Shimano Nexave 4000Fa Any Good?

Csaba

I bought an used ugly stick and it came with a Shimano Nexave 4000FA reel. After quick complete take apart, clean and lube it seems ok. But anybody had any experience with these?

If I wanted to sell it, how much should I be asking for it?

Thanks, :15:

I bought an used ugly stick and it came with a Shimano Nexave 4000FA reel. After quick complete take apart, clean and lube it seems ok. But anybody had any experience with these?

If I wanted to sell it, how much should I be asking for it?

Thanks, :15:

mate, it is a entry level reel worth about $100.00 brand new, dont know what type of ugly stick it is and more importantly what condition they are both in. Sorry to say that they are only worth what someone is willing to pay, but as a rough estimate, if the gear is in excellent condition (as new) about 30% less then retail and it falls from their.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one for years and yep its entry level but its not too bad...I think Slinky a caught a few longtail on them and they handled the pressure from memory.....also watched the I-fish guys put one through its paces on some rat kings i think, and it was fine....I'll often use it for trolling divers in the bay for sambo's, tailor, bony's and rat's...can cast metals as far as my mates 4000 stella....

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Yep... I took a 4000FA Nexave to Cape York. It did handle the pressure... sort of. The reel performed very well and caught a lot of very good fish over a week. From about a dozen longtail tuna to about 10kg, 1m+ Queenies, Golden Trevally to about 10kg, small Barra and other creek Ooglies, a host of bottom fish and some fast running Mackerel.

With that said, the reel needed a rebuild after the trip. This trip was the last time I bought a composite body reel... the minute amounts of body flex when composite reels are under a lot of pressure lead to slight misalignment of the internal gearing. At the end of the trip, the Nexave was a little on the rough side.

Would I buy one? Yes... for the right price its a very good reel. For around the $100 mark though I'd probably get a Penn Applause (metal body and better drag, although slightly over the $100 mark). What would I say one is worth second hand... whatever someone will pay for it but in really good nic, I'd say around $40-$50 is fair.

Cheers, Slinky