Dan "bubba" Frost

post-10942-127474944449_thumb.jpg

Just thought i'd share some info on how we fished to get our first victory in a bream comp.

Started off by going down twice to prefish ,once with my teammate Mick and the other with JBjew , we had opposite weather on both trips and this was very handy as we had experienced varying conditions . Both trips were successful and gave us confidence with our techniques and decision making .

Comp day -First Spot

We started off 500m from the start of the channel markers at the sussex end of the basin ,

I pushed the boat up into the weedflats until we were in about 1 -2 foot of water ,[ we were rigged up with suspending lures ] after telling my teammate this was a hotspot the night before I was a little nervous......... First cast, I gave it a couple rips then I got smashed on the pause , with the fish tearing off and in only 2 foot of water they go really hard ,after a good tussel I pulled in a thirty plus onto the deck with grin like a Cheshire cat, as Mick and I laughed about great start we could still see boats driving out the main channel , then only 2mins later on Micks 2nd cast he hooked up to another good fish again tearing off through the weed and fighting furiously in the shallow water,and this was 33 to the fork, and still boats were driving out of the channel and heading off to their first spots. You couldn't wipe the smiles off our ugly mugs .We were absolutely stoked and had realy high expectations . But that was it for the flats , it died off and after half an hour without a hit we knew it was time to move .

Mick wanted to blade and I had to agree [ I love shallow water fishing] but as the sun was coming out and it wasn't windy enough for us to continue on the flats , we headed towards the islands on the northern end of the Basin .We started a drift along 10 to 15 foot of water on a weed edge,[this had been a spot we prefished and had some success] , after about 30mins of catching squire , couple good flatties and some hoonker whiting Mick got a hit ... All I heard was a drag suffering in extreme pain and Mick yelling DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN! .. and it just kept going like a bull out of the shute, with 3 or 4 big runs and some coarse lanuage ,the fish slowed down ,finally some head shakes ,he was on 4lb leader and we were hoping it wasn't a snapper , then it came into veiw , what a fish , after some tense moments around the boat waiting for it to tire and keeping it away from the motor I finally got a net shot and there was some cheering jumping and yaaaahoooing . The fish was biggest for the comp and weighed 1.4kg . With our livewell now looking a bit small due to the beast , we continued the drift keeping the boat on the weed edge and every half hour another good fish came in. Mick was on fire with the blade and had caught the last 3 fish so I was really wanting to get an upgrade in the boat but thats not always easy and especially when your smallest is 29cm,Finally a big fish hit me with a vengence and took off, I started to chase it on the minn kota but was to slow getting there and it wrapped me in the weed and swum free , at this time I was making up my own swear words as well as using some trusty old favourites. After running out of depth on the drift we decided to move into a new spot . By this time We knew we had a bloody good bag and the smallest fish was 29cm to the fork. We pulled up onto a point where the wind was blowing onto, kept out wide in about 18foot and started our drift in , after about 10 mins 1 had a cracking hit and called a good bream , the fish gave it everything but with nothing to bust me off on I just waited him out and held on until he tired and carefully brought him up after a couple mins and I had my upgrade, 33 to the fork and now our bag was full of quite respectable fish , and topped off with Micks Monster , the bloody thing was so big it made the others look like midgets .

We had one last crack at the weedbeds on the way in with a bust off on an unknown fish , not sure if it was a bream or not but it was solid .

That was our day on the water , great fun and a win to top off a great days fishing .

Thanks Mick I had a ball fishing with you , as we usually do and all our effort is paying off.

When we started this season we were hoping to finish in the top 20 by the end . Being consistent is more impotant then anything else , more important then a win , but i must say a win does make you feel bloody good , but what makes me really happy is to know that we have worked hard and been consistant , finishing 32nd in the first comp then 3rd in Syd and 11th in lake Mac and 1st in St Georges Basin.

Well hope this info can help you in your fishing , or it may even spur you to get out there and have a crack at a comp .

Cheers

Bubba

P.S Looking foward to the Softplastics and hard bodies clinic next month , hope to meet a heap of you fellow raiders and I will bring down the Skeeter and will take out a couple Raiders for a high speed run and hopefully a few fish.

Edited by Dan BUBBA Frost

Fantastic report Dan, and very generous of you to share so much information! :thumbup: What a superb pair of bream in the photo :1yikes:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Skeeter, as it's as close as I'll ever get to one! :074:

Cheers

Hodgey

.... I will bring down the Skeeter and will take out a couple Raiders for a high speed run and hopefully a few fish.......

