What Type Of Line For Rock/surf Fishing?

Csaba

I have a Okuma 9000 baitrunner that I was planning on using to fish from the rocks and beach. It's on a 12ft Ugly stick. Just wondering what type of line is most suitable for my type of fishing?

I have lots of braid fishing line, so what strength should I load it up with? (Highest I have is 50lb). And then of course I would some type of a leader. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

What fish are you targeting? What weight/strength is the rod? Will you primarily be rock fishing or beach fishing?

Targeting: Not really any fish specifically, probably do spinning, using sinkers & pilchards, live bait...an all around general fishing.

Rod Strength: 5-10kg

Both: Mostly rock fishing, but might use it occasionally from the beach.

Targeting: Not really any fish specifically, probably do spinning, using sinkers & pilchards, live bait...an all around general fishing.

Rod Strength: 5-10kg

Both: Mostly rock fishing, but might use it occasionally from the beach.

That is like what I have been doing and I use 15lb monofilament as main line and 12lb fluorocarbon leader for rock fishing.

For surf fishing I can use the same line or instead of monofilament I can use braid at the same strength.

I use 4000 type reel only as the bigger the reel will be the heavier

Andy

Well for rock fishing you might want to go a bit heavier to give you some extra protection against abrasion. I'd suggest go for the 20lb and that should be plenty on the rod you have. Make sure the spool is full and if possible try and keep the line all in one piece with no joins. If you can't fill the spool with the amount of 20lb you have then top shot it over some mono, but make sure that you have about 150-200 metres of braid with no joins. That will give you the best possible strength for the line that's likely to get the most use...

Another thing that's worth noting, I don't know about the reel you have but some reels don't lay the braid well and end up with loops all the time. The trick is to remove the spacer washers just under the spool (if your reel has them that is) so that the line loads more towards the front of the spool. When you do it you'll hardly notice the difference visually, but you should get way less tangles.

As for the leader, go as light as you can. Spinning for salmon and tailor off the rocks, 20lb should be enough. If you're trying for kings, go heavier, bream go lighter. Basically just experiment with it and you should find something that works.

Cheers!

Edited by abecedarian

• 2 weeks later...

i use pe4 when going for kings off the rocks, pe2 for bonito/salmon

probably more about leader strength/size though, not sure the strength/size of the braid makes much difference when it's rubbing on oysters

i go, 3m of 60-100lb mono leader for my heavy kit and 3m of 14-40lb leader for my light kit