Mothers Natures Birthday Present

iMick

Hello all,

Had plans today to get up first thing and hit the Hawkesbury in search of big winter bream. Wasn't off to a good start, oversleeping and missing the alarm, fortunately the misses saved the day and woke me and I was on my way.

I was on the water about 8ish and the weather was great, no wind and not a cloud in sight, there really is something very special about a weekday solo session on the Hawkesbury.

Long story short, a hot to trot 78cm (3.5kg) jew took off with my 2 inch minnow. With 6lb line and 5lb leader with a 1-3kg rod, a leccy chase was in order, fortunately it took off straight for the channel. Until getting colour, I had no idea what I had hooked, I was thinking 50cm + EP or energetic flathead. I hooked up in about 3-4 foot of water.

Plenty of Bream around today, nothing huge but heaps around the 30cm mark.

post-10586-127684297658_thumb.jpg

Edited by iMick

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up and the birthday wishes. Jew cutlets tasted great, fed everyone with plenty handed out to extended family. I'll never overlook the dead low in the shallows again.

Cheers.

Edited by iMick

nice jewie mate,i could just imagine how hard he would off went on the light gear,but thats what makes it so fun when u land him :thumbup:

Thanks mate.... this thing had some legs, not only did he shoot off for a 40 metre run, he stayed down deep and really hugged the bottom. For a while I didn't think I'd be able to bring him up, luckily the leader was positioned in one of the softest parts of it's mouth, 2 miss netting attempts later he was in the boat. Felt great landing him, made my birthday!

Great catch mate! thats one thing i have not been able to do is work out the hawkesbury with lures and you seem to know it fairley well :biggrin2:

And them 30cm bream you were catchin would of made a nice bag today in the southern bream series round thats for sure

Pete

Great catch mate! thats one thing i have not been able to do is work out the hawkesbury with lures and you seem to know it fairley well :biggrin2:

And them 30cm bream you were catchin would of made a nice bag today in the southern bream series round thats for sure

Pete

It felt like every third cast I had a Bream on, many tiddlers but some comp worthy. Some people hate the system, and yes I find it hard work sometimes but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve there. I do like the fact you don't have the clarity like you do in MH, so it's great for Bream, Flathead and Jew!

lovely jew mate :thumbup:

Thanks mate.... boy that's a cracker Bream in your avatar. Looks 40cm plus.

Nice work getting hold of a fair sized jew on the light gear Mick :thumbup: I can see a new style of fishing coming up where a couple of lures can be worked under the jew rods every time you fish in places to suit the bi catch :1yikes::biggrin2: a sporty rod's the go but better to use lures to suit running 50lb braid and heavier jig heads wherever the Hawkesbury current is involved....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Nice work getting hold of a fair sized jew on the light gear Mick :thumbup: I can see a new style of fishing coming up where a couple of lures can be worked under the jew rods every time you fish in places to suit the bi catch :1yikes::biggrin2: a sporty rod's the go but better to use lures to suit running 50lb braid and heavier jig heads wherever the Hawkesbury current is involved....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I do have a new Cod outfit, that has 30lb braid on a Twinpower 5000 with a rod to match, and I reckon I'll stop a monster Jew with it. It does flick around an ounce quite nicely and is tops for trawling large HB's. If you're gonna soak baits in the middle of the channel (as I grew up doing) when the tides are big you're gonna need some good lead. These days most of the time I'm fishing a strong eddy, so usually I can keep the weight down and blades sink pretty fast too, so I'm stickin to the light gear.

Mick