Wats This

Ojay Samson

Question

hey raiders, i went out for a fishing sesh with a highschool mate last night/this morning and i caught this early in the night....

it was a pretty solid looking fish... looked delicious but wasnt too sure wat it is haha.... i hope its not good eating cos it was the only decent thing i caught all freezing night & threw it back.

most colourful looking fish ive ever caught thats for sure, its soo puurdy

it also made grunting noises

Image0557.jpg

Image0558.jpg

Image0556.jpg

Image0559.jpg

13 answers to this question

That looks like a Red Gurnard ... and yes they are a very nice eating fish. Very good looking fish but not a common catch.

Yep i would have to agree... A red Gurnard.. i used to catch these alot down at Sussex inlet

thanks fellas.

nooooooo... im regretting thowing him back now :(

That's right Rick they grunt. The colour doesn't take long to start fading, I think that's why a lot of anglers let them go, not knowing how good the flesh is, what there is of it. I remember the first one I caught off Rosa Gully, I rang the wife and told her how great the colours were, by the time I got home it had lost about 50% of it's colour and in those day's a camera on the house brick I called a mobile phone was sci/fi. So as not to kill it for nothing I filleted it and on the Barbie it went, and that was the start of not releasing any more. Thanks mate for your email today.

Regards Jeff