My Repairs And Modifications

Yarraone

After my recent trip to the Hawksberry and Botany I had a few repairs to do....

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=49145&st=0&p=361132&fromsearch=1entry361132

Well i have had a bit of luck with the repairs, and it seems it may not be as bad as first thought..The starter problem was the solidnoide, and i have managed to purchase 2 for $60 brand new..I also managed to get a new winch with 2ton strap for $50 new.. So things are looking up.. I will do most if not all of the work myself.. :thumbup:

So I have a couple of questions if any one can help..

1. Are the winches with the strap better than the cable? What are your thoughts?

Then i am going to put in some boat carpet and a new Bimini cover.. Mount my gas stove at the front of the boat out of the way and all should be good

2. I am thinking of moving the frul tank to the front of the boat?

Does anyone have the tank in the front of thier boat?

I have added a couple of photo's...

This is the back, and I am hoping i can use some of this space

post-6381-127693014551_thumb.jpg

This is the front with the tank in position.. It is a 80L tank so i will have to fix it in this position.. And I will run a filler hose up through the front of the boat..

post-6381-127693016014_thumb.jpg

Do you think this is a good idea?? As this area never realy gets used when I am fishing.. :1fishing1:

Edited by yarraone

I'd be very cautious about putting your gas stove anywhere near the fuel tank. Petrol vapours are highly explosive !!

Ross

Yep good point..what about the tank ? will it cause any problems being at the front?

Hi Yarraone

I cant beleive the bad run you recently had but looking good now that you got the parts at the right price.

As for your question about winch straps probably more personal preference then 1 being better then the other, although the strap will not twist up like a cable when its not being streched out also the strap wont bite you like the cable does with a bit of wear. Keep in mind the straps are not realy UV proof, I have noticed mine after 2 years sitting outside the strap is fading and Im guessing its getting weaker.

I agree with flightmanager on fuel and stove in the same area.

Fuel tank up front? there must be a reason there not all up front, my first thought would be the shaking causing fuel to splash out the breather. also puting the tank in a confined space right infront of you (hope you dont have smokers on board). also think of the priming of the fuel to the motor (this can be prevented by disconecting the fuel line from the motor strait after use so that air cant get in the fuel line.

I Will be watching to see what you decide and how it all shapes up.

Brett

I'm with Brett on the winch straps - changed over mine when my cable broke and have not looked back, you just need to make sure they lay straight when you winch it up to stop fraying on the edges. As far as fuel up front goes you may have a problem pumping the fuel from the front to the motor. Maybe PM Huey from Huett Marine as he will know best - me i prefer to keep more weight down the back.

Good Luck

Jono

i'd say keep the fuel at the back due to the fuel splashing around & the fuel comeing out of the breather & into the boat. the strap is by far the better option i rekon personaly.

cheers john

Sean,

The reason most fuel tanks are down the back of the boat is that they dont get banged around as much as the pointy end and tend to be more stable when at rest or on the plane.

Stand on the bow whilst under way and then go down the back and see what is the better ride,same goes for batteries.

Cheers Stewy

i'd say keep the fuel at the back due to the fuel splashing around & the fuel comeing out of the breather & into the boat. the strap is by far the better option i rekon personaly.

cheers john

As far as splashing fuel out of the breather goes i will be putting a external filler out the front of the boat that has a self breather so the fumes and splashing fuel is not a issue? Does this change your theory?..

Thanks for all the imput guys.. It has been great :thumbup:

Edited by yarraone

• 3 weeks later...

As far as splashing fuel out of the breather goes i will be putting a external filler out the front of the boat that has a self breather so the fumes and splashing fuel is not a issue? Does this change your theory?..

I wouldn't recommend it, I had a stacer 444 with a fuel tank in the front (mod made by the previous owner) it made the nose too heavy which made the boat want to dart left or right when going on the down side of any swell. It made it hard to trim the nose up and in some situations it felt unsafe.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=49145&st=0&p=361132&fromsearch=1entry361132

Well i have had a bit of luck with the repairs, and it seems it may not be as bad as first thought..The starter problem was the solidnoide, and i have managed to purchase 2 for $60 brand new..I also managed to get a new winch with 2ton strap for $50 new.. So things are looking up.. I will do most if not all of the work myself.. :thumbup:

1. Are the winches with the strap better than the cable? What are your thoughts?

Then i am going to put in some boat carpet and a new Bimini cover.. Mount my gas stove at the front of the boat out of the way and all should be good

This is the front with the tank in position.. It is a 80L tank so i will have to fix it in this position.. And I will run a filler hose up through the front of the boat..

Do you think this is a good idea?? As this area never realy gets used when I am fishing.. :1fishing1:

winch straps are great but the golden rule is never leave it wound up if its wet un roll it at home and let it dry out cheers the bull

It would confirm the reasoning to not put a gas bbq anywhere near it. especially if you have a breather anywhere near it. for mine i would set the bbq up on a beach as far away from the petrol tank as i could. only need one spark and GONE!!!!

Hi Yarraone

I am thinking about fitting ski rope to the winch instead (definetly not cable ever again, caused it rusted and snapped). but if you prefer straps are better. not sure yet of price difference cause i havn`t finished the boat, so the trailers later. As for the fuel i prefer all the weight down the back.

Stuball

Edited by STUBALL

Hi Yarraone

I am thinking about fitting ski rope to the winch instead (definetly not cable ever again, caused it rusted and snapped). but if you prefer straps are better. not sure yet of price difference cause i havn`t finished the boat, so the trailers later. As for the fuel i prefer all the weight down the back.

Stuball

Hi Stuball,

have you looked at http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-2157-dyneema-spectra-winch-rope.aspx instead? from what i have been told around the traps, it is amazing!! i will let you be the judge of that as i still use the webbing type winch strap.

just a thought which may suit your needs..