Jigging Rod Vs Spinning Rod

patchy

Jigging and spinning are different styles of fishing. Jigging is using usually large metal jigs that you drop straight down and work vertically under the boat... hopefully over a reef or structure holding fish. A jig rod is often (but not always) short and designed to work line classes and lure weights that are relatively heavy. Most (but not all) aren't really suitable for casting lures.

Spinning rods are for exactly what you'd expect although the description goes a bit wider. They're rods suitable for fishing involving spinning with lures but really can be used to describe most kinds of fishing involving casting, where the rod is matched to a spinning (egg-beater) style reel (there are then a bunch of spinning rod styles themselves designed for specific purposes though...)

What sort of fishing do you want to do? What would you like to catch and where?

Cheers, Slinky

i want to start using lures off the rocks, and want to buy a new rod and reel, as my 12ft. is too heavy and my reel is also too big, and was looking at rods and didnt' know which one to get...

jig rods are really for boats

there no good for throwing lures as they are too short

you could possibly use one of the lighter rated rods that are slightly longer

but they are not made to throw lures just made to work vertical

i would go with a nice spin rod ill sure some one will have some good advise on what size to go as i dont fish off the rocks

Edited by Framedtrash

Rods for off the rocks luring, look at spin and popper rods for that style off fishing. Jig rods fold all the way to the handles so you can fight straight up and down. You need power in the middle section of the rod to fight fish away from you...

Lenght also gives you casting distance.

Greg

Edited by GregL

Rods for off the rocks luring, look at spin and popper rods for that style off fishing. Jig rods fold all the way to the handles so you can fight straight up and down. You need power in the middle section of the rod to fight fish away from you...

Lenght also gives you casting distance.

Greg

thanks greg, so 9ft. spinning rod or so would be good?

It comes down to personal preference, some like shorter rods off the rocks, others like longer rods. It also depends on what type of spinning you want to do. If it's mostly going to be throwing metal lures and poppers using about 20-30 lb mainline then I'd go for something long, 12-13ft. That gives you better control when fighting the fish because you can direct it away from rocks and the like. The nitro surf assassin and messiah are awesome rods if you have the budget (about $350-400). If you want to use soft plastics all the time, the a bit shorter will make it easier to put the action on the lure, although 12ft is still ok, you just have to work harder. The main reason you'd go shorter is if you wanted to use heavy mainline, the leverage effect of a 12ft rod with 50-100lb main is pretty hard work if you have the drag turned up. That said you can combat that by lowering the tip a bit on really hard pulls...

My suggestion for a good all round rod is the nitro surf assassin. They're 10kg, light as, cast well and are still easy to use with soft plastics. The messiah is awesome too, it's a bit longer and stronger (13ft, 15kg) and is great for pretty much anything off the rocks including kings - although will be hard work with a big hood on but not impossible and the extra length is great when they're close to the rocks. As for reels, the stradic 6000 is pretty hard to go past in my opinion. They're cheapish and have some good features.

That's just my opinion and everyone has a different one in some way or another...