? Middle Harbour

clem

Hey raiders me again :tease:

I am going to give the harbour a go from Balmoral towards spit and further in.

Will be launching at Tunks Park on Sunday about 6am.

All I would love to do is get a good feed of bream and a tailor or two would be a bonus.

Not even bothering with kingies as I am so use to NOT getting them anymore :(

Please be as helpfull and specific as you can if possible.

My plan off action is to get live bait and have it out under a float while TRYING to get a feed of some sort. :1prop: Will be moving on and not wasting too much time on a spot.

I am off to soccer now and will be checking the sight when I return later tonight.

Cheers and thanks

Clem

Hey raiders me again :tease:

I am going to give the harbour a go from Balmoral towards spit and further in.

Will be launching at Tunks Park on Sunday about 6am.

My plan off action is to get live bait and have it out under a float while TRYING to get a feed of some sort. :1prop: Will be moving on and not wasting too much time on a spot.

I .....will be checking the sight when I return later tonight.

Cheers and thanks

Clem

Clem try something different- grab a couple of small crab trap buoys to use as floats on fixed lines using 80lb braid and have a couple of set lines with three loop paternosta rigs...

On each rig use three of the biggest fresh baits you can get hold of and have a 1/2 lb snapper lead fixed on the very bottom of each rig to keep the line upright...make the three short paternosta loops all even in length on each rig out of say 60lb fluorocarbon leader and use a ball sinker to keep the line straight and the baits below in firm contact with the buoy....use fish and squid

Only monitor the bite situation and leave the lines alone... when a decent size fish hits the buoy will spring back up and sink the hooks in for you... have a lumo bead directly below the ball sinker going to the leader swivel and use the dropper loops for tying a palamar knot over a single 5/0 hook and just force some split lumo beeds over the palamar wraps directly above the bait and glue the split beads together- lumo beads glow if they are primed under torchlight and will also hold a short paternosta loop together nicely as well.

Find some deep water around the moored boats near the Sydney side of the Spit bridge... you'll easily find forty feet to fish in and try deeper too as there's 80 to 100 foot of water in that area ...Drop the buoys out of the back of the boat and raise the snapper lead two, three to four metres off the bottom and leave them there as fixed lines while you fish with the lighter lines. Clem let's see if this catches you a decent size fish or two.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

this probably isnt too helpful but i was near Roseville Bridge today with some prawns and probably only got 5 bites (at once) in two hours. dont know if it was just me but there were quite a few people along the shore not catching anything. I then went to Tunks Park and it was a similar situation there.

I anchored in the next bay east of Balmoral beach (towards the spit bridge) at about 8:30 this morning. I caught 8 fish in the space of an hour using prawns. All were undersized (well, one was 29cm had to be 30cm to be legal), I did think about stretching it to achieve my first legal fish (I've only had my boat for a few weeks), but decided to put it back in. I dropped a line in at a couple of spots on the way back to Roseville bridge, but no other action all day for me. Still, it was a great day out.

Clem try something different- grab a couple of small crab trap buoys to use as floats on fixed lines using 80lb braid and have a couple of set lines with three loop paternosta rigs...

On each rig use three of the biggest fresh baits you can get hold of and have a 1/2 lb snapper lead fixed on the very bottom of each rig to keep the line upright...make the three short paternosta loops all even in length on each rig out of say 60lb fluorocarbon leader and use a ball sinker to keep the line straight and the baits below in firm contact with the buoy....use fish and squid

Only monitor the bite situation and leave the lines alone... when a decent size fish hits the buoy will spring back up and sink the hooks in for you... have a lumo bead directly below the ball sinker going to the leader swivel and use the dropper loops for tying a palamar knot over a single 5/0 hook and just force some split lumo beeds over the palamar wraps directly above the bait and glue the split beads together- lumo beads glow if they are primed under torchlight and will also hold a short paternosta loop together nicely as well.

Find some deep water around the moored boats near the Sydney side of the Spit bridge... you'll easily find forty feet to fish in and try deeper too as there's 80 to 100 foot of water in that area ...Drop the buoys out of the back of the boat and raise the snapper lead two, three to four metres off the bottom and leave them there as fixed lines while you fish with the lighter lines. Clem let's see if this catches you a decent size fish or two.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer

I followed what you are saying until the part where I start monitoring and then it gets a bit complicated.

It might sound a bit silly to you but I guess it is best to be honest as apose to trying to look clever and turn out looking like a bigger fool.

I don't think I am at that level/understanding of fishing yet :(

I think I need to stick to beginner basics if that makes any sense at all.

I will try and put out something under a float with 3 paternoster setups with bait and a sinker to anker it.

Will see how it goes.

There is a slight change of plan with the day.It is now changed to Monday.

Cheers Clem

this probably isnt too helpful but i was near Roseville Bridge today with some prawns and probably only got 5 bites (at once) in two hours. dont know if it was just me but there were quite a few people along the shore not catching anything. I then went to Tunks Park and it was a similar situation there.

Don't worry about it Flatboy.

I have had many a day with this result and feel better when I see no one else catching because then I know it is not me :thumbup:

Cheers Clem

I anchored in the next bay east of Balmoral beach (towards the spit bridge) at about 8:30 this morning. I caught 8 fish in the space of an hour using prawns. All were undersized (well, one was 29cm had to be 30cm to be legal), I did think about stretching it to achieve my first legal fish (I've only had my boat for a few weeks), but decided to put it back in. I dropped a line in at a couple of spots on the way back to Roseville bridge, but no other action all day for me. Still, it was a great day out.

Yes I have done something similar to that but at least I went home with "A" fish. :074: and yes I was out all day as well. :(

Cheers Clem

hrmm i usually have a more productive day on a bad day out in the harbour :/ kings like to take any form of live bait, i launch from tunks n catch live bait at the spit n go out to middle head near the green bouy and chuck the live baits down usually get a king a lot of tailor around there too (the spit can produce bream/kings/flathead/squid as well)

hrmm i usually have a more productive day on a bad day out in the harbour :/ kings like to take any form of live bait, i launch from tunks n catch live bait at the spit n go out to middle head near the green bouy and chuck the live baits down usually get a king a lot of tailor around there too (the spit can produce bream/kings/flathead/squid as well)

I tried at Balmoral warf and at the island and could not get any.They were just not around.

We moved around a lot and only managed 2bream and 2trev's.Some usefull info by the way.

Will give it a go when I manage to land a spot on the boat again.We launched at Tunks as well and did not do to badly with it being our first time.When we returned however it was busy but we just followed what everyone else was doing so we managed not to cause a seen.

Cheers Clem

Now the tailor have started to move into the harbour maybe next trip get a couple of Rapala x raps and troll Dobroyd, middle and north heads. Just troll 2 different depth ones till you work out which is best.

Greg