Safe Eating

Dhutchy

G'day Raiders, I have seen this topic raised before and admit to not taking too much notice as most of my fishing was out of harbour. But I am doing more now and am curious, so my question is.

Where in Sydney Harbour is it safe to eat the fish you catch?

I have heard of some spots like around Homebush are no good - but I don't fish there anyway. So I will be interested in any replies.

Thanks everyone

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

MAybe thats what is wrong with me.....

Could 20 years of eating fish out of there do that to me? :biggrin2:

But then there is the argument, smoking kills but so many still do....

I'd be more to the point of what each fish condition was like and go from there.

Red dots bad, clean look good ;)

Greg

Edited by GregL

Hi Dhutchy, I've been eating fish from the harbour for the last 50 odd years & as far as I know it hasn't hurt me. I used to drag cars at home bush back in the 60's & what I seen dumped there would make your stomach turn. Just because they filled it and built over the swamps doesn't stop the poisons from leaking into the water ways there.

Regards Jeff

Hi Dhutchy, I've been eating fish from the harbour for the last 50 odd years & as far as I know it hasn't hurt me. I used to drag cars at home bush back in the 60's & what I seen dumped there would make your stomach turn. Just because they filled it and built over the swamps doesn't stop the poisons from leaking into the water ways there.

Regards Jeff

Good ole Brickies :P my mum always tells me stories about her days racing her XT Falcon there haha

G'day Dhutchy.

The whole harbour eat fish thing is loosely based around the dioxin contamination thing.

Probably the most important thing to note is that, if my memory serves me correctly:-

1. Prior to the ban Dioxin levels were measured by Aust Standards and set levels.

2. In general fish east of the gladesville bridge were consistently within these requirements and OK to eat.

3. The government then changed the standards to the American, or possibly also a ISO standard.

4. The fish in the harbour were suddenly and miraculously, the day after the implementation of the changes, unfit to eat as they were over the new standards.

All commercial fishing in the harbour then ceased.

It was some suggest just a different form of fishing license buyback but in a highly accelerated form.

My personal opinion is that it was in fact the above.

Do also note I would not personally touch anything west of the gladesville and all fishraiders should be warned to absolutely NOT eat anything from Homebush bay and from ryde bridge westward. They are highly contaminated with dioxins and other nasties.

GregL suggestion is propably a very good one, but do note dioxins are tasteless and its all about Bio-accumulation.

Therefore a good rule of thumb would be moderation and fish in very good condition only.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Hey Trapper Tom, thanks for supplying the information I was seeking. Your post was exactly what I was searching for and fortunately indicates that I haven't, at least not yet anyways :074: , poisoned the inlaws, who I often pass any fish I keep.

Thanks for your response, mate.

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps.

Edited by Dhutchy

Hey Dhutchy

Further note.

If your in-laws glow in the dark now, You do know you are buggered. :1prop::1prop:

Trapper Tom

Hey Trapper, I would suggest the MIL already glows in the dark, but she was doing that well before she met me. No, No she's really terrific, no really. :074: And you're right I am buggered.

Dhutchy

Edited by Dhutchy

Depends on species. I'd stay away from bream for example, which are very slow growing (it takes 15 years for them to reach a mere 30cm, and as they get bigger the growth rate slows drastically) and eat a lot of food in the sediment and take up a lot of dioxins. They also tend to stay in one system for a long time. Continually eating fish like this from far up the Parra will hurt you later in life. It's all about bioaccumulation, once the dioxins are in the fish and then into you, your body does not know how to filter it out. It tries, but that will damage your organs. You won't drop dead, but your liver or kidneys will suffer as they try to filter out the dioxins and other nasties. Personally I would not eat anything that is not highly migratory from west of the Darling Harbour/Greenwich area.

• 1 year later...

We all know that fish will at one time or another travel up and down a water system, lets look at the bream, spends allot of its life around parramatta river then at some stage it will make its way out side the heads , what happens to those fish once they are caught by the pros and brought back to the Sydney fish markets? they are all sold to unsuspecting consumers that havent got a clue , think about it, i personally will eat a nice healthy looking fat silver bream (not a Black bream) or , large flathead, whiting , flounder , or jewfish caught anywhere in the harbour but i will not have more then one or two such meal per month , but thats me.

• 2 weeks later...

mate I dont know about glowing in the dark but ive grown another little toe on my left foot!

im baking an occy in the oven at the moment i got out of milk beach at vaucluse.... have been eating occies out of there for 10 years and im fine ( i thing!! lol )..

The problem is that most fish travel, so does one spot is better than the other is to be debatable. The safe way is to eat moderate and you will be right, many people have eaten out of the harbour for years and they seem to be ok. But i have heard of a case which this bloke was eating jew out of the harbour nearly every day and end up in hospital, then they checked his family members and they were all right but did't eat nowhere near the quantity that dad did. I caught a large jew once from land base at blues point, but gave it away. Hope this helps you out. Cheers cg.

Eating jew every day! :1yikes:

I wouldnt eat chocolate mud cake every day and thats better than stinky jew fillets anyday! Was that bloke for real?

Hope he was ok.

Cheers

Musty

• 2 weeks later...