More Fish At Avoca

Ray R

Hi Raiders, just a quick report today at Avoca. Met up with Pete (mercer 007) for a fish hoping for some more nice trevs.

The arvo conditions were nice, swell was down and the wind was kindly blowing softly from the south.

Pete had a few enquiries on his baits so I hoiked the big rig out and we sat and chatted waiting for a strike.

Well before too long my rig goes off and line is peeling off, this thing is going straight to Terrigal, I manage to turn it around and get some line back and after a few minutes I have a big eagle ray on the rocks, the hooks removed and he is sent back on his merry way, what a fight too although not a classic big eating type fish they still give you a real buzz as these things really go.

So a quick check of my rig sees a rather odd shaped hook, looked okay although it now has an interesting twist to it, anyway on with some more squid and she goes.

I the mean time Pete locks on to a big salmon, this thing does its best acrobatic display as we could see Pete's fish 50meteres out but alas this fella frees himself but it was fun watching Pete dancing around the rocks.

I get another enquirey, just a gentle tap and then a nice run and up comes a Tarwhine, this one will be kept for Karen.

Anyway as we are chatting the wind picks up to gale force and this makes things a bit difficult although the fish are still there, I get a good strike and pull in a small Kingfish, kind of knew he wasn't big enough but I still grabbed a pic of him before we sent him back, this little fella had an old hook in his side, we removed it and sent him on his merry way.

By now the conditions are horrendous and our rigs are getting washed onto the kelp beds, I hooked onto another fish and from what I could see it was either a salmon or another king, the fish rubbed me off on the close ledge just before landing.

So that is it for now, it started off good and it was good to catch up with Pete again and catch a few fish, I don't like the look of the weatherfor a weekend fish, the swell is building and it could be ugly around there for the next few days..

post-3371-127555144289_thumb.jpg

post-3371-127555150827_thumb.jpg

post-3371-127555153335_thumb.jpg

post-3371-127555156566_thumb.jpg

post-3371-127555158969_thumb.jpg

your right about the next few days .swell going to swing to ENE till sunday night ,not much over 3 foot but is the swell that dose the most damage to rock fishos on the coast ,looks like its pigs and bream this weekend in the potholes ,

Good on you guys getting out there having a go!!!

Karen must be happy last week it was a nice reddie now a tarwhine!!! great table fish.

just out of interest did you get the tarwhine on squid also?? because I have found that all my larger bream have been caught on squid. I am now taking a liking to beach worms for bream but have not tried using squid for a while I guess if they are on the chew they will take most baits...

Keep up the good work guys,

Regards,

Nathan

That was a great report mate, especially for the novice rock fishos. Constant reference to monitoring the conditions, fishing with a buddy, and calling it quits when the conditions require. :thumbup: Another beaut fish for Karen, and some quality time spent on the stones with Pete. All in all, a good day on the water.

Cheers

Hodgey

Sounds like a good session for you and Pete.

I've never caught an eagle ray, but they sound like a lot of fun. Where's the photo of the ray, Ray? (I love saying that)

Thumper tarwhine too. :thumbup: However, that close-up photo of the tarwhine is freaking me out! The eyes are following me around the room! Geez it's an ugly bugger! :yahoo:

Terrific report guys. Fantastic photos too, although more shots would be great.

Cheers

Peter

Can't say it was a good day to be out cause it wasn't.

But good to be fishing, and to catch up with Ray.

Leo, The only thing stopping me fishing is work, oh, hang on, I'm the Boss.

Haha very true Pete, can't wait to get these damn stitches out so I can go for a fish, killin me sittin at home, spending to much on buying umm fishing goods hehe.

Cheers,

Leo