Eel-Tailed Catfish?

KeiraJade

Question

Hi All :)

Went out on the weekend to Wiseman's Ferry (lovely spot, felt like i was going back in time a little though!).

I know these are terrible photos but we were curious as to what these little buggers were..

post-13860-127474585042_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Hi All :)

Went out on the weekend to Wiseman's Ferry (lovely spot, felt like i was going back in time a little though!).

I know these are terrible photos but we were curious as to what these little buggers were..

All i know is that there sting is really painfull unfortunently i know from experiance :mad3: but i kept fishing for 3 hours after lol

And they are everywhere in the hawksbury system

Pete

All i know is that there sting is really painfull unfortunently i know from experiance :mad3: but i kept fishing for 3 hours after lol

And they are everywhere in the hawksbury system

Pete

Could not agree more!!

We caught a couple of them and released them pretty much straight away. Unfortunately one of the boys learnt that they sting the hard way!

Between them and the toadfish we just couldn't win on sunday, not a great day out :(

Could not agree more!!

We caught a couple of them and released them pretty much straight away. Unfortunately one of the boys learnt that they sting the hard way!

Between them and the toadfish we just couldn't win on sunday, not a great day out :(

lol they are a pain thats for sure

They dont seem to go for the soft plastics and vibes so i dont get any anymore :biggrin2:

also im pretty sure its not a eel tail catfish i think the eel tails are more of a fresh water species

Pete

Eel-tail catfish is a generic term for all species of catfish that have a rounded (eel-like) tail regardles of whether they live in fresh or salt water.

The species in the pictures is the longtail catfish Euristhmus lepturus, common in northern NSW and southern QLD and very plentiful in the estuarine reaches of the Hawkwsbury River system.

Eel-tail catfish is a generic term for all species of catfish that have a rounded (eel-like) tail regardles of whether they live in fresh or salt water.

The species in the pictures is the longtail catfish Euristhmus lepturus, common in northern NSW and southern QLD and very plentiful in the estuarine reaches of the Hawkwsbury River system.

Thank you very much!