A Learning Experience For Spoz

tide'n'knots

Gday raiders, I had the pleasure of taking spoz (simon) under my wing today to try and teach him some basics about fishing and hopefully put him onto some fish and I couldnt have picked a better day for it.

I decided to take him to my old stomping grounds at wisemans ferry as I felt that I had the best chance of putting him onto some fish if I had the home ground advantage, - and the river was firing bigtime!

We only landed 10 keepers between us but we released 30 combined jew and flathead for a combined total of forty fish!

Simon is only in the very early stages of learning how and what to do but is a very keen fisherman with a massive passion to soak up any info that comes his way and in no time he was hooking fish and releasing them like he had been doing it his whole life. He managed to hook and land a pb 50cm flathead, and several jew, a species until today that he had never caught before, unfortunately he couldnt crack it for a legal size jew but he did go very close at one stage with a nice 43cm specimen!

I managed 2 jew of 50cm and had a screaming run that pulled so hard I momentarily struggled to release the rod from the rod holder and unfortunately it dropped the bait before I could set the hook.

All up we bagged 2 jew and 8 nice size flathead in a fun packed, action filled day with great wheather and good company and couldnt have asked for better conditions for simon to learn in!

thanks simon for your company you are a real gentleman and it was a pleasure having you on board,and I am sure you will only improve your catch rate as time passes now that you have a little bit more of an idea.

cheers pete.

post-8689-127537657593_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537659312_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537661684_thumb.jpg

this one looked as though it had been caught in a gill net at some stage

post-8689-127537663453_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537665201_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537679874_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537670054_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537819443_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127537675842_thumb.jpg

Edited by tide'n'knots

Hi Pete & Spoz! Well done on a busy fishing session!! You were fishing with the WIseman's WIzard Spoz - so in excellent company!! If anyone can get you onto fish there ...... it'll be Pete!!!

Shame the biggie got off, but you saw how it happened & I bet you will be emulating it soon!!

CHeeiio - looks like a cool day on the water!!

Roberta

Hi Pete & Spoz! Well done on a busy fishing session!! You were fishing with the WIseman's WIzard Spoz - so in excellent company!! If anyone can get you onto fish there ...... it'll be Pete!!!

Shame the biggie got off, but you saw how it happened & I bet you will be emulating it soon!!

CHeeiio - looks like a cool day on the water!!

Roberta

gday roberta -I hope simon doesnt emulate the biggie getting off! I dont want to be remembered for teaching him that! :074:

It was a magic day on the water and I was so glad that the fish co-operated, simon had a blast.

pete

Nice haul Pete, Ive had a couple fishing sessions at wisemans on the wombats caravan park wharf, it really is a great spot there, that night three years ago my brother pulled in a nice Jewie about 75cm

Nicely done, Pete. What a terrific outing for Simon. A variety of fish for the table, and a wealth of knowlege as a captive audience. Nothing beats 'hands on' mentoring :yahoo: Congrats on yet another successful session mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Hi Pete,

Good onya mate for doing that for simon. He must have had a great time seeing jew come up.

Where are the bigger models mate??? I fished MH the other night for rays and eels.

Cheers

Gday FR,

It was a ball to go out with Pete yesterday. . .i think i've read a ton of articles/books/forum posts - and even youtube - but it doesnt really make any 'sense' until someone shows you how everything fits together on the water! Like with any sport, you can only tell someone so much about how to kick a ball, swing a racquet or how to move. . .u just to see it and do it yourself "on the field". As we got to wisemans Pete said, "I feel likes it's gonna be a good day". . .he proved to be quite the prophet as well as fisherman ;)

Sure, it started off a little slow - but after that it was all like running downhill and after taking photos of all our catches Pete decided we'd stop and only take photos of the legal ones. . .which was a good idea cos i think even the digital camera would have run out of film :P

It was huge lesson from hitting the water and fishing, to cleaning the catches (and having a peak at what they were eating!) all the way to parting company when i was still asking questions and he was more than happy to share his wisdom! Tho i still have a long, long way to go, it's definitely worth aspiring towards and only helped me to appreciate fishing even more ;) For Pete, you can see his passion for fishing is more than just fish, rods and lines but a lifes-narrative of stories and people!

He clearly has a high respect for FR and an equally high respect for many of the people here who he has received from and given to. . .he's a valuable asset to this community with a gold-mine of knowledge to pass on. . some day down the track hopefully i'll be able to repay the favour to someone else ;)

Pete - hope you finally got some well-deserved rest ;)

Good on you Simon,

you could not have gone out with a better teacher!!!

Once I get my Boat sorted out I hope to take a few people out aswell

I too got the oppourtunity to fish with Pete who shared his Knowledge and his catch!!!!

:biggrin2:

Regards,

Nathan

Gday FR,

It was a ball to go out with Pete yesterday. . .i think i've read a ton of articles/books/forum posts - and even youtube - but it doesnt really make any 'sense' until someone shows you how everything fits together on the water! Like with any sport, you can only tell someone so much about how to kick a ball, swing a racquet or how to move. . .u just to see it and do it yourself "on the field". As we got to wisemans Pete said, "I feel likes it's gonna be a good day". . .he proved to be quite the prophet as well as fisherman ;)

Sure, it started off a little slow - but after that it was all like running downhill and after taking photos of all our catches Pete decided we'd stop and only take photos of the legal ones. . .which was a good idea cos i think even the digital camera would have run out of film :P

It was huge lesson from hitting the water and fishing, to cleaning the catches (and having a peak at what they were eating!) all the way to parting company when i was still asking questions and he was more than happy to share his wisdom! Tho i still have a long, long way to go, it's definitely worth aspiring towards and only helped me to appreciate fishing even more ;) For Pete, you can see his passion for fishing is more than just fish, rods and lines but a lifes-narrative of stories and people!

He clearly has a high respect for FR and an equally high respect for many of the people here who he has received from and given to. . .he's a valuable asset to this community with a gold-mine of knowledge to pass on. . some day down the track hopefully i'll be able to repay the favour to someone else ;)

Pete - hope you finally got some well-deserved rest ;)

thanks simon for your very kind words - you are more than welcome my friend as I said earlier it was an absolute pleasure having you on board with me you were great company and a fairly quick learner! the main thing is that you enjoyed yourself and learned a few things.I bet your wife was happy and surprised with all the flathead fillets you took home to her!

p.s. thankyou very much for the yummy baileys chocolates, they will go down a treat with a hot coffee!

p.s.s I slept like a log!

pete

Edited by tide'n'knots

Hi Pete,

Good onya mate for doing that for simon. He must have had a great time seeing jew come up.

Where are the bigger models mate??? I fished MH the other night for rays and eels.

Cheers

I did miss a good one yesterday it bent the rod over almost to the water and screamed off and was pulling so hard that it jammed the butt in the rod holder and it took a few seconds to get it out, and by the time i did, it dropped the bait before I could set the hook.

I think its time you fished my harbour spot mike! we should arrange something soon.

pete.