Diy Beef Jerky

Gorms

Gday everyone,

For those who like to chew on something whilst waiting for the rod to go off, heres how i make my beef jerky.

Instead of paying $4+ for 25grams, i buy 4 top side steaks, and end up with about 2 chinese containers worth, for under $20.

All you do is marinate your thinly cut strips in a sauce of your choice for 12 hours, and then place them in a meat dehydrator for 7-8 hours to cook. I bought a unit with a about 6 trays so i rotate the trays after 4 hours to make sure they are all evenly cooked with the dry heat.

I use a marinade like soy sauce,worcestershire sauce, honey, tabasco, salt and pepper and add liquid smoke to my mix to give it that hickory/smokey taste. You can try any mix you want really.

I cant tell you how long it keeps for, cause its normally gone the day its cooked but its worth the time.

Cheers

Gorms

post-8018-127523096751_thumb.jpg

post-8018-127523098449_thumb.jpg

post-8018-127523099836_thumb.jpg

Hi Gorms

There are a few FRs who enjoy their jerky/biltong!!

I have a dehydrator as well & whereas normally I would hang the biltong to dry in front of a slight breeze/fan ....... my last lot was done in the dehydrator & turned out really well! I then vacuum pack most of it in 'usable' quantities & freeze them as well to prevent it going off.

I'll have to do another lot!! I use crushed coriander seeds as my main flavour! YUM!~

Cheers

Roberta