Fishing Line For Shimano Tld25: Braid & Mono?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to gamefishing so please be gentle! :)

I have purchased two TLD25's with short shimano beastmaster rods (I think 15kg -24kg)

I will be mainly bottom bouncing in Jervis Bay and do the occasional trolling with lures and live bait.

From what I hear braid is the best for bottom bouncing due to its lack of stretch.

Both reels can take 600m of 30lb or 450m of 40lb.

Buying a full 1200m (possibly double this due to the reduced diameter of braid) of braid will be rather expensive.

Apparently, I hear I could maybe fill each reel with 500m of 15kg mono and uni knot 150-200m of 30kg braid.

Or is there a place that could sell reasonable priced braid by the meter in the shoalhaven area?

All ideas welcome!

Thank you kindly.

Hey sunset,

that is not a bad choice of reel a bloody tuff and a good work horse, yeah put mono down and then Top shot with your braid and when you go out trolling run say 40m or 50m of mono as your shock leader. But don't go too heavy with the shock leader(stay around your line class) as you wont get the absorption of the impact from the strike that you need. If you are still pulling hooks out of the fish back your drag down off strike.

what are you going to be trolling for?

Me personaly if I do any trolling I don't use braid!

but see how you go you can always take it all off and start again ;) .

Dave. :au:

Thanks for the replies.

Well I have never trolled before. So I am not too sure what to do.

So does everyone think I should stick to 600m of 15kg mono (Or 450m of 20kg ) mono? I would like to know soon

before I go out on the bay for some bottom bashing. Your info is much appreciated.

mono will work fine for bashing

not as good as braid tho as braid has no stretch but it will still work

you can get mono with very low stretch that would do the trick too

if you going to be doing more bottom bashing them any thing else might be a good idea to do what Dave suggested

top shot with braid so fill the spool with some 350mtrs of mono then fill the rest with braid

Hey Lads

Really at the end of the day mono line will work on no matter what you are doing, and yep braid is more responsive and great in deep water. but unless you are fishing some deep water then you should have a problem with mono, I have fished 60 meters with mono no worries. Braid can be a hard to fish with too at times, I do use braid but for spinning for tuna and chasing jacks. Unless you find that you do really need it why spend the $$$$$, make your fishing easy you will love it more :thumbup: .

That shock leader for the braid I mentioned, you don't need to go out and buy the best mono. Some of the cheaper stuff has great stretch and is as tough as nails.

Both types of line are good it comes down to what suits you but you will find it hard to get the best out of your gear when you are multi-tasking with it as well.

Drag 2 Sunset, How deep is the bay you fish mate and what are you chasing out there?

Dave. :au:

Edited by The Baker

Hi drag2sunset Without confusing fluorocarbon line with fluorocarbon leader material, it would be worthwhile taking a look at the low stretch quality and the good prices available these days in buying bulk spools of patented fluorocarbon line. Using fluoro line to fluoro leader would be an excellent way to go and if you look around you'll find you'll be able to buy it at a surprisingly inexpensive price for what it is.

I intend going all fluoro when I re spool my alveys and I intend spooling a Daiwa 600 overhead with fluorocarbon line as well....

Rather than paying so much mony for braid, you could consider the benefit and the merit in buying a bulk spool of say 600 metres of low stretch fluorocarbon line for your TLD25's and just add a length of anti abrasive fluoro leader material from the swivel down. I think going all fluoro would be well worth considering and you could run high stretch 60lb shock leader further up in the water column if you wish... In this case using fluoro leader material itself would be a necessity and, athough fluorocarbon line has good anti abrasives qualities, fluoro carbon leader material is much harder and generally comes in 25m and 50m lengths and would naturally be much more expensive to buy.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-127067395404_thumb.jpg