'boathoist' Rodholder For 4.2 Tinnie Good?

Timmy76

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying one or two rodholder for our 4.2 tinnnie and came across this supposedly good product.

It is a 'Troll Fishing Rod Holder' made by Boathoist.

I like the idea that it is made of powder coated aluminium which bots to the side of tinnie not needing any holes to drill and just use the bolts as clamps.

http://www.boathoist.com.au/boathoist_rod_holders.php#troll

Has anyone got any experience or used this product or what they think of this? Or is there anything better out there worth looking into (no plastic)?

Hope to hear your views or comments on this product that I think seems pretty good.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Edited by Central Coast Timmy

hey tim for the rod holders on the sides they look well made and fairly strong and at the price there cheep

the try rod holder is a bit hard to see how the rod butt sits if it's a slip in fit and is one off those easy to remove one that relys on down wood pressure to hold it in place i would stear clear off it as a good king could bounce your rod out

a good way to check this out is load up a rod in the holder them let it spring up you will see what a mean

cheers gary

They look like a good idea, and would suit most fish that you target.

I will say that if your after some of the bigger kings, they look a little too vertical, much like the ones on my boat, and the reason that i have snapped 3 rods this year.

Just something to consider.

Wrinks

Guest Aussie007
Or is there anything better out there worth looking into (no plastic)?
these days the plastic rod holders are made of strong plastic look at how i had my tinny set up for example we caught up to 75cm kingys using this rod holder using the rod pictured with the drag fully locked many times and time after time it has never broke

i dont like the look of those rod holders in the pictures it looks weak but looks can be deceiving

post-3154-127305447709_thumb.jpg

Gday Gazza.

Ive got to say that i would have my money on the boathoist over your plastic fantastic numbers.

Its a long story, but i have had a king this year pop the rivots on a stainless rod holder. no word of a lie.

There have been some very serious fish this year, and i'm hoping this continues to next year

wrinks

Guest Aussie007
Gday Gazza.

Ive got to say that i would have my money on the boathoist over your plastic fantastic numbers.

Its a long story, but i have had a king this year pop the rivots on a stainless rod holder. no word of a lie.

There have been some very serious fish this year, and i'm hoping this continues to next year

wrinks

proof is in the picture :biggrin2: the first day we had around 12 hook ups landed 6-7 kingys i didnt have my camera 2 days later we caught another 3 kingys this time i took the camera

IMG_9070.jpg

proof is in the picture biggrin2.gif the first day we had around 12 hook ups landed 6-7 kingys i didnt have my camera 2 days later we caught another 3 kingys this time i took the camera

IMG_9070.jpg

yes the proof certainly is in the picture.

I'm refering to big kings, not those little fella's. biggrin2.gif

I guess my best advise is to go with what you think is the best option, looks will often sway you towards the holder of choice.

I have made plenty of mistakes when it comes to rod holders, which is why i'm currently having mine custom built, and they will be welded to the boat. Ugly as, but what i need.

Wrinks

ha ha ha, thanks guys.

Just found out width of gunnel has to be under 30mm for Troll Rod Holder to fit. Bugger, ours is just over 30mm at 35mm approx.

Will have to keep looking around and get more ideas.

Thanks again for your replies!

ha ha ha, thanks guys.

Just found out width of gunnel has to be under 30mm for Troll Rod Holder to fit. Bugger, ours is just over 30mm at 35mm approx.

Will have to keep looking around and get more ideas.

Thanks again for your replies!

Hi Timmy Plastic rod holders should be banned and there should be warnings on the label that they are not suitable for fishing purposes whatsoever and as far as I'm concerned they're not even suitable for display purposes either lol....Having said that in good faith, it might pay you to go and see Gary and get an idea of the price to make up 8 clamp on style rod holders out of the one length of tube similiar to the clamp on rod holder below..If you were to buy a set of 8 in total, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the price...you can buy plastic rod protector inserts that have a press fit lip on the top for peanuts at most boating shops..if you can't find the right size insert for the particular tubing, you can always cut an open seam in the inserts with a stanley knife and then dab on some silicone here and there to hold the inserts in place....then you'll be able to mount 2 rod holders at each side of the stern and have 2 rod holders at each side of the bow area as well ..doing this will not only provide you with extra rod storage but you'll find that getting your rod spread right always makes you more determined to get out there and catch more fish by persevering with casting distances and using a bigger variety of baits means more chances..

Tim, I've also included a photo of low priced easy to make rod lanyiards which would be your next good move, I would say :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-127330867372_thumb.jpg

post-829-127330872804_thumb.jpg

Edited by jewgaffer