Sydney Harbour.

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool
Also had a call from Kingcool a short while ago. He is a happy man this morning out on the Harbour :074: . Report to follow I expect.

44196[/snapback]

Drum roll please.......AND HERE IT IS!!!! :074:

Hit the Rose Bay ramp at few to 5 AM, and Mark D and I prepped the boat and took of forthwith.

Originally I planned to head straight over to Balmoral for livies, but canned that idea after nearly running down a yacht with no lights! Decided to wait at Clifton for a bit of light before continuing. Interesting start to the morning.

Balmoral saw us load up with Yakkas and a no squid sighted so we didnt waste any effort in trying to get some. Hung around at Balmoral as the tide peeked, then made our way to my normal hangout! :1naughty:

The plan was simple...I like simple.... Find the drop offs, and hang livies till they get hit! It was a beautiful morning for it, with barely a breath of wind, warming sun, 21.8C water, and a gentle run out current with a nice easy swell. PERFECT!

I weaved my way through the parking lot...and began our drift heading East. The perfect combination of tide and current kept us along the drop of most of the drift. Too easy. The water depth was wavering between 10 and 12M, and I knew to the North was a rise of 4 meteres or so, and to the South of me was a drop to 24, so it was working good!

Two livies, one deep, one higher up in the column, and a third rod had some imported squid. Didnt really like the idea of imported squid, but I'm glad I tried it. Thats the one that started screaming! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

post-4-1114249156_thumb.jpg

Set the hook, and then with the rod firmly planted in my nether regions, I hooked in. Gave it no quarter. I knew I had to keep of the bottom as reefy outgrops abound around that area. I tried the old "back of em" trick again, just to make sure that it actually works....and it did. It stopped him from reaching the bottom.

Mark, God love him, was already prepared with net, but I told him its too green and we would do better with a camera, then the Gaff! This one was defenitely a keeper!

post-4-1114249431_thumb.jpg

This went on for a few minutes, as I didnt want to put too much hurt on him for fear of losing him.Finally got him to the boat. A quick photo op...and it was a quick slit to the throat.

gallery_4_10_1114412061.jpg

This is now my new PB of 74 CM! Next target....90 CM! :yahoo:

Went pretty quite after that with Mark having a screaming run.....on a flower pot! :wacko: And that was all she wrote as far as Kings go.

Headed back in to around Sow and Pigs and the Wedding Cake for a try at some thumper bream that I have seen pulled recently, only to have Mark get smoked convincingly in some pylons. A few half hearted flicks around some boats and jetties in Rose Bay for some bream, then of to the ramp for this happy camper!

Mark...Thanks for the great company. Look forward to doing it again soon. Next one is yours mate!

P.S....Tasted awesome.

Edited by Jocool

Jo,

you are nailing those Kings! :1clap:

seems like only a number of weeks ago you were writing about losing your virginity with kings! :tease:

Being a bit of a harbour dweller I have to ask, is that just inside North Head where the photo was taken? If so I was only 500m from you today.

Cheers champ, keep up the great Kingy work!

Pete

Guest Jocool
Being a bit of a harbour dweller I have to ask, is that just inside North Head where the photo was taken? If so I was only 500m from you today.

44292[/snapback]

Thats the spot Pete. Started my drift at the bouy at Quarantine head. You can see it in the background of the first picture.

As far as being there yesterday, all the boats were just parked on the bouy. Thats a good idea if the fish are biting, but I didn't see anyone raise a fish there.

Looks like I may have to come to Sydney for a weekend and see if I can bludge a ride in a kingie boat.  Love to tie into one again as I haven't seen  one for years (Damn traps)

44297[/snapback]

I don't know about being a Kingi boat.....but your more than welcome Pop.

The traps haven't been around for 4 years, and it is showing in that the Kings are being caught. Have you seen the letter Iain is preparing to help stop the traps coming back?

This again, just goes to show how important Kingies are as a rec species. I'm only a gumby at catching them. If I can do it...anyone can! :1prop:

Nice one, Joe.

All I can say is thank heavens for the cooler weather - at least you kept your shirt on in this "big fish" pic!

Sounds like you had a great time and an epic battle. Keep it up, mate - that real hoodlum can't be far off...

Well done Joe, there no stopping you now, it seem once you know where to look, they will come.

They are some nice action shots there Joe. Smiles all round.

I gave it another go yesterday in the hope of getting my son his first. We used burly and again within half hour they showed up. Result Matthew got his first Pittwater Kingfish. Not as big as yours but 15 minutes later a respectable 68cm on 4kg.

Congratulations on your PB

Cheers