Rainbow Runner?

Buster and co

Question

Hi guys,

One for the collective brains trust here. And without the benefit of a picture as well. Stopped off at Roseville boat ramp to have a look around and see what was being caught. Some keen kids on the pontoon had done a great job of filling their esky with yakkas. One of the kids told me he had sent one back in as a livey and hooked up on a kingy, but that the kingey had busted him off when he jumped from the water. He told me it had a very green back. I said it didn't sound like a kingey, maybe more like a salmon to dance around like that. Shortly after, walking along the shore a very fast, elongate fish about 50cm long with a bright blue green back went hurtling past just under the surface. I have seen the same species a couple of months back while fishing a dropoff in Cowan creek, again up close and that time jumping clear of the surface. The only fish I can match it to in the books is rainbow runner, but according to the habitat description this is neither the location or time of year they should be around. Has anyone else encountered a similar fish or have any other suggestions as to what they may be?

Cheers,

Rick

5 answers to this question

friggate macks look a terrific greeny blue colour underwater and slice about half out of the water sometimes jumping clean out. you see alot around wharves etc..

i think i have seen the ones you mean and i am sure they are as said about. never stop moving really, super fast.