dies.....

Ross

Im with Ross mate, take it back and get them to take a look. You never know when u need to gunn it

At a guess without seen it I would say your mechanical advance gets stuck due to corrosion/ luck of use . The way to check it with engine off push the lever all the way down and see if the advance lever follows .

At a guess without seen it I would say your mechanical advance gets stuck due to corrosion/ luck of use . The way to check it with engine off push the lever all the way down and see if the advance lever follows .

The boat is back at the service centre in Carlton.

Reckon you might be right about the throttle control, being almost 20 years old.

I'll let you know what they coe up with today.

• 2 months later...