Advice For Installing A False Floor

redza

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of doing up an old 4m Quintrex, new/2nd hand outboard, canopy/bimini etc. It currently doesn't have a floor but I'm thinking of putting one in. Was just wondering if it is necessary to have a sub-floor frame installed or not. I assume it will be more stable but I'm really trying to keep costs down where possible. Can I just install it resting on the corrugations of the hull with rebates for the ribs, or will this cause problems?

Thanks

Hi Redza,

I would reccommend installing a sub floor if possible. This will increase the strength a ridgity of the floor & allow you to use 12mm ply. Without the subfloor, you will need to use around 15mm ply, which will also increase the weight.

I have recently installed a floor and casting deck in my 4m tinny, & a 6 metre length of 40x40x3mm aluminium angle only cost $60.

Regards

Craig

Thanks

Did you install the frame yourself? If so how? Does it need to be welded into place or can it be fastened (ie screwed/riveted) into the existing hull. As much info as possible would be very much appreciated.

Hi Redza,

I initially rivetted it all together, to help getting all the levels and design right.I started by putting a rivet through the aluminium angle & into the rib of the boat. I did this for 3 pieces running across the boat & then used a few bits of flat aluminium as joining pieces, for the angle running from front to back. Once I was happy with the design I got it welded, although it all felt solid, I don't think the rivets would stand up to the pounding that a tinny gets over time.

I also used standard 12mm ply, which I painted with an oil based undercoat to seal the wood & stop it from bending or rotting. Carpet was the glued on with a contact adhesive.

Hope this helps !

regards

Craig