Tld25 Good Enough To Chase Yellowfin Tuna?

hi all,

going out soon for the very time to browns (been dieing to go for years!!)

was wandering and searching for the the type of gear to use out there

currently have a 15kilo powerpenn rod with a tld25, spooled with 50 lb braid, with 1oolb + wind on leader

since going to be my first trip, would this handle a yellowfin (and yes if i did manage to get a decent one, well i would have to pray!!)

want to upgarde to soon to better and stronger gear soon, but just want to give it a go first to learn the ropes so to speak

anyones thoughts on this?

thnaks

Top reel mate they will handle a nice tuna. The rod you might have to change. 15 KG is 30lb and i think that would be light line for the TLD and a nice tuna at that. Go 15-24kg rod and put 50 lb line on :)

Get rid of the braid ( Or put it on anothe reel ) and get mono.

Braid has no stretch, And when you hook a nice tuna you'll want that stretch mono offers. Otherwise 70 % of the time you'll just pull the hooks out of the fish's mouth.

Edited by cut_loose

Mono would be a better choice, but I would stick to 30lb or 15 kg. Firstly the TLD 25 will hold very little 50lb mono and secondly being a graphite reel there is a strength issue. I have heard of reel frames breaking on these reels when fished with heavy line. Also the frame can distort and the gears being damaged due to misalignment.

thanks guys for your replies

your suggestions are valid for what i want to do

looking around for a better combo that will handle these fish

will still use the tld as it is, but with soem adjustments like a 24kg rod and change of line

thanks

thanks guys for your replies

your suggestions are valid for what i want to do

looking around for a better combo that will handle these fish

will still use the tld as it is, but with soem adjustments like a 24kg rod and change of line

thanks

If you go for 15kg line (advisable) there is no need to change the rod.

I have put 15kg line on my new TLD 25 as well. Brand new rod (Wilson 15-24kg Aussie Built) and reel and haven't been able to use it. Where abouts are you thinking of fishing if you don't mind me asking. With all this horrible weather I don't know when I will be able to hit the stones again. I am hoping to catch Tuna and Big King's as well. Whenever you do get out. Let me know how you went

going to try browns for the first time

either going with someone with experience or tagging along in my own boat....that will be fun..boat is 5.7m Quinnie

been trying to get out there for a while, finally met someone that can show me the place

the weather is reall disappointing at the moment, but will wait till the right time ... hopefully soon

i alays wonderd if 30lb/15 kg line will be right to use, just seems to light for me..thats why i went to 50lb braid, but with wind on leader

read alot on 15kg main line, i suppose the wind on leaders play an important part for extra strength

going to try browns for the first time

either going with someone with experience or tagging along in my own boat....that will be fun..boat is 5.7m Quinnie

been trying to get out there for a while, finally met someone that can show me the place

the weather is reall disappointing at the moment, but will wait till the right time ... hopefully soon

i alays wonderd if 30lb/15 kg line will be right to use, just seems to light for me..thats why i went to 50lb braid, but with wind on leader

read alot on 15kg main line, i suppose the wind on leaders play an important part for extra strength

15kg will handle the average fish with no problem. It's a bit light for the jumbos over 50kg, but they don't turn up too often these days. As I said the TLD 25 is not up to fishing 24kg line and your far better off fishing with the line it's suited to.

PS: good luck with the weather if your going to Browns in a 5.7m tinnie!

thanks for info

yeah...will a be very interesting trip out to browns

hence teaming up with someone who has goes out regularly, and if issues arise, can always go in his boat that is much larger than mine

but, i have been told smaller boats than my one have gone there...the guy i know was originally going out in 5.2m quinnie!!..that shocked me :1yikes:

but as always, the weather is the key issue...i will never put my crew or myself in a stiuation that is not safe!!

all the replies so far have been helpful in deciding what i need to do

been out wide for many years but never really passed the peak..so this will be hightlight!!

thanks for info

yeah...will a be very interesting trip out to browns

hence teaming up with someone who has goes out regularly, and if issues arise, can always go in his boat that is much larger than mine

but, i have been told smaller boats than my one have gone there...the guy i know was originally going out in 5.2m quinnie!!..that shocked me :1yikes:

but as always, the weather is the key issue...i will never put my crew or myself in a stiuation that is not safe!!

all the replies so far have been helpful in deciding what i need to do

been out wide for many years but never really passed the peak..so this will be hightlight!!

Last time i went fishing Browns was in april and we landed 3 nice fin between 35 and 40kgs trolling. I would recommend using mono instead of braid for most applications out there ( except bottom bashing! ), if you have a double or more hookup mono wont bust off if it rubs against other mono but braid will shear through anything! We run moslty 24kg mono on Penn Internationals 50W and okuma gold 50W's but have a few TLD25's spooled with 15kg which are yet to catch anything decent. Money permitting just get a decent 50W reel matched with a good rollered rod and if you look after it you will get year out of it! My Okuma titus gold is matched to a shimano backbone elite rollered 24kg and its a good budget outfit that has handled everything so far! Its well worth the money invested. There would be nothing worse than hooking a nice fish on 15kg and getting spooled! Heart-breaking stuff! Good luck!

Mate you will fit 600 meters of mono on a TLD25 which is plenty, have caught heaps of fin to 40kg with out dramas and a few marlin on those reels to boot. Fill them with mono and you will be right.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

Mate you will fit 600 meters of mono on a TLD25 which is plenty, have caught heaps of fin to 40kg with out dramas and a few marlin on those reels to boot. Fill them with mono and you will be right.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

That's 600m of 15kg mono of standard thickness (ie 0.50 mm).

First things first mate, be bloody careful going out to Browns in a 5.7m tinnie, the weather can change within 10mins out there. Your 25TLD will handle most of the fin your going to catch out there, but I would keep your 50lb braid and topshot with 100m of mono to your leader. 15kg rod is perfect for Yellowfin unless your chasing the big mama's. Are you cubing or trolling, makes a big difference to your rig?

Cheers, Tobe

thanks for the reply

going out to browns will be ane eye opener in my boat, but will keep an eye out on any changes, hence more leading towards going with a mate with a bigger boat!

but i am still amazed to hear those stories of small boat going out....is it worth the risk?...answer for me is i dont think so...if using mu boat, at least going out with a group of boats!!

all the replies have been great...i really love this web site

i like your reply tobinator.....add another 100 m of 15k line then the wind on leader

this will be a start, once i can prove to the missus i am spooled or loosing fish...then here i go shopping!!!!!

this will be the start, once i get an idea on how to fish the brutes properly, then will invest in some neat gear..but first got to get at least one small to show the family its worth it!!

First things first mate, be bloody careful going out to Browns in a 5.7m tinnie, the weather can change within 10mins out there. Your 25TLD will handle most of the fin your going to catch out there, but I would keep your 50lb braid and topshot with 100m of mono to your leader. 15kg rod is perfect for Yellowfin unless your chasing the big mama's. Are you cubing or trolling, makes a big difference to your rig?

Cheers, Tobe