Meeee!! Please take meeeeee!! I just love the sound of your shallow flats fishing with suspenders, Dan - and would love to see how you retrieve them! I got one of my fish on Sun on a $5 Hawk suspender that I painted black with a permanent marker ........ and got the 'nearly 33cm' to the fork fish on it. I thought it was a flattie!

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU & MICK ON A TOP DAY'S FISHING!!

WHat a terrific report, too, Dan - I almost feel like I was there with you!! A great read! You've got me all excited!! :biggrin2: ANd not a rack in sight!!!

Well done to both of you & best of luck in your next COmps - you have a couple of FInals coming up, don't you??

Cheerio

Roberta

Looking forward to catching up at the Lure SOcial

Great report bubba :thumbup:

Nice bream in the pic

Congrats on your win Hope you do well in the grand final though it might be tough with it being in august

Will we see you at the Sussex classic in July?

Do you mind sharing which lures did the damage?

Berkley 3inch minnows in watermellon pearl is all you the plastics you will need :thumbup:

Pete

Probably my fave all time plastic.

However I do know that not one of the fish the boys caught was on a plastic.

They used suspending h/bodies & blades.

Cheers,

Grant.

Probably my fave all time plastic.

However I do know that not one of the fish the boys caught was on a plastic.

They used suspending h/bodies & blades.

Cheers,

Grant.

Oh yeah the 3inch berklyes are my favorite too!

For blades down there the eco's are hard to beat just depends on what colour you use :1prop: not too sure on the Hb's never really fished them much

Pete

Oh sorry bubba back on topic...........

Congratulations on taking out the bream tournament Dan & Mick :thumbup: As a matter of interest Dan what did that 1.4kilo bream go on the tape measure mate?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Mate we were too busy Yahooing and giving high fives to measure it , we measure everything normally , mainly to help with upgrading , but it was so big we knew it wouldn't get upgraded , and you know that saying if theres smoke. So we got our lures back in the water ASAP and treid to see if he had any mates in the area . Would guess around the 40 mark , he was pretty fat .

Cut loose

Those watermelon minnows are great [my fav plastic] and I'm sure they would work well down there , BUT , if you are fishing somewhere new you need to fish faster then you do with a plastic so you can cover large areas and find the fish [ If you have ever seen Kevin Van Dam fish the Bassmasters,when fishing flats you would see him fish ultra fast with spinnerbaits to find them, then work the school over with plasics], I would start on the weedbeds and points early in the morning with shallow diving suspending lures , [mix up your retreive each cast opposite ,fast then slow ] until you hit the fish and work the area slower , then you can throw your plastics around these spots . When the sun gets up move into the deeper water and blade .

Important

When there is no wind get off the flats go into deeper water min 10 foot , when the wind is strong and you can't see into the water , move onto the flats as the bream will feel a lot more comfortable to feed in the shallows . Not everyone probably agrees with this but from my experience it is extremely important , and it's a good way to start .The most important thing to me is spooking the fish when your on the flats , keep the noise down and cast with the wind to get maximum distance. Use all the suspending lures you have and find yourself a favourite.

The blokes who came second in the comp fished holes in the weed with plastics , this is also a great way to catch fish , but you need to find the holes and areas where the fish are so find them while your fishing your hardbodys .

Jackal chubby's work well , the floaters if you keep a constant slow retreive and don't let em float up .

I don't want to give away which lure is my fave as I have spent hundreds and hundres trying all different types to finally be shown one that is perfect for me and I think gives me an advantage. The colour does make a differnce I find as well , so if you buy someting that is not working paint it or put some metho on it and make it clear if possible. Once you have done a million casts in the shallows im sure you will find a handful that best suit your technique , your outfit and match the baitfish profile in the area your fishing.

This info

Im not saying this is the best way to catch fish , but it is the way I fish and has worked well for me , plenty of people have their own methods and this is just the methods that I find suits me. Fish will be caught in every tornament in a variety of ways , and thats part of the challenge , but if you start with some of these methods you will surely catch some fish and work out what methods you enjoy most and find more successful for you .

Good Luck Mate

Bubba

Dan,

Congrats on the win and for sharing your strategies! Inspiring! And all on HBs too. Might see you at the social if I can get myself organised enough ...

pmak

Talked to dad and were going to go down there for a few days soon, Gonna get some lures ready :) Anything you would recommended mate?

Iggy is the one to ask, he is a genius on fishing the basin. Being a local probably helps! LOL